Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would like to get my cards graded - advice needed

+2
3-2-count
BigGuy219
6 posters

Go down

Would like to get my cards graded - advice needed Empty Would like to get my cards graded - advice needed

Post by BigGuy219 Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:59 am

With the exception of two cards (both PSA) none of my cards have been graded. I have a diverse collection including pre-World War I tobacco and caramel cards, early 1920s cards, and gum issues of the '30s, '40s, and early '50s.

I am a collector only. I have never sold a card and am not planning to in the future. The reason I'd like to have them graded is because I find the cases aesthetically pleasing, believe the cases best preserve a card's condition, and allow me to enjoy them more as I often find myself staring at them endlessly trying to judge their condition myself.

The concerns I've always had is that I have a very rigid personality. I wouldn't be able to simply send one or two cards in for grading ... I would have to send them all in and that might be very costly. The next concern I have is the varying grades ... I try to collect certain eras of cards in certain conditions ... and I worry that if a card graded above or below the parameters I'd feel the need to flip the card so that the cards in my collection "match." Finally, the idea of sending them through the mail has always made be a bit uneasy.

Therefore, I have some questions I hope some of you more experienced individuals might be able to help me with.

1. Of the three major grading companies (PSA, SGC, BVG) which grading holders do you find the most aesthetically pleasing?

2. Of the three major grading comapnies which grading scale is the simplest and will allow me the easiest time of "matching" the cards in my set?

3. Of the three major grading companies which will grade a card "Authentic" if the card is so badly hurt they feel it won't even grade as a "1"?

4. In terms of onsite grading at shows such as The National ... is this what it sounds like ... drop off the cards in person, come back later, pick them up? I am not referring to when they describe "accepting submissions."

Thank you for taking the time to read this and assist me. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed considering all this, but I feel that it is time to surrender in my struggle to hold out against getting my cards graded.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Would like to get my cards graded - advice needed Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Would like to get my cards graded - advice needed Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Would like to get my cards graded - advice needed Empty Re: Would like to get my cards graded - advice needed

Post by 3-2-count Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:21 am

1. Of the three major grading companies (PSA, SGC, BVG) which grading holders do you find the most aesthetically pleasing?

answer; Sgc by a landslide.

2. Of the three major grading comapnies which grading scale is the
simplest and will allow me the easiest time of "matching" the cards in
my set?

answer; Sgc is the most consistent grader out there today, hands down.

3. Of the three major grading companies which will
grade a card "Authentic" if the card is so badly hurt they feel it
won't even grade as a "1"?

answer; I know Sgc will talk to you personally on the phone with any request you have. Psa, NOT!!!!

4. In terms of onsite grading at
shows such as The National ... is this what it sounds like ... drop off
the cards in person, come back later, pick them up? I am not referring
to when they describe "accepting submissions.",

answer; Yes, Sgc will be onsite at the National to receive and return your submissions that weekend if this is the service you want to pay for.

I think it's pretty easy to see who my choice would be. I think most here will agree as well.

Good luck, Tony
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Would like to get my cards graded - advice needed Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Would like to get my cards graded - advice needed Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Would like to get my cards graded - advice needed Empty Re: Would like to get my cards graded - advice needed

Post by yawie99 Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:31 am

We sure are a neurotic bunch! I've held just about every possible attitude toward grading, but the percentage of my collection that's graded has been and will probably keep creeping upward. Some of it is the liquidity factor, but some of it is definitely the need for consistency. It makes no sense. For the most part, I'm a very loosely organized slacker, but I'm completely OCD about a few things, one of them obviously being cards.

Anyway, I prefer the look of the SGC slab, though Beckett's probably affords the most protection. That said, I'm actually not a big fan of SGC's scale. Not only are there some missing half grades - not that I'd care if they were all missing - but it just doesn't seem to make mathematical sense. PSA had the right idea with a simple 10-point scale, but they started awarding +0.5's to preferred submitters earlier this year, torching a fair amount of their remaining credibility with the prewar crowd. Lastly, I think all of the Big 3 have an "Authentic" designation for cards that are originals but that won't pass muster with a numerical grade because of restoration, alteration, excessive wear, etc.

Oh yeah, I've never used the service, but "on-site grading" is just that. I'm sure the cost of the service/value of the card dictates how long you have to wait before your cards are ready.

Last edited by yawie99 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Would like to get my cards graded - advice needed Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Would like to get my cards graded - advice needed Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/yawie99

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:44 am

If you have 100 cards to grade, that has got to cost $1,000. when all is said and done. That $1K could be better used to purchase other cards, imo.
If I still didn't care, I would go for thye maximum protection, and not worry about the rating assigned. The maximum protection is available from PRO grading; who provides UV blocking holders made of polycarbonate, which is also inert to the cards.
If the numbers count:

1. Of the three major grading companies (PSA, SGC, BVG) which grading holders do you find the most aesthetically pleasing? SGC

2. Of the three major grading comapnies which grading scale is the simplest and will allow me the easiest time of "matching" the cards in my set? PSA/BVG

3. Of the three major grading companies which will grade a card "Authentic" if the card is so badly hurt they feel it won't even grade as a "1"? I believe that all will, but you have to request it.
4. In terms of onsite grading at shows such as The National ... is this what it sounds like ... drop off the cards in person, come back later, pick them up? I am not referring to when they describe "accepting submissions." Yes, it is. But there are limitations to what can be done.

Summary: if you want pre-war cards graded, SGC is your best choice. They use a dual numbered scale, but it is not difficult to learn. Slabbing is something which I have never done. I want my cards to be available to me to manipulate, alter the presentation, etc. However, almost none of my cards are in very high grade.

Good luck,
Gil
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Would like to get my cards graded - advice needed Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Would like to get my cards graded - advice needed Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by arandy Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:21 pm

We had a similar post a few weeks ago and I thought I'd provide a link.
CLICK HERE
Anyway, SGC all the way. Their number system is complicated and confusing(70=5.5, what?) but the holder is nice and they're consistent with their grades.

-Randy
(I'll put a poll up soon that will see what this forum prefers)
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Would like to get my cards graded - advice needed Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Would like to get my cards graded - advice needed Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:40 am

just some imo's re: grading...

*i don't find any slabs to be pleasant-looking...but beckett has the toughest slabs if ur planning to never sell your cards (because card's resale value will hurt in a bvg holder)
*sgc and psa do no have similar grading scales
*don't go with sgc if you you're obsessed about the grade, they can be overly harsh and unfair in some cases
*sgc CS is just a phone call away, although i've never had a problem with any PSA submissions (15+)
*all 3rd party graders will put cards in Authentic holders if you specify on the submission form
*PSA did ok job getting your cards back at onsite grading...never tried SGC but they might be more efficient

...for your case specifically i would suggest PSA (surprise!)
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Would like to get my cards graded - advice needed Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Would like to get my cards graded - advice needed Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down