Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leader Novelty Candy Company Box

+2
r337man
bb440
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Leader Novelty Candy Company Box Empty Leader Novelty Candy Company Box

Post by bb440 Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:19 am

I'm new to this forum because I noticed an old discussion on Leader Novelty Candy Company "Baseball Stars" boxes. In short I am wondering if I have anything like what you talked about. Each box is 2"x3" by about 1/2" deep. Baseball Stars printed on front with a curved die cut and drawing of some players on part of diamond. On the back it says if collect enough bozes you can get a tennis ball or baseball, baseball bat, leather fielder's glove, or if you have 500 a "large aluminum 'Zep'." My guess is a model of a zeppelin?

At any rate, it sounds like someone described something like this last year.

I got these 30 years ago and never ran across anyone who could tell me what they were. Back then I even contacted Leader Candy Company in Brooklyn and they didn't know. Sure could use some help in dating them or knowing what was in them. Thanks.

bb440
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Leader Novelty Candy Company Box Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Leader Novelty Candy Company Box Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Leader Novelty Candy Company Box Empty Re: Leader Novelty Candy Company Box

Post by r337man Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:48 pm

Yes! You have it!  It is a great box.  I co-authored an article on these in oldcardboard magazine with my good friend and much more wiser than me friend - Mark Macrae.

http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/BBC-index/articleSummaryDetail.asp?id=1333

Dan
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Leader Novelty Candy Company Box Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Leader Novelty Candy Company Box Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:03 pm

got any pics?
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Leader Novelty Candy Company Box Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Leader Novelty Candy Company Box Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:15 pm

Yes I do somewhere, I will check
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-NUT Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:22 pm

Didn't Leader Novelty make a box with like circus or zoo animals on it as well?

Z-NUT
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Leader Novelty Candy Company Box Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Leader Novelty Candy Company Box Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:27 pm

r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:29 pm

r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-NUT Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:33 pm

You're right Dan, Schapira was the one I was thinking of.

Z-NUT
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Leader Novelty Candy Company Box Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Leader Novelty Candy Company Box Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bb440 Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:41 pm

That's the box. Mine are still in the box shape. One is blue. The others red. You are saying these are 1929? I do not see the 4 slits to hold a card. I am going to have to read the article. It is finally nice to hear from someone who has at least seen them.

bb440
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Leader Novelty Candy Company Box Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Leader Novelty Candy Company Box Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:46 pm

The slits are there though my friend Mark's box does not have the slits.  If you look at the picture above, you can clearly see one of the slits in the "ST" of Stars.  Dan
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bb440 Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:55 am

I see what you are talking about. None (slits) on what I have. Could have those been added by the person who bought it? I am ordering OLD CARDBOARD to read the article.

Were these only sold in 1929? I see no dates on the box. Have you seen a blue box? It is identical to the red except the "Baseball Stars" and lettering on back are red and on front the fence and players' jerseys are blue along with the body of the box. Do you think they are from the same year? One wonders what was produced in the Depression.

Sorry about all the questions. It's just that every few years I would ask an "expert" or dealer and would just see a shrug or be told no they're not old.

Thanks, Dan, for all the feedback.

I know Leader Novelty made cards, like Marines and maybe other military. Don't know about animals.

--Bob

bb440
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:18 pm

Hi Bob, your questions are always welcome here and appreciated!

The slits look awfully machine perfect to fit a card for someone to have done it by hand.
I guess it is possible if they took the time to measure precisely.

I think the set is dated by the players and what teams they are on at the time.  I am guessing that is how the original date of issue was selected.  Unless someone found an advertisement.

I have never seen the blue box, both me and my friend have red ones.

Can you post a picture?

How many total boxes do you have?

Do you have the cards as well?

Dan
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:05 pm

We would all love to see a picture of the blue box.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Leader Novelty Candy Company Box Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Leader Novelty Candy Company Box Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bb440 Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:31 pm

I never did get any Leader cards, because no one could ever really tell me what was in the boxes. They have been packed away and out of mind for a few years.

As far as pics, and as far I am new to this forum, I thought I read I could only post pics that had already been posted somewhere else. I didn't know how to go about it and what was protocol here.

One blue box and four red. I am pretty certain they never have been flattened because there are no creases nor much color breakdown on the edges (some on two of the opening flaps and small tear on the blue opening flap).

Thanks for your help.

Bob

bb440
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:43 pm

Bob, you can use the forum to post your pictures. Just hover your cursor over the "host an image" icon above (3rd from the left of the YouTube icon) and it will walk you through how to post the picture.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Leader Novelty Candy Company Box Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Leader Novelty Candy Company Box Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:20 pm

Jay, if you are not going to accept banner ads, then stay out of it! J/K Smile

Bob, the cards are very cool! Let me know if you want some pictures, actually, I think there are a few on ebay right now
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bb440 Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:12 pm

I will be gone the next day or so. Will do my best with the pics this weekend.

Thanks,
Bob

bb440
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bb440 Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:44 pm

Here is my first attempt to send a picture of two of the Leader Novelty boxes

bb440
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bb440 Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:46 pm

okay--that didn't work. What URL do I need?

bb440
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bb440 Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:52 am

This time I read the directions. Red and blue Leader Novelty Candy Company boxes

Leader Novelty Candy Company Box Img_2913

bb440
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Z-NUT Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:20 am

Very nice!

Z-NUT
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bb440 Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:50 am

Another view. One of the bottom flaps to one of the red boxes is torn loose. I actually forgot about that one until I took it out of its case last night. One of the first people I showed to tried to open it. Oh well that was about 25 years ago. I kind of went picture crazy so if there is a back or side you all want to see, I'll post it. Thanks for your help. --Bob

Leader Novelty Candy Company Box Img_2915

bb440
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:03 pm

wow, condition is amazing
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:56 am

beautiful boxes!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bb440 Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:37 am

I still have to get a hold of that article in Old Cardboard. I have a call in to order an issue. The last time I had them out a dealer told me they were from the 50's and not really anything.

I'm learning that there is such a thing as too rare. But I like them.

I am interested Dan, have you had much feedback on your article? Is it bringing the 1929 Leader set more out into the open?

--Bob

bb440
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next