Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The "Thread-Hijacking Thread"

+8
cccc
terjung
bowlingshoeguy
ullmandds
Square_Frame_Ramly
pariah1107
sabrjay
jbonie
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Empty The "Thread-Hijacking Thread"

Post by jbonie Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:39 am

Okay, this thread is in honor of all the other threads that have been hijacked here on fcf plus all other message boards. So the rule of this thread is that your post must do two things:
a) respond to the previous post
and
b) then go on a tangent that is based on a thought on the previous topic but in actuality "hijacks" the thread and takes it in a totally new direction.

Hope you all will participate, and very curious to see where this all ends up!
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Empty Re: The "Thread-Hijacking Thread"

Post by sabrjay Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:45 am

I've never hijacked a thread in my life Rolling Eyes Speaking of hijackings, our war in Libya is just payback for the Lockerbie hijacking.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:28 am

Ran across this article (June 1922, Ellensburg Capital) researching the short-lived local semi-pro team of the time, Ellensburg Hawks. It seems to be the first time they have seen a pitching mound at a game in nearby Wapato..."The infield had been considerably improved, a great deal of work having been done to level and smooth it. However by some chance, a mound of dirt towering two or three feet above the level of the remainder was left just where the pitcher's box should be."

...and some really poor playing conditions, "The outfield contains one of the most luxuriant fields of alfalfa in the whole country... Both Olds and Pfenning who took turns weathering the hail of baseballs in left field, first lost in the sun and after it had dropped some ten or fifteen feet in front or behind them, searched for minutes for it in the hay field, some times being required to swim out in the ditch on the outskirts to retrieve." The Hawks lost this game to the Wapato Cubs 30-3.

I will not even repeat what was written about the game following the Rodeo...
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:03 am

Speaking of loosing a ball, was there a incident where a guy bunted and it was lost in the mud at home plate. The player actually ran around the bases and made a bunt into a homerun...

In modern times i think i remember seeing a redsox player bunt, the team let it go thinking it would go foul but stayed in and the runner actually made it to second base. Razz
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Bunting is certainly a lost art these days...people are only interested in the long ball. While I was a pretty good all around hitter in my day...I was always a decent bunter as well...we were just taught to do it if need be...don't think I ever bunted in a game situation though!

Speaking of bunting...I think the Yankees had the bunting out for opening day last thurs...hopefully it'll be out come October!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:12 pm

I remember the Octobers of 87 & 91 the Twins won the World Series, cheers seems so long ago.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:16 pm

Now Al Bundy...er I mean Lee...did you not read the point of this thread? C'mon...get with the program!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:29 pm

Lee got hit in the head a few too many time when tried to bunt the ball. And yes, there was a case back in the 1880s where a bunted ball got lost in the mud and turned into a HR.

Speaking of Al Bundy, when I did multi-day shows back in the 80s on Sunday's I'd usually wear a nametag that read: Al Bundy's Shoebox Nightmares. If it isn't creased it doesn't make cents.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:49 pm

Hey Pete, Nice bunt (lame attack), you mentioned October, I hijacked with the Twins winning. Now I don't think they have bunted since Rod Carew. But that was in the seventy when Sanford and Son was a big hit. Now we have to deal with Seinfeld and the chicks dig the long ball.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:53 pm

speaking of lame attacks...remember when Pedro MArtinez slammed Don Zimmer to the ground...or when Robin Ventura charged King Nolan at the mound and got pummeled?!?!

There's just so much violence in sports...and pretty much everywhere these days. Where is the love...show me the love?!

Whatever happened to Rodney King anyway?
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:08 pm

Can't we all get along? I hope this thread doesn't devolve into pointless bickering over bus transfers in FREE RIDE ZONES.

I'd rather walk, but bunting has its place in the game. I'd rather get hit by a pitch.... I was once got hit by a bus, or it felt like it....
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:21 pm

Sadly...these days most days when I roll out of bed I feel like I got hit by a bus the night before...and I'm only 41!!!!!!! Speaking of 41...1941 in particular...I don't think I ever saw that movie...wasn't John Belushi in it?
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:30 pm

Yes, Belushi was in that film.

Peter, you have to start drinking the good stuff at night...try Johnny Walker Blue.
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:34 pm

Johnny Walker Blue is a bit spendy for my budget. If I'm gonna spend a couple hundred dollars for a bottle it'd better have a genie in it. Speaking of which, "I Dream of Jeannie", while corny ... certainly had some eye candy for this young man.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:37 pm

OMG...I dream of Jeannie...probably a little racy even by today's standards!!!! I don't know how her hubby...what's his name resisted all of her hot alter ego's!!!!! I'd have been toast!

Speaking of toast...wheat, white, sourdough? Jam...butter? Personally I prefer something wheaty...or multigrain...w/butter...maybe a bit of cinnamon!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:43 pm

Untoasted sourdough for me. I guess untoasted really doesn't make it toast then... just more like bread.

Speaking of Bread, whatever happened to that band? Wasn't their big song called "If"?
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:45 pm

LOL...i am making a sandwich for my daughter right now with wheat bread...Don't remember that song "if"???

Seems like a few of us have nothing to do all day but hijack threads. I am enjoying this beautiful day at home with my kid.
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:47 pm

I know Bread is a band name. That's it. My favorite band is the Clash. Saw them at the Meadowlands in 1982 opening for The Who. I swear half the crowd left after the Clash played.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:47 pm

God...Lee must hate this thread...very Seinfeldian...a thread about nothing!!!! Personally I love it and think it was/is an awesome idea!!!!

If...what is if...definitely not a noun...pronoun...nope! Adjective...don't think so? What the hell is it...not a verb! Anyone...is Barry Sloate on this Board?

ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:03 pm

noun, pronoun, adjective...ack takes me back to my ESL class in 4th grade. i was the only asian guy in a class. 20 some years later and nothing's changed...the only asian dude and i'm still mispelling and messing up on my grammar and writing run-on sentences. i'm glad barry's not over here?
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:04 pm

Speaking of kids, what happened to the new kids on the Block, they certainly are not new anymore. Speaking of Blocks, reminds me of my brothers head. beat a dead horse Sorry, where he is beating reminds me more of my brothers head than the rest of the smileys.

"Those were the days my friend I hope they never end", random rant from a song. Maybe it's from Bread?

I'm Butter, because I'm on a roll. guitar

And a little Muff:

The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Muff10

That's all for now.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:31 pm

ullmandds wrote:If...what is if...definitely not a noun...pronoun...nope! Adjective...don't think so? What the hell is it...not a verb! Anyone...is Barry Sloate on this Board?

"If" is a conjunction.

Today was the science fair at my school. A glorious day for the music/history teacher (me) who spent half the day napping and surfing the net in my office. nahnahnah
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100The "Thread-Hijacking Thread" Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:06 pm

cccc wrote:noun, pronoun, adjective...ack takes me back to my ESL class in 4th grade. i was the only asian guy in a class. 20 some years later and nothing's changed...the only asian dude and i'm still mispelling and messing up on my grammar and writing run-on sentences. i'm glad barry's not over here?

Nicely done. In fact, it is "[sic]".

Speaking of sick, has anybody else been battling the flu?
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:27 pm

Nope, no flu here in CT...

Oh, did anyone see my UCONN huskies win that national championship??????
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:34 pm

anyone remember "conjunction junction...what's your function?" speaking of championships...how about those yankees this year!!!!!!!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next