Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Budget Grading Companies and eBay??

+10
Square_Frame_Ramly
TheBig6
arandy
ItsOnlyGil
crazylocomerk
bowlingshoeguy
cccc
sabrjay
terjung
cheesewedge
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Budget Grading Companies and eBay??

Post by crazylocomerk Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:20 pm

cheesewedge wrote:

GOTCHA! I can definately see your point. I hope I can do it without messing the card up. Are there any technics to cracking these cases that might help?

cheese

What I've been told is that you can take a pair of needle-nosed pliers and break off a corner of the slab. Then use a screwdriver carefully and pop it open.

Quan will give you the best advice though, since he cracks his slabs pretty regularly.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Empty Yes...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:42 pm

Quan is an expert so if he disagrees with my opinion then do what he says Very Happy

First: Hold slab to be opened on a flat table with one corner hanging over edge, then take (Needlenose, visegrips) pliers and break off a small piece of corner. Any corner will do.

Second: Keep card on table and take a nice size flat head screwdriver and insert it into the broken corner and gently pry open slab while moving screwdriver along top edge, you will hear a crackling sound.

Third: While slab is coming apart slip your index finger and thumb of the hand holding the card down in to the open slab so it won't spring back as you are prying it.

Last: Keep slab steady on table so card inside won't jump and fall out of position. Once you went around most of the slab with screwdriver you should be able to just lift off top piece.

This is how i have always done it in the past with no problems.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Budget Grading Companies and eBay??

Post by glenv Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:45 pm

Something just looks wrong with the card. The black is definately much darker and sharper. Do you have a picture of the back? Maybe there is more evidence one way or the other. Hopefully it's real, buy if it obviously isn't, might as well skip the grader and save your time & money .

glenv
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by arandy Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:16 pm

Square_Frame_Ramly wrote:It was the best $10 you will ever spend since now you know. You could have spent thousands of dollars if the seller had a scarce card.

I absolutely agree Mark. I also forgot to mention that the holders were cheap and were cracked.

-Randy
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:53 pm

many ways to carve a turkey, just do what you feel most comfortable.

i'm too weak to use a plier so i use the exacto knife all the way around...convenient for after cracking also when you want to trim the card down.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cheesewedge Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:17 pm

Here it is out of the slab and a bit better scan.

Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Image017

cheese

cheesewedge
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:16 pm

Any chance you can trim the scan and give a close up of the name? That will be a telling sign if the card is fake or not. If you know how to do it, turn the resolution up to 600-800 dpi. That will give a good strong image

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Empty try this....

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:51 pm

Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 300_im10
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:34 pm

Can't tell anything from that. Too fuzzy. Scan needs to be a higher resolution.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Empty yea...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:29 pm

i resized it but they get fuzzy...i thought you wanted to look at lettering so i tried to make the letters come up.

IMHO....the borders look too white, the lettering looks ok but i am no expert.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:34 pm

I agree with pro9 (Elliot), the T206 Young looks authentic but trimmed. And that's the case with most CSA graded cards I've seen. True, it's hard to base an opinion on that scan alone, but I feel fairly certain in this case.

Still a very nice looking card that many collectors would be grateful to own.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by cheesewedge Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:48 am

sabrjay wrote:Any chance you can trim the scan and give a close up of the name? That will be a telling sign if the card is fake or not. If you know how to do it, turn the resolution up to 600-800 dpi. That will give a good strong image

Jay

How 'bout this??

Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Young_10

cheese

cheesewedge
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cheesewedge Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:52 am

fisherboy7 wrote:I agree with pro9 (Elliot), the T206 Young looks authentic but trimmed. And that's the case with most CSA graded cards I've seen. True, it's hard to base an opinion on that scan alone, but I feel fairly certain in this case.

Still a very nice looking card that many collectors would be grateful to own.

I agree. It will be a very nice card if proved authentic. It will NOT be a nice card if authentic and altered with the $900 price tag it took to get it.

cheese

cheesewedge
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:07 am

cheesewedge wrote:I agree. It will be a very nice card if proved authentic. It will NOT be a nice card if authentic and altered with the $900 price tag it took to get it.

The card is without a doubt authentic. No worries there. And the close up scan is encouraging to me. At least there are no blatantly obvious signs of trimming/alteration (edges are very straight). It's a really nice card! But I'm standing by my previous statement that it's likely trimmed; still worth a shot submitting to PSA/SGC though (try PSA first).
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:12 am

i would inspect the bottom border closely...it's a nice card...don't think it's $900 nice for an authentic card so i'm pulling for ya.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:19 am

the larger scan definitely points to it being legit. No obvious signs from the scan that it is altered either. You may have hit the jackpot in a CSA slab it SGC or PSA grades it.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:25 am

Definitely a nice card, I also would look closely at the bottom edge, looks cleaner than the top edge. Can you get a scan of the back?

Good Luck with the grading,

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cheesewedge Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:47 pm

bowlingshoeguy wrote:Definitely a nice card, I also would look closely at the bottom edge, looks cleaner than the top edge. Can you get a scan of the back?

Good Luck with the grading,

Lee

As requested. I also inverted the card on my scanner bed (trying another angle) and raised the resolution to 800 dpi for a better look at that bottom edge.

Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Young_12

Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Young_13

cheese

cheesewedge
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cheesewedge Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:52 pm

BTW... A BIG "THANK YOU" to everyone on your thoughts and input. I really do appreciate it!

cheese

cheesewedge
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by hanksta Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:35 pm

The bottom edge looks a bit off (too clean of a cut compared to the top edge), but I think I'm just swayed by knowing it was originally in a CSA slab. If it grades, I'm guessing a 5 or 6, which would put you at a value of $1300+ for a 5.
hanksta
hanksta
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://www.millcitycards.com

Back to top Go down

Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Empty Sorry if this was asked already...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:19 pm

Did you measure it?

That will give you a pretty good idea.

Should measure 1-7/16 x 2-5/8, use a digital caliper if you have one. They are pretty cheap on-line, it makes measuring a card so much easier.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:24 pm

Is there paper loss under "The" and above "cigarette" on the back? It looks like there is some on the left edge on back. Don't mean to rain on the parade but it appears to be there. By the way great scans.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:23 pm

Bottom edge looks trimmed, but I am swayed by it being in the CSA holder. Certainly worth a submission, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Budget Grading Companies and eBay?? - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:01 am

besides the suspected trim job...card looks freaking NRMT, except for the back left edge border damage? that's a tremendous card!
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:41 pm

I'm curious about how the submission will turn out. Please keep us updated!
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next