Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Guy (New Scans Posted)

+5
ullmandds
Bicem
cccc
jbonie
Theo_450
9 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

New Guy (New Scans Posted) Empty New Guy (New Scans Posted)

Post by Theo_450 Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:38 am

I spent quite a bit of time reading posts on this forum before I decided to join. It seems like some good folks on here, and tons of good info, so I thought I would give it a shot.

I started collecting 30 years ago. But have not really done anything with the hobby in a long time. I've just been sitting on my cards. I've got a mixed bag of cards from 3 timeframes. Some are too new to have any $$ value, some are old, and some are really old.

I'm thinking of selling cards, and I need advice.
I have some questions for you guys. (Please tolerate the NOOB, and feel free to let me know if/when I am out of line.)
I am going to split up questions so they are not annoyingly all in the same thread.

Thanks!

Last edited by Theo_450 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update)
Theo_450
Theo_450
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
New Guy (New Scans Posted) Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100New Guy (New Scans Posted) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

New Guy (New Scans Posted) Empty Re: New Guy (New Scans Posted)

Post by jbonie Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:45 am

Welcome to the board. What cards do you have that you are thinking of selling?
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
New Guy (New Scans Posted) Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100New Guy (New Scans Posted) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:50 am

post all the questions, we'll answer them all to the best of our abilities.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
New Guy (New Scans Posted) Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100New Guy (New Scans Posted) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Theo_450 Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:53 am

jbonie wrote:Welcome to the board. What cards do you have that you are thinking of selling?

I have quite a few pre WWII (T's and E's), and alot of 1950's (Topps).
Theo_450
Theo_450
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
New Guy (New Scans Posted) Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100New Guy (New Scans Posted) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Theo_450 Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:54 am

cccc wrote:post all the questions, we'll answer them all to the best of our abilities.

Thanks guys! Glad to be here. bananarama
Theo_450
Theo_450
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:56 am

Theo_450 wrote:
jbonie wrote:Welcome to the board. What cards do you have that you are thinking of selling?

Can you be a bit more specific?
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
New Guy (New Scans Posted) Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100New Guy (New Scans Posted) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Theo_450 Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:07 am

jbonie wrote:
Theo_450 wrote:

Can you be a bit more specific?

Sure. +100, 1915 Cracker Jacks, a few 1914's, Cobb, Plank, Jackson, Chance, Wagner, LaJoie etc.
+100, T-206's, E-93's and E-96's (no Honus Rolling Eyes ), Cobb, Plank, Chance, LaJoie etc.
A few E-102 and E-90-1
Not sure how many late 1950's era topps, maybe 300?

Last edited by Theo_450 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)
Theo_450
Theo_450
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:13 am

I would go with Sterling Sports Auctions. Lee has a low consignment fee/buyer's premium, he's right here on this board, super-reliable - I received payment lightning-fast. I give Lee my highest recommendation, and he is popular with bidders.

The auctions happen monthly so you can turn over your cards fast. Because of the large quantities of each type, you might want to spread it out over of a few auctions. But I will let you discuss that with Lee if you take the recommendation.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Theo_450 Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:21 am

jbonie wrote:I would go with Sterling Sports Auctions. Lee has a low consignment fee/buyer's premium, he's right here on this board, super-reliable - I received payment lightning-fast. I give Lee my highest recommendation, and he is popular with bidders.

The auctions happen monthly so you can turn over your cards fast. Because of the large quantities of each type, you might want to spread it out over of a few auctions. But I will let you discuss that with Lee if you take the recommendation.

I appreciate it! I will check Lee out, Thanks for putting up with the Noob!
Theo_450
Theo_450
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:26 am

also a very good Auction House...

