Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Type card collectors....anyone seen one of these before?

5 posters

Go down

Type card collectors....anyone seen one of these before? Empty Type card collectors....anyone seen one of these before?

Post by asphaltman76 Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:49 pm

I'm not even sure what it is...but couldn't pass it up.

Type card collectors....anyone seen one of these before? Benntheatrebishop
asphaltman76
asphaltman76
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Type card collectors....anyone seen one of these before? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Type card collectors....anyone seen one of these before? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Type card collectors....anyone seen one of these before? Empty Re: Type card collectors....anyone seen one of these before?

Post by hanksta Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:10 pm

Beats the heck out of me, but for the price, I would have taken a shot at it.
hanksta
hanksta
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Type card collectors....anyone seen one of these before? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Type card collectors....anyone seen one of these before? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.millcitycards.com

Back to top Go down

Type card collectors....anyone seen one of these before? Empty Neat card

Post by nolemmings Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:53 pm

The Benn Teatre was located in Philly, built in 1923 and closed in 1975.
The movies listed on the back were released in 1930, which probably prompted the date given by SGC.
Max Bishop played most of his career with Philly, so it may have been a team or local issue in terms of player checklist--of course, one data point is too small a sample to say.

What are the dimensions of the card?
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Type card collectors....anyone seen one of these before? Empty Re: Type card collectors....anyone seen one of these before?

Post by glenv Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:12 pm

Not sure what the issue is, but I've seen some blank back ones, plus six Villa Theater cards. Thought there was another back too. Leon has some pictured on his web site. If I remember right, they seem to be pretty thin. I'd bet they were cut out from something. People seem to like drawing on them, as a number had the players outlined in pen.

glenv
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Type card collectors....anyone seen one of these before? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Type card collectors....anyone seen one of these before? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by asphaltman76 Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:45 pm

I don't know the dimensions yet...I dont have it in hand as of yet. I tried just looking up the set on SGC's population report..but couldn't find anything, was wanting to see if others have been slabbed. They could well be there though, i'm just horrible trying to look up anything on that site.

I think they are probably a "sister" issue of this set in the link below Glen....same town, different theatre company.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/baseball_cards/baseball_cards_oneset.php?s=1930bec01
asphaltman76
asphaltman76
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by nolemmings Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:58 pm

Looks like postcard size or thereabouts to me.

I would be curious to know how the Becker Brothers Theatre set was attributed to 1930--does anyone have a back scan? Sammy Hale did not play for the team after 1929 and was traded in December of that year.

Maybe the sets were issued to commemorate the A's being in the World Series in 1929 and 1930 (and 1931), as the Benn was issued around World Series time.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by hanksta Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:04 pm

If the size of the SGC label is the same on all slabs it should measure around 3.2" X 5.5".

I didn't see any of the 4 players you had from the possible sister set graded by SGC, I could only find the Bishop.
hanksta
hanksta
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

http://www.millcitycards.com

Back to top Go down

Type card collectors....anyone seen one of these before? Empty Benn Theater card

Post by Rich Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:29 am

I saw this "card" listed in Hunt auctions a while back. The description said it was cut out of a theater program, that was a concern to me so I didn't bid. Cool looking card , just not sure it is a card. I have five cards from the Becker Bros. set, all are one-of-a -kind to my knowledge. They were issued in 1929 around world series time not 1930.

Rich
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Type card collectors....anyone seen one of these before? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Type card collectors....anyone seen one of these before? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by asphaltman76 Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:18 am

Rich-

If you could post a scan of one of the Becker cards that would be great. As far as if this Benn Theatre was handcut or not...who knows. That doesn't really turn me off either though. Heck, Darby Chocolates were cut from a box right? Smile
asphaltman76
asphaltman76
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by asphaltman76 Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:20 am

Finally got it in the mail, it's about 3 1/4 x 5 1/4...give or take on that 5 1/4 as you can see the bottom. It does look like a fairly thick stock, I was expecting a little thinner.

Type card collectors....anyone seen one of these before? Bennbishopf
asphaltman76
asphaltman76
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down