Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge

+3
fisherboy7
yawie99
ItsOnlyGil
7 posters

Go down

If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Empty If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:05 pm

the phenomonon by putting together a back collection of one player, without breaking the bank. Yet wanted a player of significance; what choices would be better than vg Hugh Duffys (who holds the season batting average record)?
And how many cards and dollars are we talking about?
Or is this a silly question?
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Empty Re: If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge

Post by yawie99 Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:34 pm

Good question. The Chase blue portrait was one of the first cards that popped into my mind. Not a HoFer, but a significant figure from the era. Plus that card is one of the 350-460 super prints, so you'd have, I think, 26 different backs from which to choose. Home Run Baker might be another good choice. He's not one of the expensive stars of the set, but did have one of the great World Series performances of the T206 era and has a nice array of 350-460 backs. The downside with Baker is that his card seems to be one of the handful of T206's that frequently has crappy registration. I don't know why that is. Same with the Joss and Johnson pitching poses. Jennings or McGraw might be good choices, too. If you want, I have an Excel spreadsheet that has all the cards with all the possible backs. It's probably not a 100 percent accurate, but it's pretty good.
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/yawie99

Back to top Go down

If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Empty Re: If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:04 pm

Yes, I guess that I am way out of touch with this set. Your spreadsheet will be an ideal pivot point. I had no idea that there were 26 different backs in this set. I was thinking single digits, and a budget of maybe $300. max. Hopefully less.
Maybe this can not reasonably be done.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:30 pm

Here's a LINK to Bill Brown's "super set" spreadsheed that we have available for download here. It will give you all the info you're looking for on front/back combinations.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:39 pm

Hi Gil,

I currently own 8 different Duffy backs. The one problem with collecting a HOFer in the 460 series is that there are alot of really tough backs to get and that gets spendy. As far as cheap HOFers, the Duffy, Bresnahan, Willis, McGraw (depending on the pose), tens to be the cheapest.

I have been able to get all the George Brown cards, both Chicago and Washington. Just stumbled in to that happening. Not an easy task, the non piedmont and Sweet Cap backs don't come around too often.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by zouraspm Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:27 pm

I have a piedmont and sweet cap that are not shown. It cost me just under $800. There was a broadleaf that went for about that much in a Sloate auction that I don't regret not bidding on. I figure I'm done collecting Iron Man McGinnity backs.
If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge IronfIf a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Ironb
zouraspm
zouraspm
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Empty Inherited cards

Post by Jan Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:03 pm

Who would I go to for having my cards graded? Of course I want to get the highest price possible and after reviewing posts at this site I feel that must be the first step. Thank you for any suggestions/ Jan

Jan
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:10 am

Based on the information which you provided, my recommendation is these guys:
http://www.psacard.com/

If you can identify the type of cards, their quantity, condition and some other factors; the recommendation could change.

Good luck, Gil
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:27 am

Only problem with PSA is you need to be a member. You will find that most people here are strong supporters of SGC http://www.sgccard.com/

Which company you choose is going to depend on the cards you have. If the collection your looking to sell is sizable, you might consider consigning to an auction house as they will usually get the cards graded at no cost to you.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100If a guy who doesn't collect t206 wanted to acknowledge Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jan Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:44 am

thank you, Jay.I just posted that info on subject line How do you.............

Jan
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down