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/

Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
New Guy (New Scans Posted) Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100New Guy (New Scans Posted) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Theo_450 Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:38 am

Thanks for the reccomendation Bicem, I'll check them out too.
Theo_450
Theo_450
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:47 am

LOTG also has a very good reputation.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:53 am

nevermind - post was assuming the cards were in better condition.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:08 pm

would love to see some images...sounds like you have a pretty sweet collection!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
New Guy (New Scans Posted) Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100New Guy (New Scans Posted) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:25 pm

I should say that Sterling specializes in cards in the sub-$1000 range, that is their niche. Not to say you couldn't consign everything to Sterling and do well, but most collectors would consign large money cards like a CJ Jackson to a larger auction house like Goodwin, REA, or Heritage.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Theo_450 Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:53 am

I am not sure how to post images. I don't do photobook or anything on line. Any suggestions?
Theo_450
Theo_450
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:57 am

Copied from a Brandon post:

1. If you have it stored on your computer, click on the little square (#6 in the line above the text here) that says *host an image"
2. Click browse
3. Find it on your comp. and double click the
4. click on it, and hit open (it will put the location in the box next to browse for you)
5. Click "Host It"
6. Copy the link in the box below "image:" that says (right click and use "copy shortcut".
7. Paste the link into your post. Click preview to see that it appears as you want it.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:00 am

email it to me i can post it, quan277@gmail.com
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
New Guy (New Scans Posted) Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100New Guy (New Scans Posted) Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Theo_450 Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:38 am

New Guy (New Scans Posted) Front12
New Guy (New Scans Posted) Back10
Thanks for the tips, works good. I never noticed the crease on the Jackson in the upper right till I scanned it. Bummer. yuck
Theo_450
Theo_450
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:45 am

holy hell those are very nice cards. the cobb and jackson is about 10-15k right there.

get the cracker jacks graded for sure...as for the others i don't think you'd get much more graded or raw. (if it's cheap enough i would get them graded, anything $5 or less per)
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:49 am

i would love to see the rest! scanning might take too long maybe a few camera phone photos. are these cards in binders or card savers/toploaders? you obviously know how to take care of them
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Theo_450 Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:00 am

cccc wrote:holy hell those are very nice cards. the cobb and jackson is about 10-15k right there.

get the cracker jacks graded for sure...as for the others i don't think you'd get much more graded or raw. (if it's cheap enough i would get them graded, anything $5 or less per)

Thanks cccc, do they charge more to grade more valuable cards, I guess, I mean, how much more do they charge?

Next question is who should "They" be? Which card grader should I choose?
Theo_450
Theo_450
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:09 am

Quan is right, those are really expensive cards, the Cobb and Jackson. As for the others, not so much, but they are still worth something, there will be bidders.

I would say the Cobb is VG and the Jackson maybe G-VG, depending on the crease. I'm guessing 5-7k for the Jackson and 4-5k for the Cobb, but who knows come auction time?

Either PSA or SGC will suffice, most prefer SGC, as do I, though I will admit that the red/white color combo on the CJ's match the PSA label better. But PSA has a really long turnover time.

Anyways, you don't need to get them graded yourself, you just send them to whichever auctioneer that you choose and have him do it for you. The companies will charge $300-400/card because they are such high value cards.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Theo_450 Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:14 am

cccc wrote:i would love to see the rest! scanning might take too long maybe a few camera phone photos. are these cards in binders or card savers/toploaders? you obviously know how to take care of them

It kind of made me queasy to take them out to scan them. sweat

They are in binders and top loader card holders that we bought in 1982. My old man pulled them out of the closet from a shoebox. They had rubberbands around them. Thankfully the rubber bands were from 1930, and did not cut into the cards.

There are alot of cruddy photos like these, here are a few.
New Guy (New Scans Posted) Cards_10
New Guy (New Scans Posted) Cards_11
New Guy (New Scans Posted) Cards_12
New Guy (New Scans Posted) Cards_13
New Guy (New Scans Posted) Cards_14
New Guy (New Scans Posted) Cards_15
Theo_450
Theo_450
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:25 am

Nice Cristy Matthewson!
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next