Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Honest opinion please

5 posters

Go down

Honest opinion please Empty Honest opinion please

Post by t206head Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:24 am

I need to buy a house, I've been entertaining the idea of selling off my t206 set. Now I hand built this set card by card , had them all slabed sgc pre half grade. I was completely put off when They pulled that bs but what can you do.. My set is 9 on the registry ( tastefully named, fu and your half grade!!it all about the money)with out a single half grade. Now do I spend 5000+$ to regrade or not. I'm certain hundreds of cards will jump up but is it worth it? Plus the thought of giving that company any more money is giving me a headache. Any thoughts would be great thanks bob
t206head
t206head
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Honest opinion please Left_bar_bleue6 / 1006 / 100Honest opinion please Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Honest opinion please Empty Re: Honest opinion please

Post by ullmandds Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:34 am

Do u intend to sell it whole? If so I wouldn't bother. If separately...maybe?
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Honest opinion please Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Honest opinion please Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:11 pm

"It's all about the money"

Well heck yea it is for them. That is what 3rd party grading is driven by, money.

If you are going to sell it as a set, I say don't bother as well.

If individually, I would look at each card and only pull the ones I think may bump up, that won't be all of them.

Congrats on completing a great set!

You are making a good decision getting the house.

Dan
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Honest opinion please Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Honest opinion please Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Theo_450 Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:50 pm

r337man wrote:"It's all about the money"

Well heck yea it is for them.  That is what 3rd party grading is driven by, money.

If you are going to sell it as a set, I say don't bother as well.

If individually, I would look at each card and only pull the ones I think may bump up, that won't be all of them.

Congrats on completing a great set!

You are making a good decision getting the house.

Dan

I agree with this approach, but I would refine a step further, and only re-grade HOFers and stars, rarities that had the potential to get a bump. Congrats on such a good set, a house will keep you dry though!
Theo_450
Theo_450
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Honest opinion please Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Honest opinion please Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:06 pm

Yes Theo! That is a good way to drill down a step farther. the only thing is that some of the tougher commons in a high number can bring some real coin thanks to the absolute marketing genius of the Set Registry.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Theo_450 Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:08 pm

r337man wrote:Yes Theo! That is a good way to drill down a step farther.  the only thing is that some of the tougher commons in a high number can bring some real coin thanks to the absolute marketing genius of the Set Registry.

I agree, a 2 to a 2.5 is probably not a big deal, but anything that is 3 or over looking for a half grade bump would make a difference if selling the cards individually, or as smaller lots. There is always the chance of cards getting down graded though. If selling them all as one lot, I don't think I would bother with the re-grading.

Theo_450
Theo_450
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Honest opinion please Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Honest opinion please Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by t206head Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:46 am

Thanks for all the great advice. I'll never deal with any 3 party grading service again the set will stay as is.... I walked in to the white plains show yesterday with 60 raw t3s. psa hardly gave me the time of day and wanted 75$ each to grade with a 10$ rebate if I had 100... So their out of their freaking minds and no one was even at the sgc table the 3 times I walked by .. What a joke thanks again bob
t206head
t206head
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Honest opinion please Left_bar_bleue6 / 1006 / 100Honest opinion please Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:06 pm

Good decision!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:53 pm

Yes... 3rd party grading is a joke! I will 2nd the "Good Decision"

They are about money only, not about the hobby!

Very similar to certain people that run chat boards. Not you Jay
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:47 am

Thanks Dan! We will always honor our word that there will NEVER be ads on this board.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Honest opinion please Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Honest opinion please Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down