Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The National

+5
ValKehl
JohnnyHarmonica
BigGuy219
sabrjay
pro9
9 posters

Go down

The National Empty The National

Post by pro9 Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:55 am

Heard a rumor today that the 2012 National will not be held in Cleveland as previously scheduled. Not sure of all the details, but an arrangement was made to get the Cleveland convention center to cancel the contract.
The new plan will be 2011 Chicago (as scheduled) then 2012 in Baltimore.
Can anybody confirm this change?

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
The National Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100The National Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

The National Empty Re: The National

Post by sabrjay Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:10 am

As long as its still in Chicago next year, that is all I care about.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
The National Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100The National Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:44 pm

I would love to have it back in Baltimore. I hope that's the case.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
The National Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100The National Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyHarmonica Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:24 pm

I hope it's true !! Baltimore is the perfect venue.
JohnnyHarmonica
JohnnyHarmonica
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ValKehl Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:54 am

Sure do hope it is "Balmer," as I live just outside of Wash., DC!
Val

ValKehl
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:18 am

what's the difference between cleveland and baltimore? as a west-coaster i'm indifferent to either option...i hate long flights. i thought chicago was pretty cool. i remember having to fly into AC for one nat'l and having a layover in cincy and waking/staying up till 5am to catch the flight...no bueno.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
The National Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100The National Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:56 am

But Quan you got to hang out with me in AC. Smile

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
The National Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100The National Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:16 am

It's hard to please everyone on location. Seems like they try and use the middle of USA as a place to appease collectors. I am still wishing for a Boston or NYC venue but I doubt that will happen.
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyHarmonica Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:11 pm

cccc wrote:what's the difference between cleveland and baltimore?

I was wondering the same thing, but from what I have heard the Cleveland site is not surrounded by anything, where as the Baltimore convention center is in the middle of downtown, across the street from Camden Yards and only a few blocks from the Inner Harbor. It is nice to be able to just walk outside and be in the middle of it all. It seems many people are shocked by how well the Baltimore show went all around, but I think being so close to D.C,NY and Philly, even Boston not that far really helped as big pockets could drive in for a day or two. It sounds like a lot of dealers were complaining about Cleveland as well, not sure why but would be interested to find out.

edit to add- Mark I hope they do have a Boston National, not sure where they would have though with all the hotels in the city limits at 300 a night, same with NY, would have to be outside the city somewhere.

Last edited by JohnnyHarmonica on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)
JohnnyHarmonica
JohnnyHarmonica
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:18 pm

Yeah, JohnnyHarmonica...i was just being selfish since i could drive to Boston in 2 hours and make a day of it and drive back home and the cost would be just gas money.
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Jewish-collector Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:28 pm

I happen to be one of the few guys that likes the Cleveland National. Parking, although not free, is very easy. I don't have to mess with any parking garages, meters, etc,... Plus, I actually enjoy its downtown area with the music venue clubs, restaurants, and bars.

WOW !!! That would be very interesting if that rumor mentioned on this thread turns out to be true. I grew up in the Baltimore area and used to attend shows in and around Baltimore in the 1980's and 1990's. None of the shows were really that successful. Baltimore had never been a great sports card show city. This was, of course, before the inner harbor area was transformed to the downtown that it is today.

When I found out the National was coming to Baltimore last summer, I was delighted, but was very skeptical that it would be a success. I thought transportation issues, parking, etc,... was going to be problematic. I didn't think attendance would be that good. I am very happy to say that I was absolutely wrong. This National in Baltimore was a huge success. Period. The Baltimore Convention Center turned out to be a wonderful venue. There was actually additional space (another room in fact), to the left of the main entrance, for more booths. As mentioned earlier, the venue is very close to the Orioles ballpark as well as the inner harbor shops & restaurants. There is public transportation readily available and parking near the convention center, while a little expensive, is readily available. There are also enough activities for mom & the kids to do while dad is at the show. Some dealers (vintage thru shiny stuff) that I spoke to said their sales were "decent". Some said "good' and a few others said "great". I had a fantastic time !!! This was one of, if not the most enjoyable Nationals that I have ever attended. I'm glad that I was there Wed. thru Sat. It was really nice meeting/seeing many fellow collectors as well as meeting some other longtime hobby collectors at the show and at the dinners after the show.

See you at the 2011 National in Chicago !!! bananarama bananarama bananarama

Alan

Jewish-collector
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by browncow75 Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:31 am

For those of you planning to go to Chicago for '11, when do you make your hotel reservations? I live in St. Louis, and this will be my 1st ever Nat'l. I want to be sure that I get a room at the hotel that is connected to the Convention Center. Being in the wheelchair, Id like to do as little "in and out" of the car as possible. Any thoughts?
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
The National Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100The National Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down