Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago

+2
terjung
Red Sox Fan
6 posters

Go down

Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Empty Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago

Post by Red Sox Fan Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:03 pm

I have 52 of these cards from my Grandfather, I've found information on them but no value. I'd also like to get these in some kind of protective cover. All help is greatly appreciated.

Go BoSox
Red Sox Fan
Red Sox Fan
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Empty Re: Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago

Post by terjung Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:38 pm

Hi, RSF.

Depending on what you end up wanting to do with them, you may want to get them graded / encapsulated. I would recommend SGC for that. http://www.sgccard.com/
Depending on how nice they are condition-wise and who is on them will determine what they are worth.

A good site for finding out general information is: http://www.oldcardboard.com/ (look under W cards for exhibits)... small blue text beneath the Old Cardboard logo.
Old Cardboard is a great starting off point, but I wouldn't rely on it to much for their "estimated value" as those numbers are out of date.

Posting scans would help, but short of that... this advice should get you started. Good luck!
Brian
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:12 am

There isn't a big market for post WW2 Exhibits. If they were issued before WW2, then you've got some good stuff. With post WW2 stuff, even the DiMaggio and Williams have very little value as they are easily among the most frequently seen ones.

the post WW2 Exhibits are known as Salutation Exhibits as the facsimile autograph says Best Wishes or some such thing.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sox Fan Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:57 pm

Thanks being new here I hope it's ok to post a couple of pics of them?

Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Granddadscards011

Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Granddadscards004

Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Granddadscards002

I have 52 total like these, I believe the are circa 1921-22

Thanks,

RSF
Red Sox Fan
Red Sox Fan
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:52 pm

The Walter Johnson on a 1921 Exhibits (Set 1). I don't know if there is any paper loss on the back (that greatly affects the grading), but assuming there is not, it looks like probably a $200-$250 card if graded.

The Rogers Hornsby is from the same set. It is hard to judge condition based on your scans since the edges and corners are not visible. Again, assuming no paper loss on the back and no creasing that I cannot see, you are probably somewhere aroung $150 for that one.

The Kerr is once again from the same set and is probably somewhere around $20-$80 depending on its condition. Once again, no corners are visible.

If it were me, I would at least get the HOFers graded since that not only establishes authenticity, but protects them as well. Also, it helps to get a better handle on their value. People are more likely to buy graded versions (by a respected third party grader such as SGC or PSA) than ungraded (raw) - at least online due to authenticity concerns.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Empty 1921s

Post by hrbaker Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:31 pm

Do you have a Peckinpaugh?
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:51 pm

Red Sox Fan wrote:Thanks being new here I hope it's ok to post a couple of pics of them?

I have 52 total like these, I believe the are circa 1921-22

It's more than ok, it's encouraged Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago 182900

Those are some really nice cards! I concur with Brian (terjung) re: pricing. Do you have a list of players on hand? If you do end up selling them, consider keeping the nicest one...Johnson perhaps...as a keepsake.

Does anyone have an ebay link to those oversized card savers that fit Exhibits?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:36 pm

You definitely have some good ones. I know the 1921 Ruth is a popular one not only because it's Ruth but for the great pose. Great cards and feel free to post scans of as many as you like.

There is a section titled Helpful Information for Collectors. We have created virtual sets there with scans of cards from those sets. Feel free to start one for the 1921 Exhibits using your cards.

Welcome to the board. Don't be afraid to ask questions and keep sharing those scans. While many want to see the HOFers, there others like myself who love seeing the common players because some of the coolest poses are of common players.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sox Fan Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:57 am

Many thanks for the help! I really like to get these in protective cover asap. My Grandfather wrote on the back of these, guess they were his thoughts on the player. I do have one Leon Goslin (Washington A.L ) looks like Granddad got him to autograph it in pencil? I'll post all the names tomorrow morning, and leave you some more pics.

Granddad's writting on back

Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Granddadscards021

Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Granddadscards022

Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Granddadscards013

Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Granddadscards014

I'll do a better job and get full picture on here next time.

Do you have a Peckinpaugh? No I do not,Sam Peckinpaugh was a director of one of my all time favorite movies though, The Wild Bunch Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago 182900

RSF
Red Sox Fan
Red Sox Fan
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:05 am

Great stuff with your Granddad writing notes on the back. Personally, I love it, but it kills the value. I'd love to see more of what he wrote about the players. It's always great to insight as to what fans thought of players back then and terminology they used. I love that phrase "Blood good"

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by hrbaker Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:14 am

"Monarch of All that he Surveys" sorta the pre-cursor to "Master of his own Domain"
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sox Fan Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:00 pm

I'm working on the compete list of cards, thought you might enjoy seeing picture of Granddad's Glove. I don't know how he played catch with me much less playing on a "farm team" during the day!

Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Granddadsglove001

Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Granddadsglove002

RSF
Red Sox Fan
Red Sox Fan
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:33 pm

You've got some great stuff. If you have kids or are planning on having them, I'd seriously consider keeping this stuff and passing it along to them. It's a great family legacy.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sox Fan Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:29 pm

This is long and was done on MS WORD, hope it goes through. I have 1 question posted at bottom of list, don't understand this??
I'm researching St. Louis Browns, did they disappear or merge. Sorry never heard of them. This place is giving me a baseball history lesson. Many thanks to all.

Red Sox Fan

ps. I'm seeing what appears to be Red Sox players in pin stripes????? Please say it ain't so!

I’m going to put cards the way I see them on here as I’m not sure of the difference between 1921 & 1922 issue. “Bold letters” are what My Granddad wrote on the back!

Ray Shalk (catcher) Chicago A.L.

Ray W. Shalk (catcher) Chicago Am. L

Harry Heilman (fielder) Detroit A.L. “SLUGGER OF THE SLUGGERS”

Tris Speaker (Manager) Cleveland A.L. “THE SMILE WHICH LOGED HIM IN 6th PLACE

Carl W. Mays (pitcher) New York A.L. “THE SUBWAY ARTIST

Chas Robertson Chicago A.L. “PERFECT BALL FRAME

Rollie C. Naylor (pitcher) Philadelphia Am.L.

John Collins (outfielder) Boston Am. L

Stanley Coveleskie (pitcher) Cleveland Am. L.

Anthony Lazzeri New York A.L.

Lack D. Wheat (outfielder) Brooklyn N.L.

Walter L. Holke (infielder) Boston N.L.

Kenneth Williams St. Louis A.L.

Kenneth R.Williams (outfielder) St. Louis Am.L.

George O’Neil (catcher) Boston N.L.

Gerber (infield) St. Louis A.L. (single name????)

Ed (Bing) Miller Philadelphia A.L.

Allen Sothoron (pitcher) Cleveland A. L.

Walter Mails (pitcher) Cleveland A. L.

Jack Smith St. Louis N.L

Urban Shocker (pitcher) St. Louis Am.L.

Robt.. Veach (outfielder) Detroit Am. L.

Sherrod Smith Brooklyn N.L.

Curtis Walker Philadelphia N..L.

Cy Williams (outfielder) Philadelphia N..L.

S.F. “Steve” O’Neil (catcher) Cleveland. Am. L

Robert W. Muesel (outfield) New York A.L.

Walton E. Cruse (outfielder) Boston N.L.

John Bassler (catcher) Detroit A.L.

Everett Scott (infielder) New York A.L.

Walter J. Maranville (infielder) Pittsburg N.L.

Sam Harris (infielder) Washington A.L.

Jesse Haines (pitcher) St. Louis N.L

Geo. H. Sisler (infielder) St. Louis A.L. “THE MAZARIN

Leon Goslin Washington A.L. THIS APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN AUTOGRAPHED IN PENCIL. Washington Senators would have been closest MLB team to Granddad who lived in North Carolina!

Sam P.Jones (pitcher) Boston Am. L.

Howard Ehmke (pitcher) Boston A. L.

Fred Wingfield Boston A. L.

Walter P. Johnson (pitcher) Washington Am.L.

Jacob E. Daubert (infielder) Cincinnati N.L.”GOOD YER

Ralph “Cy” Perkins (catcher) Philadelphia Am.L.”BLOOD GOOD

Dick Kerr (pitcher) Chicago Am. L. “THE HERO

Joe Judge Washington A.L.”MONARCH OF ALL HE SURVEYS

J.Frank Baker (infielder) New York A.L.

Eddie Collins Philadelphia A..L.

Eddie T. Collins (infielder) Chicago Am. L

Rogers Hornsby (infield) St. Louis N.L.

Grover C. Alexander (pitcher) Chicago N.L.

W.C.”Red” Faber (pitcher) Chicago Am.L.

J. “Stuffy” McInnis (infielder) Boston Am. L”THE PREMIRE”

Earl Smith (catcher) New York N.L.

Edwin Rommel (pitcher) Philadelphia A..L

W.M.Hargrave St. Louis A.L.

Fred Haney Boston A.L. (CARD SHOWS HIM IN DETROIT UNIFORM)

Geo. Maisel (outfielder) Chicago N.L.

William L. Killifer (catcher) Chicago N.L.

George Dauss (pitcher) Detroit Am.L.

