Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back

+10
ullmandds
rhettyeakley
CobbSpikedMe
t206head
asoriano
Abravefan11
joejack
sabrjay
TheBig6
fisherboy7
14 posters

Go down

Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Empty Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back

Post by fisherboy7 Wed May 20, 2009 2:31 am

I'd like to invite you all to share scans of cards that have interesting stamps/writing on the back.

What inspired this thread is that I was flipping through some of my caramel cards the other day, and saw a few stamps on the back of my E96 Herzog that I hadn't noticed before. Do they look familiar to anyone? Have you seen these stamps on other e cards from the era?

Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back E96her11

And a few special requests:

Andy (CobbSpikedMe): Please share your t206 back stamp project with the board, I only found out about it because you just told me. Very cool!

Zach: If possible, it would be great to see some of those bio backed exhibits from your collection. They're terrific.

Last edited by fisherboy7 on Wed May 20, 2009 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Empty Re: Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back

Post by TheBig6 Wed May 20, 2009 3:21 am

Ben, It's hard to tell for sure but it looks like one of the stamps on the back of your card could be the Yellow Kid who was a famous late 19th century Comic Character. The ears might be the give away

Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back 180px-YellowKid
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Empty Re: Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back

Post by sabrjay Wed May 20, 2009 3:53 am

It most certainly is the Yellow Kid. Thought the stamp looked familiar.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Wed May 20, 2009 4:23 am

Yellow Kid, huh. I think you're spot on too Jerry. Great eye!

Any ideas on the other stamp? Could it be military related? Kind of looks like he's holding a rifle or something on his right side.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Wed May 20, 2009 5:35 am

I can't make out the other figure, seeing as how the stamp ink looks the same it might be a another character from the Hogan's Alley Comic strip that Yellow Kid was derived from. Maybe a cop with a night stick.

Ben, Now if you can get SGC to slab it as E96 Buck Herzog (Yellow Kid Overprint). You would have a one of a kind overprint card.
Kidding aside , It Doesn't really differ much from the Toy Town stamps as that was just a stamp from a kids Game.

I think Quan, discovered the Toy Town stamp from the game.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by joejack Wed May 20, 2009 9:09 am

I have only purchased 1 card with a stamp on it and quickly sold it to a collector of that particular stamp. For the life of me I can't remember the exact stamp but as I recall it was a LARGE single letter, old english style font.. argh. Do specific stamps or overprints demand a premium?

Last edited by joejack on Wed May 20, 2009 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

joejack
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Right_bar_bleue

http://www.nyyankeecards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Abravefan11 Wed May 20, 2009 6:58 pm

joejack wrote:I have only purchased 1 card with a stamp on it and quickly sold it to a collector of that particular stamp. For the life of me I can't remember the exact stamp but as I recall it was a LARGE single letter, old english style font.. argh. Do specific stamps or overprints demand a premium??

If the letter is an "F" it's a stamp I have seen on T206's. Some people believe they could be from the collection of F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Abravefan11
Abravefan11
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by asoriano Wed May 20, 2009 8:42 pm

An interesting stamp on the back of a T206 Shaughnessy:

Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Scan0010
asoriano
asoriano
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by t206head Wed May 20, 2009 11:28 pm

Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Sc010e10
t206head
t206head
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Left_bar_bleue6 / 1006 / 100Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by CobbSpikedMe Thu May 21, 2009 3:21 am

I love T206's with stamps on the backs of them!

As Ben mentioned, I am currently (and much too slowly than I would like) working on The Great T206 Back Stamp Project. Basically, I am trying to document as many back stamps as I can on T206s. I have both a website set up to archive the images and, as like stamps are discovered, create "collections" of the similar stamps, as well as a blog where I post each new image as I find them.

I have a bunch of new additions that I need to upload for the project so I'll try to get those up soon.

Everyone is asked to participate and spread the word if you would like. There is more detail on the website which you can check out here.

As a side note, my focus on collecting T206s has now been to only pick up new examples that do have a back stamp on them. And the Purple Number back stamps are highest on my wantlist and I am always looking for and interested in these ones in case you ever see one.

Let me know what y'all think. Very Happy

Thanks a lot,

AndyH

Last edited by CobbSpikedMe on Thu May 21, 2009 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
CobbSpikedMe
CobbSpikedMe
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Right_bar_bleue

http://forloveofthecards.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CobbSpikedMe Thu May 21, 2009 3:23 am

I forgot to add some pics...

Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back PointingFinger.101008 Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back 42.PurpStamp.Powers.back
CobbSpikedMe
CobbSpikedMe
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

http://forloveofthecards.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Thu May 21, 2009 4:09 am

Turner, Your stamp looks like a sailor saluting.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by rhettyeakley Thu May 21, 2009 7:37 am

This is one of my favorite cards I own...
Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back N172gerhardt Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back N172gerhardtback

rhettyeakley
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu May 21, 2009 1:51 pm

i got this one a few years in a Lipset lot...for some reason I thought it was advertised as a toy town stamp...but i'd guess more like an RCA stamp!

Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back T20sta13
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Thu May 21, 2009 2:54 pm

Peter, I think your stamp is Bonzo the Dog a 1920's Comic Character. It's the ears again and the smile
Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back 2241337512_65e060ab22
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu May 21, 2009 3:17 pm

ha ha...if you see that dog smiling...you have better vision than me...that's quite a collection you have there...cool! there seems to be a pattern developing here...makes perfect sense a lot of these stamps are related to iconic characters of the era kids may have been into!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Thu May 21, 2009 3:36 pm

Thats not my collection, just a scan I lifted from the net.
Vintage Toys and related items is another of my passions.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Empty Buck Barker back

Post by fisherboy7 Mon May 25, 2009 4:51 pm

Here's the back of a 1937-38 Zeenut Mills with the vintage scrawlings of hobby legend Buck Barker. Plenty of these floating around in collections nationwide - gotta love em.

Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Zeenut2
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cmoking Tue May 26, 2009 2:46 am

The contents of the writing isn't very interesting and it is not baseball related at all. But still, I figured I'd show it.

Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back R312%20Vaughan%20Wagner%20raw%20PoorCards with interesting stamps/writing on the back R312%20Vaughan%20Wagner%20raw%20Poor%20Back

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by hrbaker Tue May 26, 2009 2:58 am

Here are a couple that I have always found interesting. The top is the back of a 1922 Jack Quinn Exhibit. It is one of a number of Exhibits that I have where the original collector meticulously recorded the statistics of the player in fountain pen on the back. Much like a precursor to the modern day cards with stats on the back. The bottom card is a 1920 W516-1 babe Adams with a handwritten advertisement for some type of promotion. It says, "Save your tablet fronts and win a prize." L.A. Becker I also used to have a 1921 Tris Speaker Exhibit with a grocery list written on the back.
Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Backs
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Tue May 26, 2009 3:06 am

Man, that is someone that really loved the game. That is really cool.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Empty PC

Post by smtjoy Tue May 26, 2009 3:09 am

I have two post cards I like but not pre WW2 but I enjoy what is written on them-

Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Pcdoak

Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Pcdoakb

Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back 53dormanmantle
Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back 53dormanmantleb
smtjoy
smtjoy
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue May 26, 2009 2:06 pm

very cool postcards.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Cards with interesting stamps/writing on the back Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down