Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How is the card market treating you? As a seller or buyer

+9
Bosox Blair
bowlingshoeguy
Square_Frame_Ramly
nolemmings
sabrjay
cccc
ItsOnlyGil
hanksta
crazylocomerk
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How is the card market treating you?  As a seller or buyer - Page 2 Empty Re: How is the card market treating you? As a seller or buyer

Post by crazylocomerk Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:34 pm

I unfortunately needed to sell a few cards and misc. items to pick up some T216's I needed, and to have a little extra cash just in case.

Seems like the market has no effect on the rare backed T216's (MINOs and Virginia Extras). I actually had to pay more for my most recent MINO addition then I ever have in the past.....even when the market was good. Some HOFers in the T216 set still command very strong prices with little to no decrease in prices seen. Then somehow, I was able to land a Plank for what I view as a really good price. But I was very fortunate, and if it came up for sale again, I'd never land it at that price......I think.

Some examples of losses I've taken over the last few months:

1) 1914 Charles Hansford Federal League Contract: Sold at a 42% loss

2) T206 Graham (ghost): 28% loss (though this was a cheapo card....only an SGC 20)

3) T206 Marquard signed card: Sold at a 32% loss.

4) T212 OBAK Kusel with the "Just Right" ad back. Very, very tough card: Sold at a 65% loss.

5) T206 McAleese (ghost) SGC 40: Sold at a 60% loss.

6) T206 signed Doyle card: Sold at a 29% loss

7) E94 Murray PSA 3: 35% loss

I did break even on a couple of sales though.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
How is the card market treating you?  As a seller or buyer - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100How is the card market treating you?  As a seller or buyer - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

How is the card market treating you?  As a seller or buyer - Page 2 Empty Re: How is the card market treating you? As a seller or buyer

Post by Bosox Blair Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:59 pm

crazylocomerk wrote:I unfortunately needed to sell a few cards and misc. items to pick up some T216's I needed, and to have a little extra cash just in case.

Seems like the market has no effect on the rare backed T216's (MINOs and Virginia Extras). I actually had to pay more for my most recent MINO addition then I ever have in the past.....even when the market was good. Some HOFers in the T216 set still command very strong prices with little to no decrease in prices seen. Then somehow, I was able to land a Plank for what I view as a really good price. But I was very fortunate, and if it came up for sale again, I'd never land it at that price......I think.

Some examples of losses I've taken over the last few months:

1) 1914 Charles Hansford Federal League Contract: Sold at a 42% loss

2) T206 Graham (ghost): 28% loss (though this was a cheapo card....only an SGC 20)

3) T206 Marquard signed card: Sold at a 32% loss.

4) T212 OBAK Kusel with the "Just Right" ad back. Very, very tough card: Sold at a 65% loss.

5) T206 McAleese (ghost) SGC 40: Sold at a 60% loss.

6) T206 signed Doyle card: Sold at a 29% loss

7) E94 Murray PSA 3: 35% loss

I did break even on a couple of sales though.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for posting your examples.

Sorry to hear about your losses on those items - esecially tough when the proceeds were used to buy T216s which had not gone down in value! Let's hope the T216s you have keep going up (and the ones you need don't Cool ).

Cheers,
Blair
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
How is the card market treating you?  As a seller or buyer - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100How is the card market treating you?  As a seller or buyer - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:47 am

Bosox Blair wrote:

Hi Eric,

Thanks for posting your examples.

Sorry to hear about your losses on those items - esecially tough when the proceeds were used to buy T216s which had not gone down in value! Let's hope the T216s you have keep going up (and the ones you need don't Cool ).

Cheers,
Blair

No problem. Though it sucks, I'm not too upset. T216's are pretty tough, so I'm not worried about them going down much.

Hey at least I got some cards that I really like!
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:03 am

I personally have been purchases cards I have wanted and cards for resell. The T206 market seems soft for the common backs but strong for the uncommon backs. The T202s have been there normal inconsistent prices, and the 19th century cards I have been able to pick up at what I feel are bargains (N28s & N29s). I would not mind these lower prices for a while longer I just wish the Cycle 460s for go down so I can pick a few more up cheap.

Happy Holidays

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
How is the card market treating you?  As a seller or buyer - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100How is the card market treating you?  As a seller or buyer - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:12 pm

Business as usual. Some of the things which I buy are off peak price, but not all.
I am not a seller.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
How is the card market treating you?  As a seller or buyer - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100How is the card market treating you?  As a seller or buyer - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:57 am

Trying to pick up some relative bargains. Not really selling much. I may get a few higher end items graded in preparation for sale, but am not necessarily in a hurry to sell them... unless, of course, more bargains arise such that I need the capital. In that case, a small loss on more common, higher end items can easily be outweighed by a bargain on a more rare item.

...always looking for e107 HOF bargains!
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
How is the card market treating you?  As a seller or buyer - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100How is the card market treating you?  As a seller or buyer - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:39 pm

As a buyer - ok

As a seller - horrible

Dan
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
How is the card market treating you?  As a seller or buyer - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100How is the card market treating you?  As a seller or buyer - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:45 pm

Reminds me of the early 80s. There were great deals to be had, IF you could find someone willing to sell. I was always looking for an m101-4/5 of Ruth or Thorpe at a decent price but never could find one that I was willing to buy for the asking the price. If only I had know that $200 for a really nice Ruth back then would be a mere drop in the bucket today

Jay

Last edited by sabrjay on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
How is the card market treating you?  As a seller or buyer - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100How is the card market treating you?  As a seller or buyer - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by psacollector Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:34 pm

Prices for most prewar cards, as well as for any collectibles, are very cheap compared to six months ago. I want to say now is a good time to buy, but cannot help but to think that prices are going to go down even further in the months to come.
psacollector
psacollector
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
How is the card market treating you?  As a seller or buyer - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100How is the card market treating you?  As a seller or buyer - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:25 am

In the interest of full disclosure (since I have posted a few times to say that I'm not seeing many great deals despite the economy) I have to say that I just got a very nice deal on 3 separate Ebay lots of SGC-graded cards I need for my '59 Fleer Ted Williams set. These were very high grades (2 cards were 96 and the other 92). The SMR book price on all these was $550. I got them all for $139.

Still not seeing that kind of deal on pre-war...but I'm looking!!!

Cheers,
Blair
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:06 pm

As a present seller of post war stuff, the market seems like it is all over the place. I have sold a few things, gotten killed on a few, broke even on a few, and made a nice profit on others. Fortunately, the one I made the most profit on was the most expensive one I had for sale on eBay. Still a few more to go... The new selling fee structure isn't fun though.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
How is the card market treating you?  As a seller or buyer - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100How is the card market treating you?  As a seller or buyer - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2