Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vintage cards with period writing on them

+9
mzm55
cmoking
wonkaticket
asphaltman76
ullmandds
Jacklitsch
zouraspm
CobbSpikedMe
fisherboy7
13 posters

Go down

Vintage cards with period writing on them Empty Vintage cards with period writing on them

Post by fisherboy7 Sat May 17, 2008 6:40 am

All sorts of distinctive markings out there on our beloved vintage cardboard and some of it can be pretty interesting. Buck Barker might be the most well known back-scrawler - his markings are very distinctive and are seen on a wide variety of prewar cards from N172's to Zeenuts and everything inbetween. What a great collector he must have been to own so many cards and to track the careers of all the players on their backs.

Lets see your vintage cards with period writing on them, front or back.

Here's a Barker zeenut from my "personal collection" (lol).

Vintage cards with period writing on them Zeenut2......Vintage cards with period writing on them Zeenut
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Vintage cards with period writing on them Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Vintage cards with period writing on them Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Vintage cards with period writing on them Empty Re: Vintage cards with period writing on them

Post by CobbSpikedMe Sat May 17, 2008 6:45 am

I love cards that have period writing on them. I'm always looking for these W516's that have this prize back from a teacher named L.A. Becker. I can imagine being in his class and having him give out these cards for good behavior or whatever.

Vintage cards with period writing on them W516adamsprizeVintage cards with period writing on them W516adamsprizeback
Vintage cards with period writing on them W516barnesprizeVintage cards with period writing on them W516barnesprizeback

Thanks,

AndyH
CobbSpikedMe
CobbSpikedMe
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Vintage cards with period writing on them Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Vintage cards with period writing on them Right_bar_bleue

http://forloveofthecards.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Vintage cards with period writing on them Empty Re: Vintage cards with period writing on them

Post by zouraspm Sat May 17, 2008 10:27 am

Vintage cards with period writing on them VittbVintage cards with period writing on them Vittf2Vintage cards with period writing on them M116collinsfVintage cards with period writing on them M116collinsb
zouraspm
zouraspm
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Vintage cards with period writing on them Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Vintage cards with period writing on them Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacklitsch Sat May 17, 2008 12:01 pm

On the back of a 34 or 36 Zeenut:
Vintage cards with period writing on them Z34or36NitcholasBack

On the backs of 1911 Zeenuts. Very common to see period writing on them.
Vintage cards with period writing on them DulinBack
Vintage cards with period writing on them ORourkeTrimmedBack
Jacklitsch
Jacklitsch
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Vintage cards with period writing on them Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Vintage cards with period writing on them Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Vintage cards with period writing on them Empty here are a few

Post by ullmandds Sat May 17, 2008 1:32 pm

Andy H...i've got a bunch of those, wanna trade?
pete in mn
Vintage cards with period writing on them Stripb11

[list]
[*]
Vintage cards with period writing on them Stripf11
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Vintage cards with period writing on them Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Vintage cards with period writing on them Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by asphaltman76 Sat May 17, 2008 5:09 pm

Have seen this guy sign his name on quite a few....Alson Grose it looks like?

Vintage cards with period writing on them GasslerkildufffVintage cards with period writing on them Gasslercauseyf
asphaltman76
asphaltman76
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Vintage cards with period writing on them Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Vintage cards with period writing on them Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by wonkaticket Sat May 17, 2008 5:11 pm

Vintage cards with period writing on them Hoffman
wonkaticket
wonkaticket
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

http://imageevent.com/piojohn3/collection

Back to top Go down

Post by cmoking Sat May 17, 2008 5:59 pm

Vintage cards with period writing on them 1919W5142BabeRuthSGC20BackVintage cards with period writing on them 1919W5142BabeRuthSGC20

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Vintage cards with period writing on them Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Vintage cards with period writing on them Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cmoking Sat May 17, 2008 6:01 pm

This one isn't mine. It was in the Sloate Auction recently.

Vintage cards with period writing on them 004_050a_lg

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Vintage cards with period writing on them Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Vintage cards with period writing on them Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun May 18, 2008 4:54 pm

Gotta love the "punk" tag on that Cobb laughing

Still on the lookout for a few gems from the mzm55 exhibit collection.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Vintage cards with period writing on them Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Vintage cards with period writing on them Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by CobbSpikedMe Sun May 18, 2008 6:11 pm

It's not handwriting, but i'm pretty sure it was a collector a long time ago who decided to erase Spade's name and type in Uhler, Cinc. N. on this card. It does have Spade written on the top of the back of the card though.
Vintage cards with period writing on them 04-20-13
EDITED TO ADD: The pic is now showing. Very Happy
AndyH

Last edited by CobbSpikedMe on Mon May 19, 2008 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
CobbSpikedMe
CobbSpikedMe
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Vintage cards with period writing on them Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Vintage cards with period writing on them Right_bar_bleue

http://forloveofthecards.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mzm55 Sun May 18, 2008 8:33 pm

Hey Ben,

I'm out of town right now (Cooperstown, actually) but will post some of the exhibits when I get back. I'm glad you mentioned them as I forgot I had them; they're sitting in a binder on a shelf and haven't been looked at in some time.

mzm55
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Vintage cards with period writing on them Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Vintage cards with period writing on them Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Orioles1954 Sun May 18, 2008 9:46 pm

In our lastest Huggins and Scott Auction that is going live in June, we have a 1928 Star Player Candy Cobb with a Barker back stamp and a pencil indentation that reads R317? Of course SGC gave it a PR 10 grade. However, I kind of bashed SGC in my write-up of the item.

James

Orioles1954
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun May 18, 2008 10:03 pm

Barker cards are so common and his hand writing so well known that there is no reason for SGC to not slab those cards as Barker Collection.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Vintage cards with period writing on them Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Vintage cards with period writing on them Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Vintage cards with period writing on them Empty how about stamping?

Post by cccc Mon May 19, 2008 12:42 am

not as interesting, but i think lionel stamped this card before he went off to war Wink

Vintage cards with period writing on them 200
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Vintage cards with period writing on them Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Vintage cards with period writing on them Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by t206head Mon May 19, 2008 2:15 am

I got this crazy stamp on a Fred SnodgrassVintage cards with period writing on them Dscn1413
t206head
t206head
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Vintage cards with period writing on them Left_bar_bleue6 / 1006 / 100Vintage cards with period writing on them Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Wed May 21, 2008 1:14 am

mzm55 wrote:Hey Ben,

I'm out of town right now (Cooperstown, actually) but will post some of the exhibits when I get back. I'm glad you mentioned them as I forgot I had them; they're sitting in a binder on a shelf and haven't been looked at in some time.

When ever you get a chance to bust those exhibits out to show...that would be cool. I'll never get tired of looking at those.

If they're just collecting dust, maybe we should put our trader caps on Zach salute

Hope you had a good Cooperstown trip!
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by mzm55 Wed May 21, 2008 7:23 pm

Ha, no, they're not going anywhere. I've made a promise to myself that any cards that were obtained with my Dad will never be sold or trade. I have scans of the Hall of Famers and a few other favorites, i'll post them later this evening.

mzm55
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Vintage cards with period writing on them Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Vintage cards with period writing on them Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu May 22, 2008 3:41 pm

I couldn't think of a better reason to hang on to them Zach. They are a really special group. Looking forward to seeing some scans again (don't mean to push though - whenever you get to it).

frog
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down