Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Type card definition

+2
nolemmings
lentel
6 posters

Go down

Type card definition Empty Type card definition

Post by lentel Tue May 06, 2008 3:59 am

Can I get a proper definition of a "type card"
thanks
lentel
lentel
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Type card definition Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Type card definition Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Type card definition Empty Ill give this a stab

Post by nolemmings Tue May 06, 2008 4:43 am

A type card is, not surprisingly, a card of a certain type. Some collectors, myself included, collect one of many different types of cards, and usually collect by manufacturer, back, and if a particular set has different and meaningful subsets, by one of each. There are really no strict rules, although the basic objective is to obtain one of every type in the niche that interests you. Some collect caramel types, some tobacco, some all types of a particular era or time span. Some collect just HOFers, a particular team, guys from their home state or college, etc. You end up with a very diverse and usually quite attractive collection, and you learn alot about the different ways cards were manufactured and distributed. You also are not a slave to buying cards you don't really like just to complete a particular set; in fact, you can usually grab a card that just strikes you as a good looking pose or cool color combination fairly cheap and fill your "type" need at the same time, although as your type collection grows, you may find yourself paying more than you would like to acquire an unusual or scarce "type".

So a type collector might have four different T206s, for example--a minor leaguer, southern leaguer, HOFer and common major leaguer. Maybe skip one or more. Or add one of each of the many diffferent backs. Maybe also one for each series and/or factory. Of course, maybe just start with one T206, grab a T205, etc and expand into the different subtypes later (or not). Again, no real rules, and a fairly diverse collection can be built and rebuilt as you change your focus.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Type card definition Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Type card definition Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Type card definition Empty Re: Type card definition

Post by CobbSpikedMe Tue May 06, 2008 5:10 am

This is one thing I really enjoy about this forum. A guy asks a question that may be considered common knowledge to some people, but certainly not common knowledge for many others and he gets a kind straight-forward response. No sarcastic ribbing by others. What a nice bunch of collectors we have here.

Disclaimer: Of course I do love sarcastic ribbing of friends (I grew up in Jersey, it's a matter of survival out there), so if you ever get that from me, remember it's all in jest and it shouldn't be taken as anything but friendly banter. nahnahnah

Thanks,

AndyH
CobbSpikedMe
CobbSpikedMe
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Type card definition Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Type card definition Right_bar_bleue

http://forloveofthecards.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Tue May 06, 2008 12:58 pm

To me, type card collecting relys on the collector's definition.
I believe that Leon Luckey identifies "type" by ACC designation primarilly, then adds the theme of acquiring HOFers as each example. Quite an aggressive approach.
I include "type" collections in as much of my card assembly as reasonable. A current example is that I am assembling each 1920s strip card type issued for Walter Johnson. (So that becomes a type set for those sets which represented him - type and theme combined) And actually, this Johnson assembly is the centerpiece of my type collection of cards issued during the twenties which have the common theme of representing players who participated on the 1924 Champion Senators - all others are b/w (including a w553 Goslin which Ben helped me acquire by not bidding against me). There are two variation sets also included in this 1924 Senators assembly. Both are color variations: one is the 1929 4 on 1s of the applicable Senators, the other is a w-517 mini color set of Joe Judge.
insane mallet drool frustrated question scratch bounce confused
And I know this is a bit whacky, but this Senators assembly is a portion of the type cards included in my year 1924 theme grouping; which also addresses the Giants who won their fourth pennant in a row that year. jocolor Ok, I'm back!
A similar alternate would be to accumulate one example of each pink background card, but no more than one per set.
Selecting broader type definitions, such as collect one of each t-card, will likely run into the impossibility of completion due to privately held unique cards within that definition.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Type card definition Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Type card definition Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary! Tue May 06, 2008 2:34 pm

CobbSpikedMe wrote:This is one thing I really enjoy about this forum. A guy asks a question that may be considered common knowledge to some people, but certainly not common knowledge for many others and he gets a kind straight-forward response. No sarcastic ribbing by others. What a nice bunch of collectors we have here.

Disclaimer: Of course I do love sarcastic ribbing of friends (I grew up in Jersey, it's a matter of survival out there), so if you ever get that from me, remember it's all in jest and it shouldn't be taken as anything but friendly banter. nahnahnah

Thanks,

AndyH

Did you say ribs?!

Type card definition Bbq-co10
Gary!
Gary!
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Type card definition Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Type card definition Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by arandy Tue May 06, 2008 11:58 pm

I've always wanted to get one card from each set EVER produced. Thats almost impossible.

-Randy
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Type card definition Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Type card definition Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by arandy Wed May 07, 2008 12:44 am

This guy is a serious type collector!!! He only collects players with the last name Blackburn or something close to that. He has a t207 red cross back!!!

http://www.snap-dragon.com/cards.htm

-Randy
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Type card definition Empty thanks

Post by lentel Wed May 07, 2008 2:52 am

thanks apprecite it. That give me a much better idea of a type card
lentel
lentel
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Type card definition Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Type card definition Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down