Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for slabbing opinion

4 posters

Go down

What would you do with the cards?

Looking for slabbing opinion Vote_lcap0%Looking for slabbing opinion Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Looking for slabbing opinion Vote_lcap18%Looking for slabbing opinion Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]
Looking for slabbing opinion Vote_lcap18%Looking for slabbing opinion Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]
Looking for slabbing opinion Vote_lcap0%Looking for slabbing opinion Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Looking for slabbing opinion Vote_lcap9%Looking for slabbing opinion Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 1 ]
Looking for slabbing opinion Vote_lcap27%Looking for slabbing opinion Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 3 ]
Looking for slabbing opinion Vote_lcap9%Looking for slabbing opinion Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 11

Looking for slabbing opinion Empty Looking for slabbing opinion

Post by terjung Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:28 pm

Warning: Non vintage card question to follow...

I will ask this question about my Calvin Coolidge cut signature card so that it may be passable for discussion on a vintage card forum (asking for a little leeway on this one).

OK, the cards themselves are far from vintage, but they caught my eye. in 2007, during Sportkings return to the hobby, they produced a Presidential Sportkings subset with signature cuts of past presidents and pictures of the presidents engaged in some sort of sport (football, golf, bowling, tennis, etc.) This insert set (I know, I know... cringe) was composed of a total of 14 one-of-one cards. Thus, only one of each of the presidential cards was produced. I have managed to acquire 9 of the 14 and would like opinions on slabbing the cards. The cards came from the factory in a soft and hard slip case with a seal covering the opening. Eight of the nine are in this condition currently. The ninth was put into a screw down (which I have made sure is "roomy" enough not to cause damage to the card until I figure out what I am going to do with it).

I know that some of it is subjective (as in, whose slabs do you like the appearance of the best), but I figured I would throw this out there. Would you slab them at all? If so, do you have them graded or just slabbed as Authentic for encapsulation since the numerical value doesn't mean much on a 1/1 card.

Your comments (in addition to your vote) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Brian

Looking for slabbing opinion Reagan10
Looking for slabbing opinion Calvin10
Looking for slabbing opinion Eisenh10
Looking for slabbing opinion Truman10
Looking for slabbing opinion Nixon10
Looking for slabbing opinion George10
Looking for slabbing opinion Clinto10
Looking for slabbing opinion Carter10
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Looking for slabbing opinion Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Looking for slabbing opinion Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Looking for slabbing opinion Empty Re: Looking for slabbing opinion

Post by Bicem Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:09 pm

Keep them as is or sell them (maybe as a group in an auction house) if you no longer want them, I don't think slabbing adds much value at all to these.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Looking for slabbing opinion Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Looking for slabbing opinion Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:54 pm

I'm not looking for something to add value... more just a question for presentation and preservation of the cards and what others would do. I consider these a part of my permanent collection.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Looking for slabbing opinion Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Looking for slabbing opinion Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by psacollector Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:57 pm

Send them to PSA or Beckett and have them graded. Encapsulation and authentication by PSA or Beckett give most potential buyers additional reassurance of authenticity and this will translate to better resale value.
psacollector
psacollector
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Looking for slabbing opinion Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Looking for slabbing opinion Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by psacollector Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:58 pm

terjung wrote:I'm not looking for something to add value... more just a question for presentation and preservation of the cards and what others would do. I consider these a part of my permanent collection.

I was typing my last message and didn't see this.

For sure send it to Beckett. Their holders are the best for purposes of protection and preservation.
psacollector
psacollector
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Looking for slabbing opinion Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Looking for slabbing opinion Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:23 am

In that case, I think they would be safe and sound in the top loaders.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Looking for slabbing opinion Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Looking for slabbing opinion Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:27 am

Without trying to be argumentative, it is my understanding that slabs composed of polycarbonate provide the best impact resistence and protection against fading attributable to light. To my knowledge, the only slabber who uses this material is PRO.
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down