Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WOW! PSA!! T206 Doyle NY Nat'l WOW!!

+6
sabrjay
oaks1912
onlychild
yawie99
Potomac Yank
r337man
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

WOW!  PSA!!   T206 Doyle NY Nat'l  WOW!! - Page 2 Empty Jim Rivera...........

Post by Potomac Yank Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:49 am

Hello Jim:

Before people start mixing up the characters in the play, let me give the cast members in their order of appearance.

In 1990, Dr Koos/Danny D. came into my life, and I dealt with it.
I wasn't just happy in getting my money back ... I also tried to get the dealers at the Texas national interested in getting him out of our Hobby/their business. ... You have seen the results of the ostrich affect.

Now here's the difference between my episode, and a decade later.

1. I have no idea who the seller/sellers at the Philly show is/were.
I do know that as far as the Rosen/SGC/KO Fiasco card ... It was NOT a Dr Koos creation ... whoever did it, was an amateur.
2. Alan was only interested in getting his money back, and a possible profit.

Jim, you're going to have to ask the buyers who they bought the Doyle's from ... No e-mails.

In my case, you know where the good one comes from, and who tried to get cute ... it's no big deal. Smile

Stay well,
Joe P.

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
WOW!  PSA!!   T206 Doyle NY Nat'l  WOW!! - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100WOW!  PSA!!   T206 Doyle NY Nat'l  WOW!! - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

WOW!  PSA!!   T206 Doyle NY Nat'l  WOW!! - Page 2 Empty Re: WOW! PSA!! T206 Doyle NY Nat'l WOW!!

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:24 pm

First-Thank you Joe.

Second-in 1989 at age 24 I got my first Ty Cobb card -it was the bat on T206. Hooked for life. I started going to shows and stores looking for 206s. Totaly clueless in 1990 but buying as much as I could afford and completely trusting everyone I met.
I discovered my first fake about 5 years into it and have been educating myself the best I can ever since.Until then I only looked for trimmed cards not fakes.
I missed Dr. Koos and the 1990 happenings but I will do my best to not let it happen to me or anyone else.

I will talk with Levi at the Philly show. I will also talk with Ted Z. and Dan M. and get as much info as I can.
These bad guys don't stay around for long but it is still good to know who they are because you never know when they will try again.
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
WOW!  PSA!!   T206 Doyle NY Nat'l  WOW!! - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100WOW!  PSA!!   T206 Doyle NY Nat'l  WOW!! - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

WOW!  PSA!!   T206 Doyle NY Nat'l  WOW!! - Page 2 Empty These bad guys don't stay around for long???

Post by Potomac Yank Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:01 pm

These bad guys don't stay around for long ... NOT TRUE!

The Bad Guys will stay around as long as you allow them too!
We have seen the results of the ostrich approach.

I was taught many, many moons ago, that if someone is trying to poison the well ... you Kick ass ... sweet talk doesn't work!

Joe P. as a collector, Mark Macrae as a collector/dealer, Lew Lipset, Larry Fritsch (RIP), Herman Kaufman, John Tisch ... tried to check the malignant growth of Danny D. in 1990.

I've come to the conclusion that cleaning up whatever's wrong with the hobby, will have to be taken care of by the collectors in the HOBBY/market.

Let's face it, our hobby is made up collectors, and investor/flippers.
However, it is predominantly investor/flippers, (which makes it interesting) but the mind sets differ from the collectors.
The collectors will get into the research of the cards, and sets ... see tons of them, handle them, smell them, compare them, get to know them.
Whereas the investor/flippers rely on the graders, and as we know, or are in the process of finding out ... graders are great with sides and corners, but authentication is NOT one of their strong points.

As a matter of FACT, there's no Uniformity amongs the graders!
Isn't that what they accused the old dealers of, and brought on the graders??? Laughing

No Jim, the bad guys are not going to pack up, and go away.
It's up to the smaller band of collectors to STAND and FIGHT.
If they can reach out to the other side of the aisle, of investor/flippers, and ostrich dealers Smile ..... Yes We Can!

Keep Digging, and keep learning.
Joe P.

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
WOW!  PSA!!   T206 Doyle NY Nat'l  WOW!! - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100WOW!  PSA!!   T206 Doyle NY Nat'l  WOW!! - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

WOW!  PSA!!   T206 Doyle NY Nat'l  WOW!! - Page 2 Empty Re: WOW! PSA!! T206 Doyle NY Nat'l WOW!!

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:45 pm

I figured the bad guys would not stay around for long for the fear of getting caught and getting in trouble but I guess I am wrong. They just move around and work their tricks. They use the graders to authenicate their work and fill their pockets. As long as there is a buck tobe made they will keep trying. Is this the case? Is Dr. Koos still around the hobby? Was he the one making the fake Snodgrass cards? Greenhornet?

When I was on ebay in 2002-I had won a ex raw Snodgrass with bat and soon got an email with an offer to buy. I didn't sell and didn't think much about it. I later learned it was from the person making the fakes. I didn't save the email or the user id. I guess you need to always keep your guard up.

The investor and flippers make it tough because they are just about the money and not the hobby.

I will keep digging and do my best to keep learning. I will be spending the Philly weekend with a hobby vet and I will learn as much as possible and get as much info on the bad guys as I can.
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
WOW!  PSA!!   T206 Doyle NY Nat'l  WOW!! - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100WOW!  PSA!!   T206 Doyle NY Nat'l  WOW!! - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2