Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature?

+3
sabrjay
cccc
seablaster
7 posters

Go down

So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? Empty So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature?

Post by seablaster Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:18 pm

So I'm flying domestic again yuck and while flipping through the SkyMall catalog I encounter Jeremy Lin autographed items.
They had available autographed basketballs for $499.99 procured from Steiner Sports:

So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? Jeremy_Lin_Autographed_NBA_I_O_Basketball_-_New_York_Knicks_Memorabilia

I couldn't believe how trite his signature was. I know modern athletes sign their names thousands of times, but the vast majority I've seen aren't even close to being legible. I shouldn't be throwing stones because my signature is horrendous, but I sign my name quite often and no one is paying $499.99 for it.

I have a few signed prewar cards, but I don't delve into that area too frequently. The player's signature I always admired was Lou Gehrig:

So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? 2010dec21_7l

His handwrighting style appears fluid with an understated level of sophistication to it. I also like how he wrote his capital Gs in a different fashion than the way we were traditionally taught while learning cursive penmanship.

Thoughts?
seablaster
seablaster
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? Empty Re: So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature?

Post by cccc Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:59 pm

for modern i'd say mariano rivera. someone also turned me onto johan santana. they got pretty sigs. for me i probably like teemu selanne the best. he has a ghost signer out there (his brother) that psa/dna and jsa will pass but his real one is kinda cool.

bob (hockey card king!)

So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? Santana2006cyal
So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? RiveraAU
So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? !BvqOVyw!mk~%24(KGrHqUOKjEEvVt0No5DBMFc%2Bp3lQQ~~_3
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? Empty Re: So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature?

Post by sabrjay Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:14 pm

Best signature ever, Richard Petty

So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? 2593
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:21 pm

Lou Gehrig's is timeless. He gets my vote.

Lebron developed a pretty cool one not to long ago and would probably be up there with Lin. I don't have an example and am to lazy to find one.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:17 pm

sabrjay wrote:Best signature ever, Richard Petty

So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? 2593

The REAL King (Sorry Felix)!!! Hell yes! Petty is SOOO generous with his time with the fans. He may have more autos than Feller.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by hanksta Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:49 pm

Harmon Killebrew, always a really easy signature to read.

I remember a story about him talking to the new Twins players about making your signature something that can be read, that probably why Santana looks so nice.
hanksta
hanksta
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.millcitycards.com

Back to top Go down

So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? Empty signatures...

Post by seablaster Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:09 am

Richard Petty definitely gets an "A" for effort with that signature. I give him a lot of credit. I can't say I had ever seen it previously.

I was flipping through the Hunt auction catalog and it had a portion of Harmon Killebrew's estate in there with many signed items. He went so far as to add the entirety of his middle name and also the junior suffix. It seemed like a lot of stuff to get to fit nicely in the sweet spot but it was completely legible.

Quan, I have an autographed Brad Richards card for you if you're at all interested. Just drop me a PM with your address if you want it. I have an old Beckett with Teemu Selanne on the cover around here somewhere. I think he was with the Jets then. How time flies.
seablaster
seablaster
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:43 am

The Petty sig is too busy. The Gerhig is too flat; a bit bland for my taste. I like the Santana best of those displayed. I also think Babe Ruth had a great sig, very simple, yet kind of bouyant, it shows an exuberance, like his personality.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100So I ask, what athlete has the coolest signature? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down