Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Open Letter to the Forum-(also posted on N54)

5 posters

Go down

An Open Letter to the Forum-(also posted on N54) Empty An Open Letter to the Forum-(also posted on N54)

Post by browncow75 Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:00 pm

Just a note to let everyone know that I am officially giving up the vintage card hobby. Ive gotten tired of all the wealthy "inverstor" collectors bitching. Obviously this isnt a "little man's" hobby anymore. People have become so focused on the art of the deal, that they no longer take into consideration that there are more important things out there than expensive pieces of cardboard. When things come up for people in the real world, and they have to choose between helping family, or they have situations come up that are beyond their control, most poeple would put those things in the forefront of their attention.
Yes, I admit, I have gotten myself into situations that were avoidable, and I am sorry that I inconvenienced people in that manner. HOWEVER, when situations have arisen that I explain to individuals are temporary, I still get the same flack. As ot seems like I am repeatedly finding myself in these financial binds, I am no longer going to be a part of the hobby in any capacity. The vast majority of personalities Ive seen lately concern me as to where the future of the hobby may be headed. I just dont have the patience or the "business sense" to handle it anymore.
As I said, MANY of you will be celebrating this decision, and I am happy for you. As for the several decent, well meaning people Ive come to consider friends, good luck, and I hope your collections flourish. As for me, I am just too small of a fish in too big of a pond. I know I wont be missed by many (if any) but I just had to post this before I ride off into the sunset. Please proceed to flame at will.

Brandon Brown
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
An Open Letter to the Forum-(also posted on N54) Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100An Open Letter to the Forum-(also posted on N54) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

An Open Letter to the Forum-(also posted on N54) Empty Re: An Open Letter to the Forum-(also posted on N54)

Post by jbonie Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:45 pm

Sounds good, Brandon. I wish you luck in your future endeavors.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
An Open Letter to the Forum-(also posted on N54) Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100An Open Letter to the Forum-(also posted on N54) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

An Open Letter to the Forum-(also posted on N54) Empty Re: An Open Letter to the Forum-(also posted on N54)

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Brandon, i think you are going at this the wrong way. If it has to do with the B/S/T thing then that's not a reason to just give up collecting. Most, if not all of the collectors here are small fish. I know i can't afford certain cards i would love to have so i buy cards for $12 like i won on ebay last night and i'm totally happy with it.
We know from your threads that you are indecisive about what to collect and want to have a nice collection. Sometimes 20-25 beater cards are just as good as 20-25 mint cards. It's all in what "YOU" like, not the big fish...
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
An Open Letter to the Forum-(also posted on N54) Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100An Open Letter to the Forum-(also posted on N54) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:06 pm

Like Mark said, the vast majority of this hobby is populated by small fish. Your biggest problem seems to be that since you seem to be fairly new to the hobby that you want to get in on everything. In 1980 when Lee and I got in, it was possible because things were very cheap back then. Today, you need a very disciplined and focused approach to collecting and understand what you limitations are.

When I returned to the hobby in 2002 I was making less than $20k/year yet I was able to land an m101-5 Thorpe and rebuild a decent little collection. The key is educating yourself. Granted, I had the benefit of 20 years of collecting to help me find those hidden nuggets other missed, but that's what a forum like this is for, to help educate people. You can learn in a year on here what took me and others 20 or more years to learn. I order to learn back in the 80s you had to sit down face to face with other collectors.

A break from the hobby might be good, but don't leave for good. Reassess your hobby goals and priorities and then jump back in when you've got your focus.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
An Open Letter to the Forum-(also posted on N54) Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100An Open Letter to the Forum-(also posted on N54) Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:54 pm

Couldn't agree more with Mark and Jay. My collection is small, but I find most people in the hobby are not judged on the size of their collection. Certainy not on an open forum such as this. Do not allow limited means to limit your goals. With some focus and patience a very nice collection can be assembled reasonably.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
An Open Letter to the Forum-(also posted on N54) Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100An Open Letter to the Forum-(also posted on N54) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:52 pm

My advice would be to save up and make sure you have an emergency fund of considerable money before you start collecting again. But hold onto your Dan Brouthers card if you still have it. Good luck to you, Brandon.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by browncow75 Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:59 pm

Hey Guys,
I have realized that my problems holding up my end of deals is MY problem, not anyone elses. I just needed to vent. My statements werent so much a comment on the state of the hobby, or my lack of a great collection, even though it may come off that way. What I was referring to, in my own special way, is that I let myself get in over my head too much, mainly because of a competitive personality. I let it override my common sense. I try to wheel and deal, and it turns into a bad situation in a hurry. To anyone and everyone I have made a deal with that I didnt come through on, I sincerly apologise. I am going to step out of "collecting" for a while and see if I cant MAKE myself stick to one facet of the hobby. I know its kind of like an addiction for me, so it may take a while to get things under control. Take care.
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down