W.S.Shanks(infielder) Washington Am.L.”THE SWING THAT COUNTS” (CARD SHOWS HIM IN A’s UNIFORM)

Derrill Pratt Boston A.L.

Aaron Ward (infielder) New York A.L.

H.M “Hank” Gowdy (catcher) Boston N.L.

Willie Kamm Chicago A.L.

George Cutshaw (infielder) Detroit A.L.

Ivy B. Wingo (catcher) Cincinnati N.L.”

Geo. W. Burns Cleveland A.L.

Joe Dugan Boston A.L.

Anybody want to guess at this one I’m lost

Geo. H. Sisler (infielder) St. Louis A.L. “THE MAZARIN

Mazarin

Jules , original name Giulio Mazarini. 1602--61, French cardinal and statesman, born in Italy. He succeeded Richelieu (1642) as chief minister to Louis XIII and under the regency of Anne of Austria (1643--61). Despite the disturbances of the Fronde (1648--53), he strengthened the power of France in Europe

HC_Discovery()

Red Sox Fan
Red Sox Fan
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:35 pm

sabrjay wrote:You've got some great stuff. If you have kids or are planning on having them, I'd seriously consider keeping this stuff and passing it along to them. It's a great family legacy.

Completely agree. Especially with the writing on the back of some of the Exhibits - that leads to more "worth" than "value". Selling all of the Exhibits and the glove wouldn't lead to "life changing" money, so I would be inclined to keep and treasure them if I were you. That is a great looking glove too. Congratulations on having that kind of family heirloom! Very very cool. Thanks for sharing! As Ben said (and it is his board), never feel bashful about posting pictures here. You are among friends.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by nolemmings Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:55 pm

Can't help you with the Mazarin, unless it's some sort of variation of Missourian, as Sisler played in St. Louis (but was born in OH).

BTW, the St. Louis Browns became the Baltimore Orioles after the 1953 season.

EDITED TO ADD: Just spot checking your list, I see where you have a card of Tony Lazzeri, who did not play in the Big Leagues until 1926--so your cards include more than just the 1921 and 1922 sets.

Last edited by nolemmings on Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:58 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : more info)
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:15 pm

Just to add a little more to your Brownies lesson. The franchise originally started in Milwaukee as the Brewers in 1901. They moved to St Louis and became the Browns in 1902. The much hated Yankees aren't even an original AL franchise. They started their existence in Baltimore and didn't move to New York until 1903 and became the Highlanders.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sox Fan Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:08 pm

BTW, the St. Louis Browns became the Baltimore Orioles after the 1953 season.
I'm just found out that the Baltimore Orioles were a farm team for the Red Sox WOW that's how the $#@^ Yankees got the Babe

EDITED TO ADD: Just spot checking your list, I see where you have a card of Tony Lazzeri, who did not play in the Big Leagues until 1926--so your cards include more than just the 1921 and 1922 sets.

Thanks, I'm getting a crash course here. Need to take better pics as well
Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Granddadscards

I talk to my Dad today and asked him to see if he can dig up a team photo of my Granddad on the farm team he played for, I THINK it was for the Cubs? Is the a web site that might have these pics or history. He was born in 1903 so 1919 on would be a good guess for time frame.

I'm still trying to find protective sleeves for these and someone in Norfolk Virginia area to grade them. I DO NOT INTEND TO SELL THEM, I'll pass them on to my daughter but like a round about $$$ amount.

Any more info you guys can pass on will help out.

Thanks,
RSF
Red Sox Fan
Red Sox Fan
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:07 am

At the time your grandfather played, minor league teams were not affiliated with any MLB teams.

I don't think the farm system as we know it started until around the 1930s. Previous to that, teams just purchased the contract of a minor league player that they wanted. The reason the PCL was such a good league for so long is that they paid their players well. Often more than what MLB teams would pay. This is a big reason why Lefty O'Doul spent much of his career in the PCL rather than with MLB teams.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago Empty Lazzeri

Post by hrbaker Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:18 am

"Poosh 'Em Up" Lazzeri appears to be a 1927 Exhibit. Does it have a greenish tint to it?
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sox Fan Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:38 am

hrbaker wrote:"Poosh 'Em Up" Lazzeri appears to be a 1927 Exhibit. Does it have a greenish tint to it?

Compared to the other cards it it greenish in color, "Poosh 'em up" ya gotta love the colerful nicknames from them.

Everytime I see the movie "Field of Dreams" it reminds me so much of Granddad, he ended up working for the Post Office, but I'd bet you anything he'd would have loved that 1 at bat in the Big Leagues.

RSF
Red Sox Fan
Red Sox Fan
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down