Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards?

+4
bowlingshoeguy
crazylocomerk
jebren72
fisherboy7
8 posters

Go down

GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Empty GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards?

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:02 pm

I'm not a huge graded card collector, but I do have a pretty nice caramel card HOFer in a GAI holder, and I'm debating whether or not I should crack it out and sell it raw. What are your experiences/observations - does GAI have a bad rep with vintage collectors? Do GAI holders hurt the value of vintage cards overall?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Empty Re: GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards?

Post by jebren72 Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:09 pm

After seeing what they do with autographs I'd look at anything from GAI with a whole lot of suspicion.

jebren72
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Empty Re: GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards?

Post by crazylocomerk Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:31 pm

I have only 1 card graded by GAI. I've thought about breaking it out and resubmitting it to SGC. That's how much I like GAI.....

Here's the card:

GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? 1911E-94MooreEarlGeorgeCloseCandy

I do believe it will cross over numerically, just not at the same numerical level. With the pencil marking on the front, I'm hoping it would get a 20.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jebren72 Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:33 pm

Is Global still in business and if so how?

jebren72
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:43 pm

I think you can get GAI cards for a grade drop less not often then get the same price as a SGC or PSA.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Empty GAI

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:39 am

Pretty much, you can put the last nail in their coffin. Ben, I would crack that card out and have SGC grade it.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:28 pm

Ben, I would leave it as is. If it's the card I think it is I don't see any benefit value wise if cracked out.
If it were a high grade card I would feel differently, but not a lower graded example. Just my two cents.

Tony A.
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:09 pm

95% of the time i would rather sell a card raw than leaving it inside a GAI holder...altho imo in some cases cards sell better raw than graded.

edit: when i was still submitting to GAI all my cards later crossed into PSA/SGC holders...so they were competent. it's all the alleged extra-curricular stuff that went on that caused the GAI cards i bought not in person to have problems sometimes...
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by onlychild Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:14 am

I have a lot of cards in GAI holders. I would go there a few times a year, for many years, to meet with Mike Baker and the others. A very friendly group.

He and I would talk in great detail about card, slab and flip alterations. We traded knowledge, I taught him about advanced alterations and he trained me on the finer points of card grading and how some of the biz operated. He proved himself to me many times over and is the only person I trust with this information.

The original Global Authentication folded but it reopened in March 09 under the name Global Authority with Baker now being a partner. They are based in Iowa of all places. We still talk regulalry and I hope their new company is successful.

They are the only company who actually changed the security of their flips based on what they were shown. To be fair, Beckett also had security checks done on their slabs and flips...also a great group. PSA could care less, even after being shown in detail the serious security problems they had. Now their flips and slabs can regularly be seen forged and faked, very sad to see.

Never heard about any alleged extra-curricular stuff...only about another popular grading company GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Icon_evil .

Many were not pleased with the previous company and several collectors are not comfortable with their graded cards. Personally, I have no problem with them. Admittedly their cards sell for less than the other grading companies.

Just my two cents.
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.AlteredCards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:40 am

baker should pack up and go get a job at sgc/psa/beckett. if i'm reading the situation correctly he is basically GAI right now (with a partner backing him financially?)...i think the GAI ship has sailed and sunk. for global authority to absolve all mistakes from global authentication when baker is/was the head grader of both speaks volume.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by onlychild Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:59 pm

He had creative control and was the head of grading at the original Global but was completely governed by others. From what I know, while at PSA as the head grader, he wanted to expand the grading into packs, boxes etc. They refused so joined Steve Rocci at Global's formation. Collectors would not have these options if it wasn't for them..we would still be limited to just cards. He is still a well respected grader and many consider him (as do I) the best in the biz. Joining another company (especially PSA) was probably not an option for him. Unfortunately, to say they over-promised and under-delivered along with no communication is an understatement and was the key to their eventual collapse.

FYI, if you want a card that was guaranteed to have been graded by Baker, you need to look for the newer type flips...white glossy background with a black design or the bluish background that is the first counterfeit proof design. The new Global has a white background that is apparently counterfeit proof as well. PSA and SGC should take a lesson from that security measure.

Just can't understand why they kept the name so close, it's simply mind boggling? IMO it confuses collectors and reminds them of a problematic past. I'm not sure how the new Global will do or turn out but I wish them the best and should they ask again for assistance or advise, I would be more than happy to do so.

Kevin
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100GAI holders - do they hurt the value of your cards? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.AlteredCards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down