Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A few questions re: the J=K candy set.

+5
sabrjay
bowlingshoeguy
phlflyer1
r337man
fisherboy7
9 posters

Go down

A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Empty A few questions re: the J=K candy set.

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:13 pm

Since we had a side conversation about J=K going in the Orange Border thread, I'm starting this thread so we can focus on the J=K's.

A few questions for Dan, or whomever else:

1. Do we have any idea why the set is called J=K? Seems like an odd name for a candy brand.

2. Who is J. Koenigsberg and what is his connection with the set?

3. Have any complete J=K boxes been found?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Empty Re: A few questions re: the J=K candy set.

Post by r337man Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:37 pm

Yes there is a known box, not full of the contents but intact and it states J=K Candy on it. Pat Preece has researched this much more than I have so maybe we can entice him on here. Dan
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Empty Re: A few questions re: the J=K candy set.

Post by phlflyer1 Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:46 pm

Fisherboy7 wrote:Since we had a side conversation about J=K going in the Orange Border thread, I'm starting this thread so we can focus on the J=K's.

A few questions for Dan, or whomever else:

1. Do we have any idea why the set is called J=K? Seems like an odd name for a candy brand.

2. Who is J. Koenigsberg and what is his connection with the set?

3. Have any complete J=K boxes been found?

Not sure why J=K was chosen other than J. Koenigsberg was the name of the candy company which produced the cards (probably named after the owner).

Maybe the owners middle intial was E ? J. E. K. ?

Just a hutch on that one....

As Dan already stated, this information comes from the picture of the complete box where J. Koenigsberg can be seen printed on the side of the box.

If I remember correctly it talks about candy and jewlery being available in the box.

phlflyer1
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:36 am

Thanks guys. I may be pushing my luck here, but does either of you have a scan of the complete box Question

Would love to hear from Mr. Preece about J=K's if you can lure him on here, Dan.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:16 pm

This may be way off base but I thought I saw 2 J=K cards at the Chicago National in 2001 with the "J=K" somewhere on the cards. Like I said it has been 6 years and I may be off base but I know I haven't seen many but that seems to ring a bell. I thought they were kind of ugly but I have never been of fan of b/w cards.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:50 pm

Lee,

Sounds like you saw some type 1 J=K's at the show. Unless you came across an unknown variation, the cards don't have any markings on them other than the player name/position/team designations at the bottom. I have yet to see a scan of the complete box, but as Dan stated previously, there is a J=K branding somewhere on the box.

Here are scans of the Type 1 and Type 2 J=K's (from Old Cardboard):

A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Type1 A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Type2

Would be great to see some more scans of yours, Dan, if you have them on file righton

Last edited by on Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:11 pm

Of course, you have to torment me with Bedient Sad

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:36 pm

sabrjay wrote:Of course, you have to torment me with Bedient Sad

Sorry Jay, but with a set as rare as this one, there really isn't much of a selection pale
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Empty J=K

Post by Preece1 Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 am

I don't collect sets, but the J=K was going to be my exception (that is until I had to give up my J=K group to Dan as part of the Alpha Engraving deal). Pretty much what has been already posted on here about J=K is all that is known:

• The box had J=K on it so that is the name used;
  • The only known box is almost completely intact;
  • The current set list in the SCD is a joke. I think half of the 12 I traded to Dan were unlisted at the time of the trade;
  • All cards are hand cut (obviously);
  • Most of the known cards are either unique or with less than three known;
  • The taller of the two types is always creased through the head because that was the piece that made up the flap that closed the box. Therefore the only non-creased type 2 would be one from a "non-formed" box straight from the original printer;
  • The largest known collection is roughly 35, with Dan in second place (sorry Dan, I assume you are not shy about this info. You were the one that brought me out here Smile );
  • The "better" hall of famers (Speaker, Wagner, Cobb, Matty all only exist in type II, larger, form); and
  • some of the known players make up there only known card (as Jay has stated with Bedient).

If I think of anything else I will put it up. I haven't thought much about the set since Dan pried them from my bloody, trembling hands two years ago.

Preece1
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by phlflyer1 Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:49 am

Hey Patrick,

Good to see you posting here as well. Hope to hook up with you at the next Philly show or the next National.

The SCD set description shows what the J=K box looks like. I don't know if this is the only known box but it is at least one of them.

A few questions re: the J=K candy set. J_K_Set_Description

Here are my two types. Unfortunately, Carrigan is missing the tab.

Both were uncatalogued until I mentioned them to Bob Lemke on N54 a few years back but I think Dan has at least one if not both of these...

