Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st Post

+4
cccc
fisherboy7
Square_Frame_Ramly
rholmes
8 posters

Go down

1st Post Empty 1st Post

Post by rholmes Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:28 pm

Hi All,

I re-discovered this forum recently, and thought I should introduce myself and get the first post out of the way. A few of you will know me already...been around the other place we all know and love for 5-6 years, mostly flying way under the radar. As for cards, I'm 100% pre-war, E issues, scarcer stuff...and I have no real love for T206 (but bless those of you who do).

All for now. I look forward to posting...seems like a nice vibe.

Ray
rholmes
rholmes
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
1st Post Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 1001st Post Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

1st Post Empty Re: 1st Post

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:42 pm

Welcome Ray...glad to have ya. I feel the same way about T206 and envy those that collect them since it would cost me a fortune to try and complete that set.

I collect M116, T204, and others when i have the extra cash. Right now i am in the process of selling some cards for other things.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
1st Post Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 1001st Post Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rholmes Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:54 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Mark!

To tack onto the T206 thing...weirdly, even though I have never loved them aside from the odd portrait, my all-time, absolute favorite card is the T206 Hans Lobert...just the loveliest card ever I think, and I have three of them. And no others.
rholmes
rholmes
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:05 pm

I always liked portrait cards so that's why M116 cards have been the one set that stands out. I had a friend photo shop my favorite M116 card onto a T204 square frame. Came out great so i have been using it for a while now.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:22 pm

Welcome Ray! Glad to have you aboard. I enjoy chasing the scarcer stuff too. Would love to hear about some of the scarcer items in your collection, and the ones you're still hunting for. It sure is a thrill when you add that super tough type card to the collection, isn't it?

Happy collecting,
Ben
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
1st Post Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 1001st Post Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by rholmes Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:55 pm

Hiya Ben!

True thing about finding tougher cards on your list. I've never been a set builder, just can't seem to get past my card ADD, so it's the chase that keeps the hobby exciting for me. I made a dumb-ass move 1st Post 825340 a few years ago and made myself get out of cards, still don't know why, and sold off all my good/favorite/rarer stuff. What I really miss are the Cabanas cards, the Baseball Bats, and about a dozen E107s. Just these past few months I've gotten back in and I'm slowly getting a few nice things back. Favorites so far are an E90-1 Walsh, and Graham to go with him; a Voskamp's O'Toole; assorted caramel HOFer's; and I have an E107 in the works. Up on the list now is finding at least one Cabanas and an E90-1 Stahl. My craziest dream is to put together a Cabanas set of Detroit players...not sure how realistic that is. But, you can still dream...and that's what makes the whole thing fly.

What's up on your wants these days?
rholmes
rholmes
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:05 pm

Nice, looks like we have alot in common with regards to our taste in cards. I can sympathize with the frustration of having to start over from scratch - I had to do the same thing several years ago. With some patience you'll build back up again and hopefully surpass what you once had!

rholmes wrote:What's up on your wants these days?
Good question. I find my wantlist to be rather unfocused these days. My dream type card is a 1912 Boston Garter - in any player/condition as long as it's in one piece. Unlikely I'll ever track one down due to extreme scarcity/cost. In the more realistic category, I'm just hunting for tough type cards like you. Would like to pick up some 19th century stuff that I've never owned before (yum yum, g&b, etc) but also early 20th century t/e/d types as well. I've recently picked up a few nice Cracker Jack HOFers (Plank and Mack) so I might see if I can keep the ball rolling with those.

Pretty much what it boils down to is, if I see something that's either scarce, or looks nice to me (hopefully both), I go for it. What it lacks in focus it makes up for in simplicity and enjoyability.You can see what my current collection looks like by visiting this LINK

Take care, happy hunting, and enjoy the board! Feel free to drop me a line anytime if you need anything or just want to talk cards.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by rholmes Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:26 pm

Awesome cards in your collection, Ben, and we do have pretty similar tastes!

That Ramly Plank is a favorite. 1st Post 417341
rholmes
rholmes
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:23 pm

hey ray--welcome back, not sure if we've corresponded before Wink

quan
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by rholmes Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:41 pm

No, Quan...I don't think we have.

1st Post 728769

(Hi, buddy.)
rholmes
rholmes
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:48 am

Welcome aboard Ray, I am one that has collected alot of different issues, completed T202 set, T206 (up to Demmitt/O'Hare) have slowly been parting with many of them and focusing on Cycle 460 backs. Plus I have many other cards from different sets, thanks to ebay and the need to buy when I see something I like. Piedmont art stamps are probably the scariest items in my collection.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
1st Post Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 1001st Post Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:07 pm

welcome ray...I'm a type collector...have been working on complete t and e runs...almost there, also have many d, w, f types...have a rare backs t206 collection 80% complete...collect obscure cards of HOF'ers...and have a yankees type collection...and recently have been buying cards from the 40's and 50's that I like.
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
1st Post Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 1001st Post Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:43 pm

welcome aboard. Feel free to jump in any topic. Don't worry about stupid questions. No such thing. Just stupid answers but we try to minimize those.

For me, I am currently collecting Delongs and t205s.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
1st Post Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 1001st Post Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rholmes Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:31 pm

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I recognize all of you from years past on the other board. I never did post much there, but coming back into collecting I'm realizing that as fun as it is just for the sake of the cards alone, it's all that much better when you can also do it while interacting within a community (this is where the violins swell and everyone gets weepy). But really...word to all you serial lurkers out there.

And ullmandds- I recognize that McGraw in your avatar! I used to own him and think maybe I remember you got him from me a few years ago? Always bittersweet to see cards you used to own. McGraw and W. Johnson are my two favorite M116's...funny, but I like all M116's a little better with some wear...but then I like ALL cards better with some wear.

Last edited by rholmes on Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad grammar)
rholmes
rholmes
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:38 pm

Hey Ray, if you want to see some amazing 19th century material, you should check out Patrick Preece's Website
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by rholmes Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:41 pm

Hey Ben,

Thanks for posting the link. Some of that stuff, I look at it too long and I start to break out into a sweat...serious card envy...but it's still nice to be able to appreciate it from afar.
rholmes
rholmes
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

1st Post Empty The other Hans

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:09 am

1st Post Lobert10
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
1st Post Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 1001st Post Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rholmes Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:51 am

And there he is! I'll always love that card.

Thanks for posting, Jim!
rholmes
rholmes
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down