Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What the heck is this card?

+4
sabrjay
scott elkins
bowlingshoeguy
fisherboy7
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What the heck is this card? Empty What the heck is this card?

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:01 pm

For a year after I got it, I assumed it was an orange border because it looked like one to me. But a couple of differences have been pointed out between it and the OB's. One being the curved inner frame, whereas the OB's have a squared frame. I've raised the question on the "other" forum, but nobody I've asked or shown it to knows what it is. I assume it was once part of an obscure candy box. It has the thickness of a regular card so it's not a cutout from an ad sheet or anything like that. It is approximately the size of a tobacco card...maybe a tad larger. Any thoughts?

What the heck is this card? Orangeborder_1
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
What the heck is this card? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100What the heck is this card? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

What the heck is this card? Empty Re: What the heck is this card?

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:15 pm

It's a piece of cardboard with a picture of a baseball player. righton righton righton

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
What the heck is this card? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100What the heck is this card? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:58 am

My first guess has already been shot down - an Orange Border. Sad All I know is it is some nice Unc. rare card that you have managed to find Ben! I only wish I would have kept the Unc. Cobb I traded you for (the one that looked similar to an E95).

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
What the heck is this card? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100What the heck is this card? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:08 am

You can probably assume that the card was issued in 1910. Harry Niles played with Boston in 1908 and 1909. He only played 17 games in '08 and the entire season of '09 before moving on to Cleveland in 1910.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
What the heck is this card? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100What the heck is this card? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:00 am

sabrjay wrote:You can probably assume that the card was issued in 1910. Harry Niles played with Boston in 1908 and 1909. He only played 17 games in '08 and the entire season of '09 before moving on to Cleveland in 1910.

Jay

Wouldn't it likely have been from 1909 then, since he's pictured in a Boston uniform on the card?

Thanks for the responses so far gents righton

That sure was a cool Cobb, Scott. Wouldn't believe the deal I got on it too. Here's another uncat for Scott (apologies for the poor scan):

What the heck is this card? UNCrucker

I've seen one other card from this mystery set: a Phila A's team card.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
What the heck is this card? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100What the heck is this card? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:44 am

It is always nice to see those unc. cards Ben! drool

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
What the heck is this card? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100What the heck is this card? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:35 pm

1910 is a safer bet. I doubt many sets were created and released during the season past spring training. He started 1910 with Boston, so 1910 is the best for a year.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
What the heck is this card? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100What the heck is this card? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:41 pm

Ok thanks for the clarification, Jay. I was a little confused because you had said in the previous post that Niles was on Boston in 08-09 and Cleveland in '10, but now I know you meant the other way around.

So we hereby declare the card a .... 1910 e-unc!
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:38 pm

I'd much rather have this card as one of the centerpieces of my collection, than a PSA whatever. machine
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
What the heck is this card? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100What the heck is this card? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:42 pm

The Niles is without a doubt a 1910 Orange Border. Cards were issued on candy boxes similar to the Baseball Bats cards. Dan.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
What the heck is this card? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100What the heck is this card? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:45 pm

The Rucker is a recently cataloged set as W-Unc I believe, page 522 of the 2006 Standard Catalog. I own the Walter Johnson and another, these are very neat strip cards. Dan.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
What the heck is this card? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100What the heck is this card? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:47 pm

I am currently collecting the Orange Border set and would be interested in trading for the Niles. I have other Orange Borders and lots of neat items to part with. I apologize if I am breaking rules as I am new to this forum. These screens have some getting use to as well. Maybe I am just old and past my time!
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:00 pm

Hey Dan, welcome to the forum! And thanks for the info re: the Niles and the W-Unc Rucker. I was told that the Niles was NOT an Orange Border, but if you say it definitely is, then that's enough for me. Is the Niles a cataloged subject in the Orange Border set?

As for the Rucker, my latest Standard Catalog is 2003, so I wasn't aware that it has since been cataloged. A Walter Johnson from that set sure sounds special. If you have a scan of it handy, would you mind emailing it to me fisherboy7@hotmail.com so I can share it with the board?

