Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please help me with your experience - A collector's website

+4
sabrjay
crazylocomerk
bowlingshoeguy
Bosox Blair
8 posters

Go down

Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Empty Please help me with your experience - A collector's website

Post by Bosox Blair Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:52 am

Hi folks,

I've been mulling over the idea of creating some sort of website to display nice scans of my pre-war collection, but I have never done it because my computer skills are pretty rudimentary (ie. I don't know how to create a website). This would be a non-commercial site...just for fun and learning.

I've noticed lately that a number of you guys do a nice job with things like photobucket, and other websites that I assume you don't need high-level computer skills to create some sort of display.

I'd love to hear what people recommend (and don't recommend) along with limitations of certain approaches (ie. if some sites are better for small collections, etc).

I would need to be able to display a few hundred scans, if that helps with the advice.

Any input is welcome!

Cheers,
Blair
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Empty Re: Please help me with your experience - A collector's website

Post by bowlingshoeguy Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:53 am

Wish I could help you Blair. I am in the same boat as you. Jay, is able to do it so there is hope for all of us. I am hoping some day to also set up a site.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Empty Photobucket

Post by Bosox Blair Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:45 am

After a few false starts on some other sites, I found Photobucket to be quite easy to use and I'm happy with it. Check out my work so far at the link below in my new signature...

Last edited by Bosox Blair on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Empty Re: Please help me with your experience - A collector's website

Post by Bosox Blair Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:48 am

Can't seem to get signature working...

Last edited by Bosox Blair on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:50 am

Ahhhhh - here it is!!!
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:19 pm

Very nice Blair! Is that the free version or did you have to pay?

Photobucket is what I use, but man....they must have upgraded the options since I last looked.

Very sweet!
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:35 pm

Well....I've answered my own question by thumbing around a bit. They have updated the themes since the last time I set one.

And as for Photobucket, I've been using it for about 2 years now. I love it. For a free site, you really can't beat it.

Good job again with your site Blair!
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:08 pm

For image hosting, photobucket can't be beat. I have a free account and have over 3k pix on it, so I'm not sure what limit, if any, exists. I use fatcow.com as the host for fullcountforum.com They offer easy to use editing tools and have great customer service.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:20 pm

crazylocomerk wrote:Well....I've answered my own question by thumbing around a bit. They have updated the themes since the last time I set one.

And as for Photobucket, I've been using it for about 2 years now. I love it. For a free site, you really can't beat it.

Good job again with your site Blair!

Thanks Eric!

Well I'm glad I took a shot at Photobucket - it was very easy to use, and as Jay says it gives you a lot of storage space for free. Also easy to upload...I had the beginnings of a site done in a jiffy!
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Wiggum Fan Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:33 pm

Photobucket. I like the slide show view. Here is my collection in slide show:

https://s345.photobucket.com/albums/p370/mcap100176/Baseball%20cards%20-%20all/?albumview=slideshow

Wiggum Fan
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:28 pm

Wiggum Fan wrote:Photobucket. I like the slide show view. Here is my collection in slide show:

https://s345.photobucket.com/albums/p370/mcap100176/Baseball%20cards%20-%20all/?albumview=slideshow

You've got quite a few big names in there - nice slideshow!
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Wiggum Fan Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:13 pm

Thanks. My favorite card is the Cracker Jack Alexander. I love the way it looks. I think I bought it from someone of this board.

I started collecting again about 2.5 years ago (I am 33 and grew up collecting the stupid mid-80's garbage!). I am going for only HOF'er cards, looking for earliest known "cards" of players. I say "cards" because I define it as something with (more or less) a single picture (or a pose/picture I like). Not too concerned about condition for the big-names (Ruth, Gehrig, etc) but look for mid-to-high grade for post-war; pre-war I look at price. That's why there is the Alomar, Maddux, etc...future HOF'ers also but concentrate on people already in.

For holidays and my birthday, when asked what I want, I just say a card. I have conditioned my family and girlfriend to ask what card I want. Last year, my girlfriend's christmas present to me was the 1975 Topps set (my favorite all time set).

I acquired the more expensive cards using Microsoft's Cashback (got a few at the full 20% reimbursement). That was luck.

Wiggum Fan
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:15 am

Wiggum Fan wrote:Thanks. My favorite card is the Cracker Jack Alexander. I love the way it looks. I think I bought it from someone of this board.

I recognize that Alexander!

Glad to know that it found a good home.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by yawie99 Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:29 am

Hard to argue with free, but I find the $25/year for imageevent.com to be worth it. I like its clean look and the ease with which a total novice like me can create a decent-looking site. I'd hardly consider it a commercial venture, but a few eBay-avoiding sales a year and it basically pays for itself.
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/yawie99

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:52 pm

I've been rolling with imageevent for a few years now, and it has always worked well for me. Clean presentation and very easy to use. It's been worth multiples of the $25/year cost. I like the looks of that new photobucket page too though. Both are great options.

Good luck with your site, Blair Please help me with your experience - A collector's website 182900
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Please help me with your experience - A collector's website Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down