Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E104-3 Nadja Speculation

+2
scott elkins
fisherboy7
6 posters

Go down

E104-3 Nadja Speculation Empty E104-3 Nadja Speculation

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:02 pm

This set was mentioned briefly in the "one of a kind" thread, but it would be nice to have a thread dedicated solely to E104-3's. There's still a lot of mystery surrounding this set, with new discoveries being made until very recently.

Unlike E104-1 (Philadelphia) and E104-2 (Pittsburgh), E104-3 features players from several teams (New York, Detroit, Philadelphia, St. Louis). Considering that the checklist is still incomplete, some speculate that there's still a Cobb/Matty/Mcgraw/etc E104-3 discovery out there to be made. Since Jennings and Crawford are both prominent Detroiters featured in the set, it stands to reason that Cobb would be included as well.

Do you think these cards actually exist? I welcome your thoughts on this as well as any other remarks that you might have on this intriguing set.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
E104-3 Nadja Speculation Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100E104-3 Nadja Speculation Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

E104-3 Nadja Speculation Empty Re: E104-3 Nadja Speculation

Post by scott elkins Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:44 pm

I would say definitely. They are probably hidden away in some REAL collection, like the one Norris Mauristraum has bragged he owns! Razz

On another note, I would say somewhere out there, maybe in England, there is a T215 Pirates Cobb as well! righton

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
E104-3 Nadja Speculation Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100E104-3 Nadja Speculation Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by arandy Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:48 pm

I belive so too. If you think about it, why wouldn't the company put in star players? My theroy is that since kids could get these cards and not tobacco cards, many were destroyed. insane insane insane But seriously, from the companies veiw, more star players= more purchases of caramel. Just a theroy. If you did not get this post, I agree with Scott Edkins.
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
E104-3 Nadja Speculation Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100E104-3 Nadja Speculation Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:59 pm

I was lucky enough to acquire 6 of these cards, all with Nadja backs, from a long time collector who bought them back in 1980. Of the 6 cards, 2 were new to the hobby and 2 others were the first known with Nadja backs.

I bought them sight unseen as e92s. I just about had a heart attack when I opened the packed and saw the first card. I knew right away what it was. The seller thought they were e92s because he couldn't get the players to match up to the e104-3 set. I ended up sending him some more money for the cards.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
E104-3 Nadja Speculation Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100E104-3 Nadja Speculation Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

E104-3 Nadja Speculation Empty I dunno....

Post by Marc Schoenen Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:02 pm

I have about six E104-IIIs myself. I just can't see there being a superstar player that is not checklisted in this day and age. I do not think it is impossible -- but I think it is rather unlikely. I think there are a few more commons from the set that will be catalogued over the next few years....but perhaps the reason the set has always been so overlooked and ignored is specifically because there have never been known examples of Cobb/Matty/McGraw to surface (even if not proclaimed).

Just my thoughts.

Marc Schoenen
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
E104-3 Nadja Speculation Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100E104-3 Nadja Speculation Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:07 pm

There are more uncatalogued cards sitting in collections than you think. Look at how long Larry Fritsch sat on the knowledge of the Doyle variation before he let word of out to the public. Many old-timers jeaously gaurd info a rarities and uncatalogued cards. We won't hear about many of them until they decide to sell off, or die. Then that only works if the collection goes to auction and isn't sold privately. It wouldn't surprise me if some gems are sold of privately so that the secret can be kept and the rest of collection goes to the auction house, still looking very impressive.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
E104-3 Nadja Speculation Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100E104-3 Nadja Speculation Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

E104-3 Nadja Speculation Empty Any idea

Post by Marc Schoenen Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:16 pm

How many Red Dooins are sitting in private collections? Oops, wait, he is uncatalogued. I count at least four.

Marc Schoenen
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
E104-3 Nadja Speculation Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100E104-3 Nadja Speculation Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:07 am

This is one of the few views Jay and I have agreed on for a long time - there ARE several cards The Hobby doesn't know about setting around in private collections. I would LOVE to see what cards Fritsch has stored away personally (more than any other collection).

These collectors have their own reasons for not sharing cards they own that are uncatalogued. From the people I know with extreme rarities that The Hobby doesn't know they own, their biggest reason for not letting the cat out of the bag on their card or cards is they don't want to be harassed from potential buyers.

Just like the Herpolsheimer set (a completely new set to Our Hobby) came to light via eBay a few years back, there are not only cards from known sets, but unknown sets as well out there still. righton

BTW - some companies might have short-printed the stars' cards as well - to keep people buying more of their product (whether it be candy or cigs). This might explain the lack of Cobbs, Mattys and other stars for some particular sets as well.

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
E104-3 Nadja Speculation Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100E104-3 Nadja Speculation Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by caramelcard Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:53 pm

Chase was found recently. I think Cobb and Matty are possible.

caramelcard
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
E104-3 Nadja Speculation Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100E104-3 Nadja Speculation Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down