As for asking about a trade for the Niles, you are most definitely NOT breaking any rules. Trading is encouraged. I wasn't looking to trade the Niles but if it helps you on your OB quest I'd be willing to entertain the thought. Lets discuss via private email (same one as I listed above).

righton
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:38 pm

Dan, GREAT to see you posting! beer I am relieved now, as I thought the Niles was definitely an orange border card at first as well, then felt like an idiot when Ben said he was told it wasn't.

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by caramelcard Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:30 am

Ben,

Still have the UNC Carrigan little W555 lookin' thingy dingy?

Rob

caramelcard
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
What the heck is this card? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100What the heck is this card? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:50 am

caramelcard wrote:Ben,

Still have the UNC Carrigan little W555 lookin' thingy dingy?

Rob

Sure do Rob:

What the heck is this card? Carrigan
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:09 pm

Did we achieve a conclusion on the Niles?
Aside from the inner border, is the lettering wrong for an Orange Border card?
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:51 pm

Hey I have that exact Carrigan card! Too funny. Ok here goes a little more info on the Niles. I am going to stick to my guns and stay with it being an Orange Border. I scanned a few variances in some of mine:
Note the background if the Niles to the Speaker, though most Orange borders have a solid background, these 2 are similar. Look at the background on the Doyle, that is by far the most detailed background I have seen in this issue.
Next, look at Doyle's name, all in white letters when most Orange borders come in all black letters. Now look at McGraw's name, half black and white. All McGraws are like this as I have access to 2 others.
Most Orange borders have just a last name in all caps, but look at the Cobb, 1st and last name.
Finally, take a look at the right side corners of the McGraw, notice the rounding of the white frame.
Though the Niles corners are rounded more, I still believe this is an Orange border. As you can see, there are many other variances across the issue and the Niles has many similarities. Wife is screaming at me to get on the honey-do list, gotta run Dan.

What the heck is this card? Oranges001
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:04 pm

Dan, thanks for the scans. It would be great to look through your collection, as you definitely have some rare cards - especially knowing that you have several unc. issues as well. You and your father are definitely Hobby Assets!

PS Isn't the new version of the old "Ft. Washington" show coming up this Spring? If so, let us know if you will be there and exactly where this show is at. I might try to make up to see you and other fellow collectors (if I can get Heather's mom to "House Sit" for me, as I don't trust my neighbors and that is the main reason I haven't went to any card shows the past four years!).

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:06 pm

Thanks for the very kind words. Yes the Philly show is Feb 29th thru March 2nd. It is held at the Reading PA Expo center. www.phillyshow.org for details. I will be set up next to my very good friend Ron Vitro of E&R Galleries. Dan
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:31 pm

Dan:
Thank you for posting this tutorial on the board. I have never seen scans of more than two of this set together previously (and none in person).

Clearly it would take an "Oregon Find", a "Skydash Collection", or several smaller hoards to surface before identification of the possible styles or Orange Border types to more clearly emerge. Until such an unlikely event occurs, I see no evidence to refute your assessment.

Gil
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by phlflyer1 Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:54 pm

Dano,

Good to see you posting here and I agree with you that I think the Niles is likely an uncat Orange Border as the similarities far outweigh the differences.

Scott E, I had the priviledge of having Dan over to my house several months back and he was gracious enough to bring along a nice portion of his collection. Seeing all of those Orange Borders and J=K cards (a few of which used to be mine) was quite a thrill!

Maybe if you end up coming up this way for the Philly show we could organize a similar get together again if you and Dan are interested. You could at least get a chance to visit with a lot of your old Crofts Cocoas Smile

Scott M.

phlflyer1
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
What the heck is this card? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What the heck is this card? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:07 pm

Dan-

Thanks for the great post. I'm now convinced that the Niles is in fact an uncat Orange Border, although the curved inner frame does raise some interesting questions.

To answer your email question, the inner frame on the Niles measures 1 7/16" by 2 6/16".

BTW, that's an AMAZING J=K Wagner in your avatar! Shocked
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:57 pm

You guys have a J=K Bedient you are willing to part with?

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:01 pm

I couldn't have done the avatar w/o you Ben! That J=K Wagner is as close to the T206 one that I will ever get. I have no extra J=K, I am working on the set as I acquired all of Pat Preece's in the Alpha deal. Sorry Jay, hey I think I can use that R337 you offered me, can you email me again? thanks
dan
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next