Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs!

+9
bowlingshoeguy
r337man
Abravefan11
jbonie
sabrjay
hrbaker
wonkaticket
cccc
ullmandds
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Empty Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs!

Post by ullmandds Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:32 pm

I realize there are a fair amount of cards out there...that may exist on checklists...in price guides...but known examples have not been confirmed.

I was perusing the web yesterday and I came across Dave Levin's (Dave's Vintage Baseball cards) site and I called him to inquire about a card...and we got to talking...and he mentioned that he had acquired a Tango Eggs Cobb in the recent past...and he had a scan of the card on his site...still does...despite card having been sold.

This card was not confirmed to exist although Brian Daniels claims to own 2 of them I believe. Also the issue of whether these tango eggs were ever distributed was questionable as well as most found are in excellent condition.

This Cobb on David's site was clearly used and abused...even has a rubber stamp on the back.

I thought this was awesome to see...not that I ever doubted that BCD has one...or two...just nice to see the card DOES in fact exist...and was issued during the WWI period!

Any other examples of such incidences?
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Empty Re: Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs!

Post by cccc Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:16 pm

saw the tango a couple weeks ago, great card. i doubt bcd has any
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Empty Re: Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs!

Post by wonkaticket Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:55 pm

The recent Tango Egg Cobb is I think a one and only. I've heard of many folks claiming to have them but nobody has ever produced an image. Even when REA was offering 100k reward for missing images of cards not one person popped up the missing few and nobody showed a Cobb Tango.

Cobb Tango ranks among the toughest if not the toughest Cobb cards to acquire.

The recent find of ths card is a huge hobby find and finally puts doubts to rest. The card is now in an SGC holder from what I understand and may hit the auction block soon.

Cheers,

John
wonkaticket
wonkaticket
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/piojohn3/collection

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:26 pm

agreed with wonka this is a significant discovery...a major addition to the cobb master checklist.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Empty Good Stuff!

Post by ullmandds Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:41 pm

Interesting...and while I agree this is a very significant find...and I mean no disrespect...but I find the term "1 of a kind" as overused in this hobby as "rare"..."proof"...and my favorite..."ol friend!" Very Happy

By the way...did the card receive a numerical grade...or A?
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by hrbaker Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:46 pm

Pete,

Add "scarce" and "undergraded" as well.

hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by wonkaticket Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:51 pm

Rare or scarce or one of one is not a term I toss around.

I will say this we have talked about a Tango Egg Cobb's since 1993 on these boards. With offers of cash rewards for images, eveyone's Tango Eggs wantlists needing this card, near sets going off in REA missing this card, calling collectors out who claim to have them....yet via all of this not one Tango Egg Cobb is ever shown until now.

To me that's pretty darn scarce, rare or whatever you want to call it.

John
wonkaticket
wonkaticket
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:12 pm

John...I can live with that!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:15 pm

And I would presume the cobb Tango(TE) was found with a hoard of other Louisiana issues...Coupons specifically?! Were any other TE cards in the hoard? Or T214's?
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by hrbaker Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:41 pm

seller said it was in a group of t213-II, some Cracker Jacks and a General Baking
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by wonkaticket Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:52 pm

You made me laug Peter with you post I agree people toss terms like rare around all the time.

Makes me wonder where you guys draw the line in the sand?

For me its like this...

Rare= 1-5 known examples
Very Scarce= 10-25 examples known
Scarce= 25-50+ examples known
Very Tough= 50-100+ examples known
Tough= 100-300+ examples known

What do you guys think?

Cheers,

John
wonkaticket
wonkaticket
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:16 am

Not a bad rule of thumb.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:26 am

"one of a kind" and "handful" are pretty self-explanatory. i'd say rare is 5-10 examples, scarce would be up to 30. anything more than that it's not worth categorizing.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:46 am

Completely agree with Quan and had the same exact numbers in mind.

Very rare 1-4
Rare 5-9
Scarce 10-30
Very tough 31-50
Tough 51-100
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Good synopsis John...but I kinda agree w/quan's mentality...any more than 30-50 don't deserve a rating...just my 2c.

ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by wonkaticket Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:01 am

ullmandds wrote:Good synopsis John...but I kinda agree w/quan's mentality...any more than 30-50 don't deserve a rating...just my 2c.

I'll be sure to check your guys auctions if any of you guys use any of these words such as tough, hard to find, etc. to auction any of these cards....these are just normal cards with no need to call out how hard they are to get. Wink

T206 Plank
T206 Wagner
T206 Magie
T206 Drum
T206 Uzit
T206 Broadleaf 460
T206 Lenox (Black)
T206 Demmit & O'Hara
T207 Lowdermilk
T207 Miller
T207 Donlin
T207 Lewis

Just to name a few off the top of my head that break the 50+ mark....
wonkaticket
wonkaticket
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:24 am

Well if you put it that way, Wonka, please pardon my momentary lapse of reason!!!! You only mention the aforementioned because you have almost all of them! bananarama

Look out guys...this looks like a presale advertisement if I've ever seen one!

ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by wonkaticket Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:33 am

LOL I wish I had them all theres at least 2 on there I'm missing. Sad

All kidding aside I think in my whole collection not including non-sports I only have a few cards that I would call rare that fall into the less than 5 known area or one of a kinds. Sadly the cheaper cards in my collection due to good old supply and demand.

Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Scan0008
Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Unc%20matty Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Mtttry

Cheers,

John
wonkaticket
wonkaticket
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Abravefan11 Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:49 pm

Although not as nice as your two examples Wonka, this is the only other Mathewson I have seen besides yours.

Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Mathewson%20E-Unc

The Tango Eggs Cobb is a great find. Cards are still being discovered and added to checklists from time to time, but this one has been said to exist and speculated about for years. To have an example come to market after all the back and forth is one of things I love about the hobby. The stamp on the back makes it even more special IMO.
Abravefan11
Abravefan11
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:34 am

Thanks for posting that blue Matty John, you jerk.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:21 am

Damn, I hadn't heard someone called a jerk in a long time. Thanks for the laugh , Dan. rolling on the floor

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:37 am

Looks like Goodwin landed the Tango Eggs Cobb.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Cards of questionable existence...Case Study Tango Eggs! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:12 pm

any guesses as to the final price on the tango cobb in the goodwin auction...it is pretty badly beaten! I can't fathom more than 10-15K...absolute max...no matter how much money I had...I wouldn't buy it!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:57 pm

ullmandds wrote:any guesses as to the final price on the tango cobb in the goodwin auction...it is pretty badly beaten! I can't fathom more than 10-15K...absolute max...no matter how much money I had...I wouldn't buy it!!!

my guess is 20-21k with the bp. it's at around 14 right now.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:06 pm

eek gads...I guess I'm wrong!?!?!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next