Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay?

+2
ullmandds
seablaster
6 posters

Go down

Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay? Empty Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay?

Post by seablaster Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:34 am

I'm undecided about this concept. On the few occasions that I've bought placeholders, I've done very poorly recouping my original investment.

I think I struggle with the uncertainty of not knowing if or when a nicer example will come along. I still consider myself a prewar novice and on many occasions I have looked back and lamented not bidding or not bidding high enough. I've also experienced the antithesis of this which is equally as annoying: bidding aggressively for a card, winning, then seeing an equal or better card come along for the same price or cheaper.

Thoughts?

seablaster
seablaster
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay? Empty Re: Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay?

Post by ullmandds Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:50 am

Historically...I have not been a fan of "placeholder" cards. I have always had the attitude that if the card isn't nice enough to be in my collection...I'll pass!

Mind you though...I have some regrets as some cards I have passed on have never come around again. In my e94 set I have some upgrades to make...so technically these are placeholder cards. Times change!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay? Empty Re: Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay?

Post by seablaster Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:10 am

Peter, if you have scans readily accessible, I'd be interested in seeing which of your E94s you thought were second tier.

When I first came back into collecting I used to be SUPER rigid about what grade I collected, but the further I've come I've become more able to purchase based on eye appeal as everyone suggests. Unfortuntely, a lot of great cards were left on the wayside.
seablaster
seablaster
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:39 am

I'm not big on placeholders, unless they come as part of cheap lots. I generally decide on a condition range for a set at the beginning and then avoid cards that are below that range (as well as cards that are above it, unless I get them for a steal). I feel like it saves me money in the long run. I don't have hard evidence to back that up, but I'm working on the same principle you've suggested: The more times over minimum that you're buying in order to finish a set, the less likely you'll be to get your money back on the other end. At the same time, if you're putting together a rare/obscure/really old set, placeholders become more of a consideration just because the overall inventory is much more limited. Still, I'd hold out for what you want. Just buy it right the first time (unless, again, you get it cheap as part of a lot).
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:58 am

[img]Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay? Unseem10[/img]
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:38 am

Being a former set builder I always used place holders. I would rather have a complete set that needs upgrading than not have the set at all.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:55 am

I say "nay" just because of the expense involved. Better to just wait for your card.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Your thoughts on "placeholder" cards? Yea or nay? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by seablaster Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:17 am

Thank you for sharing the images Peter. I think your feeling is correct. The only mangled cards I have in my collection are Zeenuts. Aside from that, I'm not fond of vertical creasing or creasing through the subject's face. All of those E94s exhibit that except the Tommy Leach. The rounding of the corners detracts a bit but I like it. I guess if the upgrade didn't break the bank, I would upgrade as well.

I hope you're right Jamie. I passed on a OJ Nicol and Reilly on eBay that was pretty sweaty, and I hadn't seen one before or since. You know my Whitney turned into a placeholder after I saw yours damn it. Smile
seablaster
seablaster
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:09 am

nay. I wouldn't want to own a card that I wanted to get rid of.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:39 pm

seablaster wrote:

I hope you're right Jamie. I passed on a OJ Nicol and Reilly on eBay that was pretty sweaty, and I hadn't seen one before or since. You know my Whitney turned into a placeholder after I saw yours damn it. Smile

Thanks for the compliment on the card, and good luck with your Nicol and Reilly search. You will need to look both high and low to find one. (horrible pun Embarassed )
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down