A few questions re: the J=K candy set. JK_Davis

A few questions re: the J=K candy set. JK_Carrigan

phlflyer1
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:33 pm

WOW Pat! Our friend has 35 of them! I am way behind in 2nd place. Bloody hands ah? That was funny. No I don't mind at all about you sharing the info, just please don't tell anyone that I own the Wagner.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by mzm55 Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:52 pm

I’m a huge fan of the J=K issue, though I do not own any. I love the mystique of the set and the fact that the checklist isn’t completely known. I believe the original box with Speaker (Type 2) and Collins (Type 1) was consigned by Jon Freund and sold through a Lew Lipset auction. Here is a little bit of a clearer image of the box:

A few questions re: the J=K candy set. J-kscdpic

I know a few here will remember the small lot (maybe 6? cards) of type 1s that sold on eBay maybe 5-6 years ago. I was one of the underbidders (not sure how far down the list) but strongly regret not going higher on them.

mzm55
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:55 pm

Good to see ya here Zach. Hope to see ya in chat too

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:56 pm

mzm55 wrote:I know a few here will remember the small lot (maybe 6? cards) of type 1s that sold on eBay maybe 5-6 years ago. I was one of the underbidders (not sure how far down the list) but strongly regret not going higher on them.

I remember that lot, Zach. I recall them being listed as T206's and I hoped that they might fall through the cracks because of this. I had planned on splitting the lot with Brian Weisner and we put in a pretty strong bid, but it wasn't enough. Pretty sure this was in late 2003/early 2004 because it was my last year living in Montreal and I remember trudging my way through the snow to the local coffee shop, frustrated, after having been outsniped right at the end on em. Embarassed
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by phlflyer1 Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:57 am

Fisherboy7 wrote:
mzm55 wrote:I know a few here will remember the small lot (maybe 6? cards) of type 1s that sold on eBay maybe 5-6 years ago. I was one of the underbidders (not sure how far down the list) but strongly regret not going higher on them.

I remember that lot, Zach. I recall them being listed as T206's and I hoped that they might fall through the cracks because of this. I had planned on splitting the lot with Brian Weisner and we put in a pretty strong bid, but it wasn't enough. Pretty sure this was in late 2003/early 2004 because it was my last year living in Montreal and I remember trudging my way through the snow to the local coffee shop, frustrated, after having been outsniped right at the end on em. Embarassed

Sorry guys, I ended up picking up that lot.

It was a lot of four J=K cards that were misclassified as T206 and none of them were catalogued at the time.

Three of the four eventually ended up in Dan McKees collection through a mutual friend and I made sure to get the fourth, a Topsy Hartsel, into the hands of a friend who is a relative of Topsys and strictly collects Hartsel type cards (sorry Dan). Sad

phlflyer1
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Abravefan11 Sat May 08, 2010 2:39 am

I picked up 3 J=K Candy cards today and when trying to find out some info I found this thread and thought I would bump it rather than start a new one.

I read above that most of the check list's for this set are not accurate and many cards that have been found are still not listed. I didn't see Willett on VCP or Old Cardboard's lists and was wondering if it has been confirmed to anyone's knowledge.

Anyone have any idea a range of prices?

Thanks.

A few questions re: the J=K candy set. J%3Dk
Abravefan11
Abravefan11
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sat May 08, 2010 8:33 pm

Great J=K's pickups there! A few questions re: the J=K candy set. Icon_eek

It's been a while since I've seen anyone find any J=K's. Range of prices? I'd say minimally $4-500 apiece in that condition. I'm assuming you picked them up privately - is there a story behind them? Thanks for sharing.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Abravefan11 Sat May 08, 2010 8:56 pm

fisherboy7 wrote:is there a story behind them?

I found them in a box at a card shop mixed in with some other prewar issues. The owner didn't know what they were so after going home and researching them I went back and made him an offer and he accepted.

Edited to say: Thanks for the pricing estimate.
Abravefan11
Abravefan11
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon May 10, 2010 4:37 pm

Sounds like you made a VERY smart decision to return and buy them. Was there anything else of value along with them in that box? Not often you hear stories like that anymore. Congrats again on the great pickups!
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Abravefan11 Tue May 11, 2010 2:22 am

fisherboy7 wrote:Was there anything else of value along with them in that box?

I also picked up a Vancouver Peanuts card along with the three J=K's. I have picked up a few other cards from the same place over the last year or so and helped another collector purchase two E97-2's.

Sadly I think I've been through all the boxes now but I'll keep checking in from time to time.
Abravefan11
Abravefan11
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by marty27 Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:31 pm

Hello Y'all,

Interested in this old thread. I'm looking for a George Gibson from the J=K set.
Even just to see it. Please post or shoot me a private message.

-Marty

marty27
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by marty27 Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:12 pm

Still looking to see a J=K George Gibson. If you don't want to share here, please email me; martyisarockstar@hotmail.com

Cheers Guys!

marty27
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:19 pm

If someone has one, or even a scan, they will share it.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down