Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

t206 plank: trim or not? what do u guys think...

+4
hrbaker
sabrjay
3-2-count
cccc
8 posters

Go down

trim or no?

t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Vote_lcap72%t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Vote_rcap 72% 
[ 13 ]
t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Vote_lcap0%t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Vote_lcap28%t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 18

Poll closed

t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Empty t206 plank: trim or not? what do u guys think...

Post by cccc Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:51 am

this card was sold originally back in late 2005 (can't believe it's been that long). shortly after we were surprised psa graded it as a 3 and sold for a little less than 30k on ebay...it's back on the block now in goodwin.

here's the original auction description when it was raw:
Scarce 1909-11 T-206 Eddie Plank. One of the rarest and most desired single cards of all tobacco issues. Card is centered slightly to the top retaining clear registration and original color. Sweet Caporal back has some light to moderate toning with a faint "1909" date written in pencil (small). The card has even corner wear and although it measures to the full specifics of its issue it has a small area on both the top and bottom edges where it appears to have been slightly trimmed in the period. The areas of wear are primarily to the top right edge and the bottom left edge. Although it is possible that the aforementioned areas are from wear, the cut is unusual enough that the possibility of partial slight trimming in the period does exist. Uncommon card which remains at the top of many collectors' want lists: VG (with note to edge irregularity)

t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... 52610 t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Auctio10

Last edited by cccc on Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Empty Re: t206 plank: trim or not? what do u guys think...

Post by cccc Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:55 am

padding my post count...i bidded 9k originally but wasn't close as it ended at 13.5k raw.

also note the pencil "1909" in original description that's no longer on the card back.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Empty Re: t206 plank: trim or not? what do u guys think...

Post by 3-2-count Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:08 am

I vote "Trimmed". To much inconsistency on those borders for me to say without a doubt not messed with.
Nice card though that would look just fine in my collection even if it were in an authentic holder.

Tony A.
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:18 am

That lower left corner is a mess.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Empty Plank

Post by hrbaker Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:26 am

To me the bottom left corner leaves very little room for discussion. If I saw this card raw I would immediately think it was trimmed.
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by caramelcard Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:39 am

From the back, the top and bottom borders look absolutely horrible.
I have no doubt this card is trimmed.

Rob

caramelcard
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by psacollector Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:07 am

The top and bottom edges look obviously trimmed.
psacollector
psacollector
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Empty WOW....

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:37 am

PSA must have hired Mr. Magoo for that grading....even if it were not trimmed, how did it get a 3 insane

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:34 pm

Unreal...the hits just keep coming! The lower rt corner looks somewhat ok...the other 3 look trimmed to me. Another Big Buck Blunder for the kings of the collecting universe.
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:05 pm

yea pretty yucky. it's probably trimmed. back then i was 95% sure looking at it, now it's 94%. my reasoning is even back then it would've been a 25-30k card if it's a 3...so psa would give it a good look see? but i'm probably giving the monkeys too much credit.

if you can get this card for the same price knowing its history or a nice presetable 1 that's clean, which would you choose? it'd have to be the 1 right? the 1 would look similar to this cobb...

t206 plank: trim or not?  what do u guys think... T206_c10
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down