Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A survey for set collectors.

5 posters

Go down

A survey for set collectors. Empty A survey for set collectors.

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:59 pm

I'm not a set collector, but I pose the following questions to those who are:

1. How many sets have you completed? Which sets were they?

2. Which did you have the most "fun" building?

3. Of the sets that you've finished, what was the last card that you needed for completion?

4. What sets are you working on now? How far along are you on them?

5. Are you a set collector exclusively, or do you collect in other ways as well? If so, which ways?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
A survey for set collectors. Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100A survey for set collectors. Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

A survey for set collectors. Empty Re: A survey for set collectors.

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:22 pm

1. Technically I have completed one set (T202), I have all the T206 cards up to Demmitt/O'Hare but not sure if that appilies to completed set.

2. I personnally enjoyed putting the T202 set together. The prices have always been all over the place and still are.

3. My last card in the T202 set was Donlin Out at First, Magee/Dooin end panels. Not particularly tough but happened to be my last.

The last T206 I needed of the ones in my psuedo set, were garciously purchased by John Dreker and sent to me free of charge and I really appreciate and thank him for it. I know the Doyle throwing was one of them, can't remember the other.

4. No new sets, working on back variations for both T202s and T206s.

5. Have been a little of both as a set and collector of individual cards.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
A survey for set collectors. Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100A survey for set collectors. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:19 am

Lee also expressed some of his ideas for tweaking his current t206 set. I thought it was interesting, but will leave it up to him if he'd like to share his ideas with the rest of the board.

Anyone else gonna take the survey? naughty
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
A survey for set collectors. Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100A survey for set collectors. Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by cmoking Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:30 am

prewar sets: 1933 Goudey, 1934 Goudey, 1938 Goudey, 1933 World Wide Gum, 1934 World Wide Gum, E92, E93, E95, E96 (bought this as a complete set), W551.

1933 Goudey - actually I've broken up the set and now rebuilding it again.

3. Of the sets that you've finished, what was the last card that you needed for completion?
I really can't remember for any of my completed sets. It wasn't so much that the last card was difficult to find or more expensive than the others, it was a matter of finding the card in the right grade for the right amount.

too many sets and not far enough along in them Smile

5. Are you a set collector exclusively, or do you collect in other ways as well? If so, which ways?
I collect in different ways. I collect some sets to complete them. Others, I'll just pick up the HOFers and other important cards - and not have to worry about the commons - I'm collecting the M116 set that way. I also collect Babe Ruth cards, so that's more of a player set. I have a handful of other HOFers from various sets that I'm not collecting as a set.

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
A survey for set collectors. Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100A survey for set collectors. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by phlflyer1 Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:22 pm

1. T206 (518 card "basic" set), T205 (220 card "master" set), T201, P2, E92 (although still working on an all Crofts Cocoa set), E95 (acquired as a complete set), E98 (acquired as a complete set), E-UNC All Star Baseball, E91 Set B

2. Probably the most fun was completing the All Star Baseball and my current work on the Crofts Cocoa set because it has been combined with a fair amount of research on the cards and companies which produced them which has been very rewarding for me.

3. Can't answer this for T206 and T201 as I completed these long ago.
T205 Master - Wilhelm "Suffered"
P2 - "Old" Cy Young
All Star Baseball - Laporte
E91 Set B - Donlin

4. All Crofts Cocoa E92 set. I am sitting at 48/50 and have located and am working on acquiring one of the two remaining cards that I need.

Also working on a W555 set which is about 12 cards short of completion but new W555s pop up every now and then so there are likely more cards that I need and just don't know about yet.

Was reminded by a fellow board member that I should also add the Fan for a Fan set which I guess I am officially working on since I now have three of the five fans in the set. Still need the Cobb and Doyle fans for completion.

5. Having started in the hobby in the mid 1970s with my father, I have always been primarily a set collector and it is hard to get that out of your blood when used to collecting that way. Since returning to the hobby in 2004, I've branched out to type collecting and have tried to keep a focus on pre 1920 cards and obtaining either Phillies or A's players as my type example where possible.

phlflyer1
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
A survey for set collectors. Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100A survey for set collectors. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by the-illini Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:15 pm

Havent completed any yet!

Of the two I am working on, I would say the W575-2. Tougher cards than most people realize, and I believe there are some scarcities within the set. There certainly are some cards that appear more often - I see Joe Judge and George Kelly all the time...

N/A

W575-2: I am almost halfway - sitting at 19 out of 40. Still need Ruth and Cobb.

Star Player Candy - Just over 60% done. I have 46/73 (although I think the official number should be 72, as no one has ever seen a 1928 Gehrig to my knowledge) including 17 HOFers with Ruth and Cobb included. I doubt this set can be completed, as they never come up for sale...

I collect mainly HOFer cards - just got into set collecting.
the-illini
the-illini
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
A survey for set collectors. Left_bar_bleue11 / 10011 / 100A survey for set collectors. Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/crb972

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down