Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

T206...Do you collect them and if so how?

+9
JohnnyHarmonica
bowlingshoeguy
hrbaker
3-2-count
Bosox Blair
BigGuy219
cccc
frohme
Abravefan11
13 posters

Go down

T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Empty T206...Do you collect them and if so how?

Post by Abravefan11 Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:05 am

T206 is a set that I am passionate about as I am drawn to the many complexities that make up the issue. In recent years it has been my observance that more collectors are putting together subsets rather than trying to complete the full set. Some collect just Hall Of Fame players, specific backs, Southern Leaguers, a team, etc.

So I am curious to hear from those that do collect T206 what their current focus and ultimate goal may be?

Abravefan11
Abravefan11
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Empty Similar in spirit

Post by frohme Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:33 am

My collecting runs parallel to yours, Tim... team-based.

Been collecting Pirates for a couple of years now and am at the point where most of the F/B combos I'm looking for aren't that easy, or don't show up all that often. Clarke, well, I just can't see paying what he often goes for, so..

They're organized by back and by player, some are not up-to-date, but so be it. Think I'm at about 163/208 (or so), would be happy to get to 90% complete, but there's no rush.

Looking forward to hearing other's goals as well!
--
Mike

Last edited by frohme on Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar, typo.)

frohme
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Empty Re: T206...Do you collect them and if so how?

Post by cccc Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:35 am

the monster is such a classic set, even if there's millions of them the demand will always be there...their value have held up quite well even in this down time.

i'm a hof kinda guy, and i love the action shots...besides a couple of them portraits are boring to me.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Empty Re: T206...Do you collect them and if so how?

Post by BigGuy219 Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:08 am

I've collected a few low-grade HOF T206s ... Cobb, Mathewson, Speaker, etc. just to say that I have them.

The set is so well known and collected by so many that I try to go with other sets to try and be different from the pack. But, the usual result is that I just buy something I'm inexperienced with for more than I should have paid. mallet
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:38 am

As part of my Red Sox collecting, I put together the Boston AL team. Didn't care about backs...so almost all are Piedmont.

Then I would occasionally buy a T206 of a player that interested me. Pretty much all HOF players. This is where I went a little further afield on the backs - a few Sovereigns, Old Mill, Polar Bear. No crazy expensive backs for me...not my bag.

Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:47 pm

cccc wrote: besides a couple of them portraits are boring to me.

Hey now, watch it!! Very Happy I collect T206 HOF portraits and believe there's nothing more exquisite when you find just that right one.
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Empty T206

Post by hrbaker Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:38 pm

Not a set I collect but as a HOF collector I have several HOFers. Although the set never has done a whole lot for me personally I do marvel at the fervor and scholarship that surrounds it and always enjoy reading the posts relating to the backs, scarity, etc.

Last edited by hrbaker on Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:11 am; edited 3 times in total
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:55 pm

3-2-count wrote:
Hey now, watch it!! Very Happy I collect T206 HOF portraits and believe there's nothing more exquisite when you find just that right one.

tony--just trying to keep prices low for you since my opinion carries so much weight in the hobby.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:01 pm

cccc wrote:
3-2-count wrote:

tony--just trying to keep prices low for you since my opinion carries so much weight in the hobby.

righton
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:05 pm

My evolution in the collecting of T206s.

I am not sure what the first T206 was that I bought, but some how I was able to accumulate 80 of them with 10 HOFers in the 80's. Not an easy feat in Minnesota, didn't see much pre 50s stuff.

When I got back into collecting in 2000 I first decided to get all the Cubs, as I was doing this I was buying lots and all the sudden I tried completing other teams. Next thing I knew I was close enough to make a run up to Demmitt/OHare. I also attempted to get each back up to Drum. By 2004 I had accomplished both. I must add that my last 2 cards were given to me by John Dreker a generous man, where are you know John?

Since I have put the set together I started focusing on the Cycle 460 subset. I currently have 76/104 knowns. I have sold off many of my SWeet Cap and Piedmont backs, lost interest in them. Needless to saw I no longer have the set up to D/OH. A long term goal is to try to get all the Cycle backs possible but the 350's have quite a few, so that is a slow progression.

Always an interesting set with with new information turning up all the time.

Lee

bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:14 pm

Mike, I forgot to mention that is really cool the way they are all displayed. Do you have the list of the needed cards in the BST? I know I helped you with one, who knows who might have more to help.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyHarmonica Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:11 pm

Mainly Chief Bender all poses with different backs and also put together the horizontal sub set.
JohnnyHarmonica
JohnnyHarmonica
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:27 pm

My first vintage card was a t206 white cap matty beater...purchased for $2 as a kid. I decided to be a type collector in my late teens/early twenties and casually started going after all of the backs...at 1 point I had all except Uzit...but now I need uzit and drum for a basic set...red hindu included. I probably have about 60-70 T206's...some hof'ers...some highlanders...the diff back...some of the tougher ones...and a few I just like!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:29 pm

Hofers VG/EX or better, I really enjoy them
You can see them here,
http://imageevent.com/ruckers/t206hofers;jsessionid=ipvku4n1h1.eagle_s
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by sandmountainslim Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:54 pm

I like the white border set.
Low grade or whatever, I will take almost any 206 card I find Smile
No particular order, I just buy what I can afford and I love that set.
Wp
sandmountainslim
sandmountainslim
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Abravefan11 Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:54 pm

Thanks for everyone's posts, it's great to see that there is some T206 interest on the forum.

Mike - Your Pirates Super Set is impressive.

Lee - My notes show the Cycle 460 set to consist of 109 possible and the Cycle 350 190 possible. A 299 card Cycle run would be a great accomplishment to say the least.
Abravefan11
Abravefan11
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

T206...Do you collect them and if so how? Empty Team set

Post by Tennisguy Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:03 pm

I recently completed a low grade T206 Phila. Nat'l team set. It was fun and a little challenging to put together. Other than the Magie error, I tried to keep my budget anywhere from $15-30 a card (give or take a few bucks). It is a mix of SGC and PSA graded cards. Grades range from poor to VG, nothing higher. It is a great set, collect it however you like!

Kind Regards
Ryan H.

Tennisguy
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down