Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves!

+13
bowlingshoeguy
scott elkins
rman444
glenv
sabrjay
pro9
ItsOnlyGil
cccc
onlychild
the-illini
hanksta
TheBig6
fisherboy7
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Empty Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves!

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:15 am

I've spotted some great cabinet cards in the collections of Full Count members, so I know you guys are out there. Jerry was showing a few of his beautiful N173 HOFers the other night which inspired this topic.

I don't own any cabinets currently, but in the past I've had the pleasure of owning a Duke Delahanty, N173 common, W600 Lajoie, an Old Mill Cabinet (the rarest cab I've owned) a Joseph Hall team cabinet, and of course T3's. They are all great! Some day I'd love to own a HOFer Plow Boy/Horner, or a T4.

So, do you collect cabinet cards? Which ones have you owned, own currently, or dream of owning? Which sets are your favorites? Show 'em if you got 'em Exclamation
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Empty Re: Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves!

Post by TheBig6 Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:14 am

I collected these 19th century cabinets when they didn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm glad I did, althought I did let a few nice ones get away but managed to hold on to these.

My favorites are, of course N173's but I like most cabinet cards pretaining to Baseball, Heck I like any Cabinet card with an interesting image.. I'd love to have a Duke Delahanty, that would be my dream cabinet

Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! WrightCabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! KellyCabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Keefe110Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Ward110

Last edited by on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Empty Re: Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves!

Post by hanksta Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:10 pm

My hope is to win the W600 Collins in the Goodwin auction, that is probably my favorite portrait pose (and he was the Mpls manager.)

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetail2.aspx?lotid=3735

sdbh
hanksta
hanksta
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Right_bar_bleue

http://www.millcitycards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by the-illini Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:16 pm

Jerry those are beautiful!!!!

Here is my all time favorite cabinet (well, that I own at least!)

Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! N173an10
the-illini
the-illini
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Left_bar_bleue11 / 10011 / 100Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/crb972

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:45 pm

Thanks Chris
Nice Anson righton
Thats a card I would love to have.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:23 pm

Great N173's guys. Good luck on that W600, Sean.

I guess it's not entirely true that I don't own any cabinets right now. I do have this 1888 Sporting Times Cigar cabinet of the NY Giants:

Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Cigarcab

It's chewed up on the corners (as most of these are), but it sure is nice having Keefe, Ward, Welch, Ewing, Connor, and O'Rourke all on the same card Very Happy
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by onlychild Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:01 pm

Close....for now I only own the Cabinet card ad.

Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Oldjud11
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Right_bar_bleue

http://www.AlteredCards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:46 am

i know other orientals dig them...rman, elliot...but i just can't get into cabs. they're too big for my liking and i don't store them right. don't regret selling any of the ones i've had w600 lajoie/bender, t3 hofs t5 plank...except maybe for too cheap before they took off!

i remember seeing a sweet VG/EX+ plowboy evers on ebay bin for 2.2k a few years back and i was chatting with E back and forth and decided against it...that would've been a sweet card now.

On another note, don't ask E for any advices on buying. He'd just talk you out of it and tell you to put it in some not-so-fun stuff like ira or mutual fund and retire at age 35 like him...boooo frustrated
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:50 am

Ben - thats also the two Cannonball Team!
Crane and Titcomb. Smile
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:13 am

While were on the subject of Cabinet cards, I was thinking about N173 and how much rarer N173 Dogsheads cabinets are compared to Old Judge Cabinets.

My question is how Dogheads were obtained, did you have to send in coupons from Dogheads cigarette's and Dogheads were crappy cigarettes. Or were they issued randomly and they didn't print many.

I don't think I have ever seen a coupon or Checklist with Dogheads advertising.

Does anybody have a theory or know for sure how Dogheads were obtained and why they are so much rarer than Old Judge.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:01 am

So much misinformation....it was 39 not 35. Very Happy
Although I do agree with Quan, don't collect cabinet cards, they're big and bulky and hard to store.
Quan, even if you had bought the Evers, you would have sold it a long time ago.
Jerry, Dogs Head was a seperate brand from Old Judge, same manufacturer. I believe that you needed to send in Dogs Head coupons to get the Dogs Head mount. As an aside Old Judge cabinets also come in different color mounts.

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:54 pm

Hey E, remember when the Yeakleys listed that gorgeous snow white Horner Cab with a $800 BIN? I didn't have the cash at the time so I killed the BIN and it ended up selling for 3Kish. This was maybe 5-6 years ago. Remember? Huh? Huh? Razz

Re: the different colors of regular N173 mounts; the color possibilities I recall are the common tan, white (like Chris' Anson), and the black mounts (very tough). Any others I'm missing?

The Dogshead question is a good one Jerry. Elliot gave you a good answer but I'd like to learn even more about them as well. What I do know is that their rarity can be attributed to the fact that Dogs Head Cigarettes wasn't a very popular brand, and therefore fewer coupons were sent in to Goodwin to be redeemed.

Many Dogs Head N173's are likely 1/1's (especially the less popular players), and just a small fraction of the regular N173 subjects are featured on Dogs Head cards. It's also quite probable that the current Dogs Head checklist is far from complete with plenty of examples still yet to be uncovered to the hobby.

Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! 1888DogsHeadCabinet
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:28 pm

Yes, I remember. Crying or Very sad

No question that the Dogs Head checklist is incomplete, as there are quite a few uncatalogued n173's let alone DogsHead.
I think the Anson is the same regular color mount. I know that there is a blue mount for N173's and I believe a dark red (maroon).

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:25 am

pro9 wrote:I know that there is a blue mount for N173's and I believe a dark red (maroon).
Not sure if I've ever seen a blue or dark red mounted N173. Sounds very cool. Probably asking too much, but if anyone could provide a scan I'd love to see what one of those looks like.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:18 am

Speaking of cool looking cabinets, how about this black mounted Kalamazoo Bats team cabinet drool

Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Kbats_cabinet_black_boston
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:47 pm

nice work with the black marker not to get it on the picture or the logo geek

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:17 pm

Just wondering if any of the newer members are cabinet card collectors as well Question
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by glenv Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:33 am

I just have some basic types. Had these for a while, wish I would have kept one or two...
Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Om_cab10

glenv
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:38 am

Glen, that Old Mill Cabinet Fox (top left) is very familiar looking. If I remember correctly, you traded it to me in the deal for the horizontal Big Eater. I bet you still have the Big Eater - wish I could say the same about that cabinet. frustrated
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Empty cabs

Post by rman444 Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:59 am

Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Jkamatty

Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Jkacobbfront
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by glenv Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:12 am

Yes Ben, the Fox was yours, and I still have the Big Eater. Unfortunately I needed money and sold two - should have traded them. frustrated Money seems to be worthless when trying to pry cards away from people, but good trade bait...

glenv
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:00 am

Wow, rman and Glen bring out the heavy artillery. drool

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:56 am

pro9 wrote:Wow, rman and Glen bring out the heavy artillery. drool

You can say that again, geesh. Those JK&A cabinets are awesome.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:55 pm

Ditto what Ben said! Shocked That Cobb is SIMPLY AMAZING! I knew I should have jumped on the Cobb Mike Wheat had in similar condition a few years back! frustrated BTW - they even look better in SGC holders. righton

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:08 pm

Boy, I have never seen many of those cabinets. drool They are really nice.

I keep telling myseolf I must stay focused and not stray but is tough when you see cards like these. One big deterent is the prices. What would the Matty and Cobb go for?

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Cabinet collectors - reveal yourselves! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next