Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCP Auctions Preview Is Up

+11
calvindog
pro9
sabrjay
Sixtofan
terjung
rman444
yawie99
crazylocomerk
Comisky
fisherboy7
jbonie
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Empty SCP Auctions Preview Is Up

Post by jbonie Sat May 22, 2010 4:03 am

The most exciting of which is all the T216 MINOS, including a Wagner.

http://www.scpauctionsite.com/catalog.aspx
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Empty Re: SCP Auctions Preview Is Up

Post by fisherboy7 Sun May 23, 2010 2:57 pm

Nice selection from SCP, some nice type material there. I especially like how they've grouped the lots so that even the minnows like me have a chance!
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Empty T216's

Post by Comisky Sun May 23, 2010 7:03 pm

Those T216's are really nice and something you don't see everyday. How do Mino's rank of the three different T216 backs? Also, how much do you think the Wagner will go for?

Jeff
Comisky
Comisky
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:37 am

Comisky wrote:Those T216's are really nice and something you don't see everyday. How do Mino's rank of the three different T216 backs? Also, how much do you think the Wagner will go for?

Jeff

Sorry for the late reply to this post, but I wanted to wait until the auction was over to post a response since I am working on a T216 front subject set. T216 MINO's are very tough. Especially HOFers. You don't see those come up for sale very often. As far as back scarcity goes, Kottons are the easiest.....if there is such a thing.

With Kottons, Type 3 (thin card stock, with just "NEVER GO OUT" on the back and no factory designation) are the toughest of the Kotton backs. Type 1's and 2's both have glossy fronts and each one has a different slogan. Type 1 Kottons say "Kotton Tobacco Mild and Sweet, Why you should use it, 1st Made in New Orleans, 2nd Made By Union Labor, 3rd Has No Equal". Type 2 Kottons say "Kotton Cigarettes Never Go Out Extra Mild Not in a Trust". Type 1's and 2's are on thicker card stock and have glossy fronts. Usually when you see a high grade Kotton, it will be a type 1 or 2.

MINO's are about 5x as tough as as Kottons. There are usually only a few examples for each subject. The Danny Murphy is the easiest subject to find with a MINO back. I know of at least 4 that exist. I've never seen a Cobb (standing) with a MINO back, but I have seen a Cobb batting with this back. The Wagner went for a very fair price in my opinion. I was actually expecting that card to reach 5K or more. Someone got a great deal.

Virginia Extra's are the toughest of the T216 backs. They are about 20x tougher then Kottons. The rumor is that all the ones out there came from the same album that washed ashore after a major hurricane and that's why you won't see one higher then an SGC 20....possibly a 30. The Bender that was in SCP tonight (Lot #61) is the first one that I know of that didn't come from this album find. All the MINO's, Kottons, and the VE came from a the same find. All were found in a jar and that's what was auctioned off. Pretty cool, and that's why they survived. Awesome find and we won't see anything like that again.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:49 am

One more thing I'd like to add. Many of the MINO lots had very strong prices. I think the days of picking these up at decent prices is over. Seeing the Murphy fetch $1531 before BP was crazy. The Dots Miller at $1242 (before BP) for a PSA 2 was also much higher then I thought it would go for. The McGraw at $1531 (before BP) was what I thought it could go for. The Chase went for a crazy price as I'm sure a couple collectors were going head to head on this one. I've seen one other Chase (portrait) but it has a Kotton back and belongs to Steve Yawitz. The Plank was a reasonable ending price, and I thought it would fetch more. The PSA 3 Speaker MINO went for very reasonable as did the PSA 1 Wagner. Someone will be very happy with those cards. They were beauties for the grades.

As I'm writing this the lot of 7 MINOs (Lot #59) is still going. Currently at $8531. I stated that I thought this lot would go between 7-10K.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:18 am

I was eyeing this but chose not to bid:

http://www.scpauctionsite.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=10115&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=9&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=25&category=1

I think it's a gorgeous ball, and it went for what would have been my max bid. Someone got a real deal on that one.

