Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors

+4
TheBig6
bowlingshoeguy
jbonie
browncow75
8 posters

Go down

2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Empty 2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors

Post by browncow75 Fri May 07, 2010 4:33 am

Posted this on "another forum" and wanted to get opinions from all of you who are monogamous forum visitors...

I want to get some opinions on your OJ collecting preferences. I have 2 specific questions. Here they are:

1. When collecting HOFers, uld you rather have an unquestionably trimmed border, that doesn't affect the photo or writing, and has a Ex/Ex+ appearance , OR a rough (Pr/Fr) unaltered card?

2. With altered/trimmed OJ HOFers, what price tier do you consider to be a fair price. For example, if its trimmed, and appears to be Ex+, are you willing to pay Ex+ price, or how many tiers' worth of price would you expect to knock off for the alteration. I know "the book" says most PSA cards with qualifiers trade 2 levels below an unqualified grade.

Basically, Im just trying to not "overpay" for cards when I don't have to. Though I don't necessarily consider myself a "flipper", it would be nice to be able to someday get at least what I paid for the cards I buy! Thanks for any input you are willing to provide!

Brandon
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 1002 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Empty Re: 2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors

Post by jbonie Fri May 07, 2010 4:51 am

Brandon,

I was going to suggest the same thing you did, knock it down two tiers for the trim. A trim isn't technically a "qualifier", but still, I think that level just about makes sense.

My preference is, always go for the bold image. The faded images really aren't attractive to me. If it's a really rare HOFer, like Bid McPhee, that's a different story.

Jamie
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 1002 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Empty Re: 2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors

Post by browncow75 Fri May 07, 2010 4:57 am

Hey Jamie,
Thats what I was figuring. I found some Brown's Champs that I am interested in, and one is a Comiskey which is trimmed but very attractive. The seller is asking $1200 or so, and I thought that might be a little steep for a trimmed example. WWYD?

Brandon
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri May 07, 2010 5:26 am

Brandon,

Do you have a scan? I'd have to see it. Maybe you can talk him down a couple hundred dollars. Buying cards is inherently risky - it's a bit subjective and you never know what it's worth until you try to sell it. I like those Brown's Champs cards, they are unique and important. If it's a good image, it may be worth it.

If it's a card you really love and are going to have for a long time, I'd say go for it. OJ's are a lot more rare than the T206's you bought at Goodwin. I think they are a good investment, and Comiskey is an important card. But the nice thing about the auction format is that there is an underbidder (or two) there to establish a market value.

At any rate, there is nothing wrong with overpaying a little bit to get something special (see, my REA haul). If it's special, it will sell for more later on anyways. You have to ask yourself, is it special? If so, paying $1200 for something with a market value of $1000 is reasonable. Actually, my rule of thumb is to bid 20% more than the market value in order to win the card. It's how I establish my ceiling.

Anyways, good luck whatever you do!

Jamie
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri May 07, 2010 5:30 am

Btw, a little story is that, back in 1998, while in college, I paid $1200 for a card worth $1000 at the time. That was T206 PSA 9. Obviously, it's been a big winner. I can't guarantee the same success, but your card sounds promising Very Happy
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Fri May 07, 2010 6:25 am

Brandon,

One big problem with buying trimmed cards is that it eliminates many potential buyers that will stay away from trimmed cards. Also, people buying trimmed cards tend to want a bargain because it is trimmed and a card over a $1000 tends to not fall into the bargain category, unless it is an Anson or a Kelly or some of the popular cool poses.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 1002 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Fri May 07, 2010 3:36 pm

19th century material is where I can except some condition issues.
I don't think I would want any trimmed cards, unless it was a nice hofer with clear image, at a good price.

Jerry
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 1002 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri May 07, 2010 3:52 pm

With most OJ collectors, it is all about image quality. The only time they will sacrifice that is when it is rare card that is needed. Most trimmed cards should come with a good discount. Most people just don't want them unless it's a rare card or a cheap way to get an otherwise expensive HOFer. Then prices will be a bit higher. Browns champs cards are tough. Even trimmed ones are not going to be discounted a whole lot.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 1002 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Fri May 07, 2010 4:00 pm

I prefer worn over trimmed for my dollar. Eventhough they are often real worn. But yes. Image is the selection criteria.
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 1002 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Fri May 07, 2010 4:37 pm

This one has 2 names written on the back, doesn't bother me a bit.

2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Ferguson2
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 1002 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by the-illini Fri May 07, 2010 4:47 pm

For me, image is everything on an Old Judge. I dont like skinned OJ's much, but I do not mind trimmed cards provided the image is strong.

I got this card of Pud Galvin for about 1/20th of what an untrimmed card would cost. It definitely has its flaws, but the image is great...
2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Galvin10
[/url]
the-illini
the-illini
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Left_bar_bleue11 / 10011 / 1002 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/crb972

Back to top Go down

Post by mzm55 Fri May 07, 2010 7:10 pm

With nineteenth century cards, it's all about the image. Though not an N172, here is an N338-2 I sold a little bit ago which appears much nicer than the technical grade:

2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Net54HessFront

And a sepia card I still and will always own with a nice front and poor back:

2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Maysn172

mzm55
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 1002 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Fri May 07, 2010 7:16 pm

Zach, Thats a nice Buckeye Card.
American Assoc. rocks
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by mzm55 Fri May 07, 2010 7:20 pm

Thanks Jerry, I really dig it. Someday I'd like to collect the team (I've been saying that for about five years), hopefully I'll get around to it sometime.

mzm55
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 1002 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Fri May 07, 2010 8:22 pm

Check out our gallery of OJs and other sets from the era. Some cards are examples from our friends and members personal collections, but most were simply picked up from the public domain.

https://vbbc.forumotion.com/19th-century-cards-f16/
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 1002 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by browncow75 Fri May 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the input! The card I am trying to work out a deal on is a Brown's Champs Comiskey with a VERY nice image, but it has been trimmed slightly on the top and left border. I am in the process of waiting to see if the seller will accept my offer of $1000. I will let you all know what happens. Even if we do work something out it will be a few weeks before I will be able to complete the deal.

Brandon
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri May 07, 2010 10:38 pm

Dude, good luck! I love all those OJ's that were posted, especially the Ferguson.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri May 07, 2010 10:40 pm

Zach, I can't believe you haven't started chasing those Buckeyes yet. That is hometown stuff for you and should be high on the priority list.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 1002 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Fri May 07, 2010 10:52 pm

You know, there are companies which track card prices and present them to you by exact issue, player, set, and other clear identifiers with their actual ebay and other auction prices realized in all grades. Sounds like you need the price range for a n172 Comiskey Browns Champ in Authentic Grade.
Vintage Card Pricer is one of these companies. Bobby Binder runs that database. Ted Golden has an alternate, and there are likely others. All charge a fee.
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Fri May 07, 2010 11:03 pm

I just wanted to show off my $57 John Ward:

2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Ojward10

And $50 Whitney with dog:

2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Oj_dog11

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
2 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 1002 Questions for All of You OJ Collectors Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri May 07, 2010 11:28 pm

I like the Whitney! My extended family has a dog like that - very cute!!! puppy
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down