Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PRO Grading Holders

5 posters

Go down

PRO Grading Holders Empty PRO Grading Holders

Post by arandy Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:07 pm

Since there has been so much talk about PRO and CSA latley, I decided to visit PRO's website. While I was there, I found this article. Is their holder really that good? And more importantly, are PSA and SGC holders really that bad?

PRO wrote: Your cards are in the best condition they will ever be today. Time, motion, light, and environment are the enemies of all materials on earth. It is the job of a grading company to minimize these forces so that a Gem Mint 10 today is still a 10 three generations down the line Sadly, many grading companies fail to think much beyond the next E-Bay auction. This short sighted mentality is leaving many cards degrading daily--especially if they are exposed to the ravages and fading that results from exposure to UV light. Both PSA and SGC holders offer no UV protection beyond a minimal amount that comes from the cheap plastic itself. At PRO, our plastic costs four times as much, because we demand only the finest optical grade polycarbonate enriched with the finest UV protectant available. This material also is more difficult to mold and takes a higher melting point than conventional industrial plastics, but the result is worth the cost.

-Randy
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
PRO Grading Holders Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100PRO Grading Holders Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

PRO Grading Holders Empty Re: PRO Grading Holders

Post by sabrjay Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:25 pm

Unless you store your cards in out in the open in a sunlit room, you don't have much to worry about as far as UV fading goes. The biggest problem is with PSA and other holders that do not custom fit the holder to the card. Caramel cards floating around in condoms inside a PSA holder are going to take some damage over time if they are handled with any amount of frequency and who knows how much they are moving around when they are in the mail.

Jay

Last edited by sabrjay on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
PRO Grading Holders Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100PRO Grading Holders Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:57 pm

Many people expose their cards to direct and indirect sunlight from time to time. Any exposure to light will result in (not usually detectible) deterioration, If the holder is constructed of a polycarbonate plastic, this effect is minimized. I am sure that your cards do not typically absorb much direct impacts. However, if this were to accidentally occur, polycarbonate is also the most commonly available impact resistent plastic.

PRO grades their cards to standards which they specify. and most do not agree with. However, from a card protection standpoint, their holders are not equalled in the hobby.

I have no PRO holders now, and sometimes think that a few HOF PRO 10s could be nice with a bead of glue around the seam; to be used as coasters/conversation pieces.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
PRO Grading Holders Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100PRO Grading Holders Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:30 am

why are you even on the pro website? mallet sure there are some things in the world i'm curious about, but it's probably best i leave it alone Smile.

as for uv protection/fading i would think if u scan a card over and over, esp. a real photo card/pc then the fading would accelerate even faster?
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
PRO Grading Holders Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100PRO Grading Holders Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by arandy Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:41 pm

Gil,

Your'e absolutley right! These cards make very good coasters.
PRO Grading Holders New_pi10
-Randy
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
PRO Grading Holders Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100PRO Grading Holders Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:31 pm

Needless to say, PRO is a junky grading co because they willingly slab trimmed cards with numerical grades. BUT, I have to admit that their holders are very solid. I once tried to break out a '89 fleer Jordan card from a PRO 9.5 holder, and it was damn near impossible. frustrated

I had to go the plier/goggles route, which rman444 once suggested for the Beckett holders. I finally busted it that way, but I'd say PRO holders are even tougher to crack than the Beckett though.

I'd have to agree with Gil's coaster comment - that would work well.

And by the way, just noticed Randy's new avatar. Very subtle. laughing
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
PRO Grading Holders Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100PRO Grading Holders Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down