Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portrait or Action is the question

+9
cmoking
jmk59
Square_Frame_Ramly
3-2-count
fisherboy7
CobbSpikedMe
scott elkins
yawie99
TheBig6
13 posters

Go down

Portrait or Action is the question Empty Portrait or Action is the question

Post by TheBig6 Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:53 am

Do you have a collecting preference between Portraits and action cards.
I like them both depending on the card.
Portrait or Action is the question Cobb_1Portrait or Action is the question Sgcjohnson

Last edited by TheBig6 on Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Portrait or Action is the question Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Portrait or Action is the question Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Portrait or Action is the question Empty Re: Portrait or Action is the question

Post by yawie99 Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:02 am

Talking just T206's, I definitely prefer the portraits. The Matty and Johnson portraits just blow away the pitching poses. Same with Young. I'm trying to think of some exceptions. Maybe Waddell and the Bat Off Cobb. Lajoie's non-portraits are both really good, but I still prefer the portrait.
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Portrait or Action is the question Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Portrait or Action is the question Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/yawie99

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:13 am

In T206's I lean toward the Portraits my self , The Johnson being the best of all. But the set is chock full of great action cards too.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Portrait or Action is the question Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Portrait or Action is the question Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:43 am

While most people prefer portraits, I have always loved the action shots (both in T206 and all the other Vintage sets as well). Sunset backgrounds are a BIG PLUS with me as well! righton

Portrait or Action is the question Uzit_c10

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Portrait or Action is the question Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Portrait or Action is the question Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:02 am

Maybe some of the other guys will show a favorite Portrait and Action card from their collection.

Scott, You forgot PINK
Portrait or Action is the question Ritter
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:10 am

You are correct Jerry - I can't forget those great Vintage Cards with pink backgrounds! I don't have any of my pink T206's scanned, so these will have to do for now.

Portrait or Action is the question Hetlin11

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Portrait or Action is the question Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Portrait or Action is the question Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:15 am

WOW, Looks like the Obak Slot machine came up Hetling's.
JACKPOT!
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by CobbSpikedMe Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:51 am

My favorite images are those that are a full body action shot. There are none (i'm pretty sure) that fit this description in the T206 set.

There are several sets that have many many full body action shots however, and for some reason, I do not have very many of them. question Some that come to mind: T207, W572 (and related sets), W520 (I do have some of these!), T210, N172...

Portrait or Action is the question W520coveleskiPortrait or Action is the question W520gonzalesPortrait or Action is the question W520kelly

AndyH
CobbSpikedMe
CobbSpikedMe
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Portrait or Action is the question Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Portrait or Action is the question Right_bar_bleue

http://forloveofthecards.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:47 am

I'm like Jerry - like both, really depends on the card. My favorite action card is the one in my profile (sick of it yet?) and here's my favorite portrait card in my collection...D359 Plank, which I've shown plenty of times before:

Portrait or Action is the question D359pl11

Has a bit of a wonky cut to it, but I love it anyway.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Portrait or Action is the question Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Portrait or Action is the question Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:25 pm

Nothing beats a classic portrait image IMO...

Portrait or Action is the question Sgc50e90-1keelerpinkport-2 Portrait or Action is the question Sgc50e90-1keelerredport-1
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Portrait or Action is the question Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Portrait or Action is the question Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Portrait or Action is the question Empty portrait....

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:29 pm

all the way....

Portrait or Action is the question Test111
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Portrait or Action is the question Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Portrait or Action is the question Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jmk59 Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:49 pm

Some of the most beautiful and classic cards in the hobby are action cards:

Portrait or Action is the question E93phi10 Portrait or Action is the question E901oa10 Portrait or Action is the question T206ma10

And this one, while not a classic, is still really gorgeous. The scan simply does no justice to the bright colors in the sunset background:

Portrait or Action is the question T212li10

But for me, it's still the portraits that are the most compelling, and often beautiful as well:

Portrait or Action is the question T205ba10 Portrait or Action is the question T206ma11 Portrait or Action is the question N28ben10

When I first started collecting, I really focused on action shots because they seemed to show more about the game, equipment, uniforms, etc. But once I became more familiar with players I started leaning more toward portraits.

J

(Acknowledgement: Oakes scan lifted from Old Cardboard web site, as I could not find a scan of the one I used to own.)
jmk59
jmk59
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Portrait or Action is the question Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Portrait or Action is the question Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cmoking Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:00 pm

I like having both action shots and portraits. I used to think action shots were better, but the problem is that it is tough to see the player's face and what they actually looked like. Having both the action shot and the portrait makes for a better complete picture of the player.

Portrait or Action is the question 1947SportsExchangeBabeRuthSGC88Portrait or Action is the question 1929StarPlayerCandy21BabeRuthSGC40

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Portrait or Action is the question Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Portrait or Action is the question Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:26 pm

When talking T206's I'll definitely say Portrait. Those cards are great.

My favorite set is the E107, which are all portraits.

With other sets, it all depends on what the set is. For instance, in the T216's, my favorite card is the Harry Davis slide shot.
Portrait or Action is the question 1911-111
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Portrait or Action is the question Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Portrait or Action is the question Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:45 pm

Counter shots to Tony's beautiful Keeler Portraits & Ben's Majestic Plank
Portrait or Action is the question Keeler_2Portrait or Action is the question Plank1
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:17 pm

I prefer action shots myself, but a well done portrait is tough to top.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Portrait or Action is the question Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Portrait or Action is the question Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:34 pm

i've always had a preference for action poses, because it's a snapshot of a ballgame being played a long time ago. don't really care what a dude looks like, seeing how rough and tumble some of these guys really are probably will take away some of the lore for me.

i especially like quirky off-angle action shots:

Portrait or Action is the question M131sp10 Portrait or Action is the question E94wag10
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Portrait or Action is the question Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Portrait or Action is the question Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacklitsch Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:42 pm

All of my 1911 Zeenuts are actions. beer All of my C46 are portraits. I like them equally as much.

Portrait or Action is the question HeitmuellerPortrait or Action is the question Kelley
Jacklitsch
Jacklitsch
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Portrait or Action is the question Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Portrait or Action is the question Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down