Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Referencing population reports in auctions.

5 posters

Go down

Referencing population reports in auctions. Empty Referencing population reports in auctions.

Post by scott elkins Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:42 pm

With all the multitudes of listings currently on eBay, I have noticed that some eBayers are really using pop. reports to hype their cards. Personally, I believe these reports can be misleading, b/c some cards simply are not sent in to be graded as much as others due to their lack of value or worth. Also, I noticed on seller in particular referencing these reports with some T206 tough backs. One definitely cannot use a pop. report to be accurate in this situation b/c PSA only within the last year or so started listing T206 backs on the PSA label.

My point is that there are still so many rare cards out there that are not graded (ie: Mark M.'s collection) that the pop. reports can be a little misleading - leading newer collectors to think there are actually only 5 known V100 Hornsby cards in existence. Also, although things are starting to change and more lower end and lower valued cards are being slabbed, in the early days of grading, mostly the higher dollar cards (Cobb, Wagner, Jackson, etc.) and high end cards (7's, 8's and higher) were being graded.

What are others' thoughts when they see a pop. report being taken out of context to hype cards in an auction?

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Referencing population reports in auctions. Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Referencing population reports in auctions. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Referencing population reports in auctions. Empty Re: Referencing population reports in auctions.

Post by sabrjay Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:53 pm

I just snicker when I see a pop report. They pretty much worthless since cards that are cracked out and resubmitted or crossed over to another company are not removed from the report. Until such time that cards removed from report when called for, the pop reports are worthless.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Referencing population reports in auctions. Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Referencing population reports in auctions. Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Referencing population reports in auctions. Empty Re: Referencing population reports in auctions.

Post by ItsOnlyGil Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:43 pm

Population reports, book values, appreciation histories, etc are certainly misleading.
But this is eBay. "Misleading" is the little league, fraud is rampant.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Referencing population reports in auctions. Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Referencing population reports in auctions. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Referencing population reports in auctions. Empty I do....

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:49 pm

show the pop report sometimes in my ebay listing, not to decieve but just show what PSA has on their web site. I would not have to do that if it were free but since they charge to see it i figure i just let buyers know what it is. I think most people know the pop report is not 100% accurate.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Referencing population reports in auctions. Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Referencing population reports in auctions. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:56 am

I before E except after C Mark. I do that all of the time myself. Pop reports are a joke. Besides Mark and myself and about 2 dozen other old timers that wouldn't dare put a card in a slab, there are probably hundreds of other gents who we do not know of that have unslabbed cards. I enjoyed handling all 14 1894 Alpha Photo Engraving Orioles as I know that no one else in my lifetime ever will again. My Washington Times cards, I take out and stack and go through them like a kid opening a pack of new baseball cards. Sorry, 3rd party grading is a joke in my eyes and Pop reports are a bigger joke.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Referencing population reports in auctions. Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Referencing population reports in auctions. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Referencing population reports in auctions. Empty Dan, you know...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:21 am

its weird.....i use firefox Mozilla for my browser and i have this thing where if i type in a word that is not correcly spelled then a red line shows up under the wrong spelled word. For some reason on Full count it does not do that. I type fast and sometimes i mess a word up. Razz

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Referencing population reports in auctions. Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Referencing population reports in auctions. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down