Thanks, Eric, for all the info on the T216's... very interesting! Smile
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:17 am

jbonie wrote:

Thanks, Eric, for all the info on the T216's... very interesting! Smile

No problem Jamie, and I'm glad I could share it. I know very little about a lot of T and E cards, but T216's are my collecting life, and I feel very comfortable with what I know about them. I sold off every one of my type cards and all my E94's this year to fund some home renovations and to concentrate just on T216's. So I guess now I'm a set collector.....which isn't so bad! Might as well know everything I can about this one set.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by yawie99 Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:44 am

I really wanted one of those Minos. SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Icon_sad
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/yawie99

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:43 am

yawie99 wrote:I really wanted one of those Minos. SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Icon_sad

Steve, you didn't end up with one? I thought for sure you'd go after one of the HOFers. The one that comes immediately to mind is the PSA 3 Speaker. Then either the McGraw or the Plank since both present very well for PSA 1's. Sorry you couldn't land one.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by yawie99 Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:06 pm

I liked the Plank, but the Speaker was the one I really wanted, but it ended up closing while I was still thinking of what I could sell off to afford another bid. (I'll never keep the closing procedures of all these auctions straight.) Actually, I liked the 1.5 in the Mino lot almost as much as the 3, but that group really took off over the final few hours.
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:15 pm

That was a bit much for that final lot. Over 11K with BP. I think by that point all the others were off the board so there was some fighting to at least land something. Then again I could be completely wrong....which I probably am.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by rman444 Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:22 pm

I was the underbidder on the Plank and I was also going for the Speaker. I fell out of the running on the big lot at about half the final bid. I agree that the Wagner, Plank and Speaker all went for reasonable money compared to the others. However, even these prices were quite strong for the economy that we are sitting in today. The days of getting Mino's for anything reasonable are long gone, but I am also glad that they are finally earning the respect that they deserve.
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:43 pm

rman444 wrote:I was the underbidder on the Plank and I was also going for the Speaker. I fell out of the running on the big lot at about half the final bid. I agree that the Wagner, Plank and Speaker all went for reasonable money compared to the others. However, even these prices were quite strong for the economy that we are sitting in today. The days of getting Mino's for anything reasonable are long gone, but I am also glad that they are finally earning the respect that they deserve.

I was finally able to land a MINO HOFer myself. Mine is the Marquard from Lot #61. I now have 7 MINO's and 4 VE's.

I'll agree with you that it does seem like T216's overall as a set are starting to receive the respect they deserve. Prices for all backs have been strong over the last year or two, and each time one is auctioned off it seems to exceed the previous sale. You can't say that about too many cards out there today.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:21 pm

Awesome, Eric! Congrats!

I'm really glad to see that you got to add one of those MINOs to your collection... and a HOFer, no less! SCP Auctions Preview Is Up 182900
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:27 pm

terjung wrote:Awesome, Eric! Congrats!

I'm really glad to see that you got to add one of those MINOs to your collection... and a HOFer, no less! SCP Auctions Preview Is Up 182900

Thanks Brian! I also added a Virginia Extra HOFer (Bender), which is in really rough shape, but I'm still very happy with that card. I'll take what I can get with Virginia Extras!

I'll post them when I get them. It's been a busy month of T216's for me.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Empty t207s

Post by Sixtofan Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:21 pm

I picked up a few more, only need 5 to finish!

Sixtofan
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:37 pm

5 away from the t207 set is huge. Who do you need?
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Empty T207s

Post by Sixtofan Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:02 pm

The five, if anybody has one of these please let me know

Carrigan
Donlin
Donnelly
Lange
Ward Miller

Sixtofan
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:05 pm

uh, isn't that six? Smile

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:17 pm

You damn Canadians and your fancy math. SCP Auctions Preview Is Up 484960

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Empty Yep

Post by Sixtofan Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:34 pm

That is in fact six. I had the number 5 in my head as I thought I had won the Miller in SCP. When I checked the auction I was listed as the winner, only yesterday did I find out they had technical troubles and the auction wasn't actually closed at the time. So I guess I still need six SCP Auctions Preview Is Up 825340

Sixtofan
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by calvindog Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:31 am

1914 Mino Cigarettes T216

1911-16 Kotton Cigarettes T216

calvindog
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by yawie99 Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:48 am

Nice. I'm not sure if our paths have ever actually crossed, yet I knew that Mino Chase would end up with you..
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:00 am

The Kotton Chase presents very well.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:15 am

Nice Jeff!
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100SCP Auctions Preview Is Up Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next