Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone know anything about these stamps!

5 posters

Go down

Does anyone know anything about these stamps! Empty Does anyone know anything about these stamps!

Post by ullmandds Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:11 am

Does anyone know anything about this sheet of stamps of the 1943 World Series Champion New York Yankees...printed in 1944?
[img]Does anyone know anything about these stamps! -110[/img]
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Does anyone know anything about these stamps! Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Does anyone know anything about these stamps! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know anything about these stamps! Empty Re: Does anyone know anything about these stamps!

Post by sabrjay Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:10 am

When I was chasing my player set I would see them fairly often on eBay. Don't recall them selling for too much but never saw a whole sheet like that.

Last edited by sabrjay on Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Does anyone know anything about these stamps! Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Does anyone know anything about these stamps! Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know anything about these stamps! Empty Re: Does anyone know anything about these stamps!

Post by nolemmings Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:37 am

Fairly common--I've seen several sheets over the past few years. Nice looking stamps though, and I've been tempted to pick up a sheet--they're ususally modestly priced.

here's the OC write-up: http://www.oldcardboard.com/o/stamps/yankees/yankees.asp?cardsetID=1081
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Does anyone know anything about these stamps! Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Does anyone know anything about these stamps! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rhettyeakley Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:40 am

They were indeed a team issued item and aren't terribly rare but they are pretty neat because they provide something resembling a card of some players not featured elsewhere. They are in the big SCD book (on page 244 in my 2009 edition I'm still using). The ind. stamps generally sell for $3-$25 each or so depending on the player (McCarthy probably being the most valuable). As a sheet I would peg the value at about $150-175 or so.
-Rhett

rhettyeakley
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Does anyone know anything about these stamps! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Does anyone know anything about these stamps! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rhettyeakley Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:42 am

Apparently, Todd and I were posting at the same time.

I will add that I see a lot more of the stamps than I do the stamp booklets (they seem to be the tougher item).
-Rhett

rhettyeakley
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Does anyone know anything about these stamps! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Does anyone know anything about these stamps! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:16 am

thanks guys...rhett...considering it was free...and im a yankees fan...I'm happy! Smile
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:13 pm

Why isn't Joe D represented? Was he off for the War...isn't that kinda early?
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by nolemmings Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:58 pm

You guessed it Pete--Joe enlisted in Feb. 1943 and was not on that WS championship squad.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:13 am

nolemmings wrote:You guessed it Pete--Joe enlisted in Feb. 1943 and was not on that WS championship squad.

I always knew Frank Crosetti was a coward. Now this confirms it.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:59 pm

"I always knew Frank Crosetti was a coward. Now this confirms it."

And according to Jim Bouton's "Ball Four"...not a very good coach either!!!

ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down