Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did auctions like this really used to happen?

+2
sabrjay
BigGuy219
6 posters

Go down

Did auctions like this really used to happen? Empty Did auctions like this really used to happen?

Post by BigGuy219 Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:29 am

I think I was born about ten years too late. So I'm up googling cards and getting past auction reports and I came across this...

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=11557

...and immediately I'm floored.

Why would any auctioneer take 3 huge cards like this and group them in one lot?

Second, how did people get deals like that? Graded and sold individually in today's market aren't those all 5-figure cards if they were accurately described? Heck, on a good day, wouldn't they sell for close to 10 times that?

I should have went to bed! frustrated
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Did auctions like this really used to happen? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Did auctions like this really used to happen? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Did auctions like this really used to happen? Empty Re: Did auctions like this really used to happen?

Post by sabrjay Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:21 pm

That is probably the same auction where the near master set
(148 different cards) of e107s went for $30k. I couldn't talk the group I with bidding on it to keep going.

Prices are all relative to what becomes hot a trendy. At that time, no one but maybe Scott Brocklman and one or two other people gave a rats ass about w600s. 10 years form now we look back on today's auctions and wonder how we let such good deals get away from what ever will be hot and trendy then.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Did auctions like this really used to happen? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Did auctions like this really used to happen? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Did auctions like this really used to happen? Empty Re: Did auctions like this really used to happen?

Post by cccc Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:29 pm

yea jay is right. w600 was relatively unknown back then when the message boards and disseminating information was still young. i remember at '03 and '04 nat'l i was still able to pick up caramels for way cheap from tik n tik etc because they still didn't know much about them and were underpricing. also this was before psa and sgc got into grading these. the (more plentiful) t3s got a big price boost after grading came about. the young and especially matty street clothes would be at least 20-30k graded today.

edit: wow how many "still" can i fit into one paragraph? still-fest
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Did auctions like this really used to happen? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Did auctions like this really used to happen? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:38 pm

Damn, that Matty street clothes is a sweet card . How do you think it would grade out with that brown-ish staining? Have W600's really skyrocketed to the point that it's a 20-30k card? my oh my Shocked
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Did auctions like this really used to happen? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Did auctions like this really used to happen? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:53 pm

fisherboy7 wrote:Have W600's really skyrocketed to the point that it's a 20-30k card? my oh my Shocked

Yes. The last Matty street clothes that I saw auctioned went for $35k in REA 2010.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2010/126.html
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Did auctions like this really used to happen? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Did auctions like this really used to happen? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:10 pm

i remember 4-5 years back(?) rea had a run of nice raw EX-NRMT with the original glassine envelopes of dela, matty, wagner, etc that ended between 5k-10k+. that was probably the last time these nice cards were affordable. i remember buying a bender and lajoie VG to VG/EX for $500-$1000. not really great deals compared to the oldtimers but that's my "back in my day" moment.

edit: ben i would guess the matty is still at least EX 5 with the stains. my delahanty was a little worse and got a 4. these are BIG cards so a corner wear and stain would get noticed, shrink them down in size and they would match up well with ts/es grading standards.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Did auctions like this really used to happen? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Did auctions like this really used to happen? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:13 pm

it's fun to look at old auction catalogs to see prices realized back in the good old days!!!!!

I wish I had more "balls" back in the day...and wasn't so "frugal" or I could have some crazy cards today!!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Did auctions like this really used to happen? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Did auctions like this really used to happen? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:14 pm

How about this t206 plank from the very same auction? Not a bad deal huh?

LINK

EDIT: After going through the whole auction from '01, all I can say is that it was absolutely awesome (not to mention chalk full of deals, although I guess prices are relative).
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Did auctions like this really used to happen? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Did auctions like this really used to happen? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:21 pm

great plank!!! much nicer than the 29K one Vezzina is selling...the lionel carter one.
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Did auctions like this really used to happen? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Did auctions like this really used to happen? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:51 am

that plank reminds me of julie's plank, one of my big hobby's regrets not being able to put together money for that plank (it was relatively cheap). were you a part of that sale ben?

remember when scott had MULTIPLE nice planks for sale before he went all commercial with the auctions?
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:22 am

There's a very good chance that Plank actually could have been Julie's. Looks alot like it. Hers was a PSA 2, which she cracked out and kept for not that long before selling raw....for less than what she paid...and no, I had nothing to do with the sale, I would have definitely advised her to price it higher.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down