Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven?

+2
bowlingshoeguy
Potomac Yank
6 posters

Go down

What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? Empty What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven?

Post by Potomac Yank Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:11 pm

I don't know if the results were inadvertent, or by design, but eBay has created a Reprint Haven, and it's not only growing, but doing well.

The growing Bogus Pushers are making money on their created cardboard, and eBay is getting their cut. ..... All is good in Reprint Haven!

That is: All is good in Reprint Haven ... Except for Collectors and Investors!

Those Reprints, and we are now talking about reprints from every conceivable set ever created, will come back to haunt.

Sure, we can say that a knowledgeable collector will be able to tell the difference.
We can say that, but how many times has something slipped by for whatever reason, ... you can count me in on that ... and graders, are primarily graders, not authenticators.

For whatever the reason the Bogus cardboard is being bought for ... they will come back to haunt.

What are your thoughts?

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? Empty Re: What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven?

Post by bowlingshoeguy Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:15 pm

Nothing good can come of this, and until Ebay requires "reprint" to be added to the title or they have there own catagory this will continue to plague the industry. Way to many non- knowledgable people out there buying.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? Empty Re: What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven?

Post by Gary! Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:39 pm

I don't think anything can be done to curb this, short of people only buying authenticated cards. Ebay will never require "reprint" to be added because they will never have the resources to monitor that. And there are hundreds of reprints being sold on Ebay at any given time by people who wouldn't even know to put "reprint" in the title because they truly believe they found a gem at a garage sale or flea market.
Gary!
Gary!
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by onlychild Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:45 pm

I think some may find their way into doctored slabs w/doctored flips.

That's the direction I think our hobby will be going. Problem is that the top grading companies know about it and are not adding any additonal security measures...simply ignoring it.
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.AlteredCards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:26 pm

I believe that graders are also capable, conscientious, effective authenticators. I do not recall hearing of a major grading company ever making a mistake regarding the authenticity of a card.

Yes, they sometimes allow altered authentic cards to slip by. And yes, they have been known to employ dubious terminology, such as "? Authenticity", when there was no question at all about the card being phony.

As a matter of fact, the only thing which they seem to always get right is card authenticity, imo. Maybe Im wrong. If so, I'm sure to hear about it real soon. Smile
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? Empty Hello Gil

Post by Potomac Yank Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:05 am

I thought some one would have chimed in with one by now, so let me just mention the 2001 east coast show slip up, known as the Rosen/SGC/Keith Olbermann fiasco of a badly doctored Doyle error card.

Gil, you are right, graders are capable, and conscientious, but they are primarily graders.
Not all of them, are in the Kevin Saucier class.
Now back to the video tape about Reprint Haven. ... What are your thoughts?

Joe P.

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? Empty Check them out, and Have your pick

Post by Potomac Yank Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:34 pm

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:01 pm

Joe P.:
The first cut in the assessment of a card is --> is it real? This is what the grading companies are good at.
The next cut in this assessment is --> is it altered? This is what Kevin Saucier is good at.
And the next cut is ---> what grade does it deserve. I have not found anyone other than myself capable of making that determination for me.
And the final cut is ---> what is it worth. I have not found anyone other than myself capable of making that determination for me.

As far as Reprint Haven, the market is already flooded from Fritsch, Dover and a host of other sources. A collector must just bolster his resources and recognize that he is the last line of defense for the legitimacy of his collection. The grading companies are reliable, but some important cards come raw.

It is a difficult responsibility to shoulder, but it is the responsibility of each of us individually, and jointly. The best tutorial on this subject is shown below. Our forum contains the best tutorial on alteration detection. Learning both of these subjects requires effort. As questions arise, please do not hesitate to ask me, and I can refer you to knowledgable parties where mine is lacking. Good luck.

http://cycleback.com/baseballcards/twentyone.html
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by wonkaticket Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:54 am

Gil;

Yeah nothing gets past those grading experts in the field of grading and authentication… Embarassed

What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? 1895Shindle

My Mayo Anson must have the coupon attached like a Zeenut, remind me to ask for more money when I sell him... Wink

What are your thoughts about Reprint Haven? Honusheiniewagnerpsa

Crap..all this time I have been sweating this Wagner card for my T206 set, and I've had him all along...come to think of it I have like 12..I'm RICH...So long suckers!!!! bananarama

Gil I think what Joe is trying to say is although yes there are reprints out there these aged reprints will turn up to be trouble down the road, even as easy as they are to spot to veteran collectors. These particular reprints are made with the sole purpose of passing as genuine not as an inexpensive record or copy for collectors to enjoy which for a long time was the venue for reprints. Also as the grading companies business grows more mistakes will slip through as already displayed above, it’s the nature of the beast. While nice in theory that collectors should educate themselves to the pitfalls of collecting (I agree), the unfortunate thing is as new blood comes to the hobby they will become more dependent on third party opinions and if these folks buy these mistakes issues will arise. This can have an adverse effect on the hobby and newcomers views of our little pastime (or waste of money and time as my wife calls it).

Also for the record I don’t think Joe will be needing any tutorial support as a collector, I’m very aware of Joe and his collecting background at this point I’m pretty sure he’s got a firm grasp on card authentication. But good for looking out I’m sure he appreciates it.

One final note yes PSA and SGC have slabbed reprints, I know of at least 2 fake M101 Ruth’s, 1 altered Magie and a few Famous and Barr backed cards that have been put in plastic purgatory from their reprint heaven keeping in spirit with the thread.

Cheers,

John
wonkaticket
wonkaticket
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

http://imageevent.com/piojohn3/collection

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:28 pm

If this is NY Joe P.
I guess you got me. flaglol congrats
But really, I've got to plead "entrapment" angry
Whats all of this shuck n' jive about confusion between the terms Authentication & Alteration ?
lol!

And John, I can not view your pictures yet. Im on my "little red x" only machine right now. But if you have fake cards which are holdered as real, I'd be surprised. I'm sure that graded doctored cards are not uncommon - ask Kevin.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:16 pm

Yes John,
There are numerous examples of grading companies making gross errors in grading a card, and PSA has particularly distinguished itself by demonstrating the ability to ignore the player depicted on a card, the caption, and sometimes both; in its quest to grade the card which they imagine that they are holding.

And further, if a mistake can happen, it certainly will. But making a mistake is not the problem, if the company makes good on its errors. And respectible grading companies have a history of making good on their errors. So, a novice and an advanced collector can feel secure about the authenticity of a graded card. However, I do not feel secure about the identification, grade, nor originality of any card which I do not inspect myself. But truthfully, originality is not typically as much an issue with the grade of cards which I obtain as much as it could be for those more highly graded. However, pencil erasing, soaking to remove staining and other "cleanings" are not uncommon.

As far as more and more sophisticated reprints: I am of the opinion that a good scanner or digital camera coupled with one of those $850,000. Fuji Drug Store Processing units can create reprints as good as, and in many cases: better than any commercial supplier. So, it is already a lost battle on a "stop the reprints" front.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down