Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Results from 2008 season with default manager settings

+3
ItsOnlyGil
nolemmings
sabrjay
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 Empty Re: Results from 2008 season with default manager settings

Post by sabrjay Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:57 am

One other thing I forgot, Gil's limited pitching staff ended up halting the season half the time because his pitchers were overworked. We will have to make pitching staffs a minmum of at least 7 so that teams can survive injuries and extra innings.

I'm still working on how to set lineups and still have the computer run the games

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 Empty Re: Results from 2008 season with default manager settings

Post by ItsOnlyGil Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:45 am

The Medieval B.B.C.

The team has multiple serious problems. Rolling Eyes
Poor player allocation is one which is correctable, it would seem. This is viewed as simply making better assignments, now that the sim's impact on 19th century players statistics are realized, and my understanding of some of my players deficiencies are more fully understood. Shocked
But as Jay points out, we have a pitching deficiency which may not be able to be corrected. At one time I thought that pitchers who could barely curve a ball from 50 feet would somehow translate to having the modern capability to throw a Wilhelm knuckler or Spahnies scroogie. Apparently they are throwing bean bag pitches with modern baseballs. Evil or Very Mad
But as far as being understaffed, these boys often pitched everyday. There were no pitch counts, no pulling them out if the other team scores a few (or more) runs, etc. 50 starts per pitcher was typical - and nearly 50 finishes too. But the sim follows its programming. And there is no need for ironman pitching, and who would want to earn millions for a few years, when you could do it for many (I would - two years and Im out). Exclamation
I also thought that Big Dan Brouthers would translate into a modern power hitter. He sure dominated the 19th century. And now Im thinking that I may bench him, because I need a righty in that slot - the three hitters who preceed him are all lefties Sad
Quick now: who was the top closer in the nineteenth century ... ok, take your time.
Smile

But seriously, the Medieval B.B.C. is not the lowest in run scoring, but nearly are so.
The pitching staff gave up the most runs, walks and recorded the fewest strikeouts.
It may be best to consider this as an experiment which has reached its conclusion.

On the bright side the club scored lowest in balks and scored 1st and 4th in successfully hitting opposing batters. But in fairness, 19th century pitchers did not fare well in this experiment (300 game winners, or not). Nichols did have the 10th lowest ERA.

Last edited by ItsOnlyGil on Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:17 am

I wouldn't have a problem allowing Gil to drop two of his bench hitters for a pair of undrafted arms. Especially if his lack of pitching was causing a halt in the sim. Is that a possible solution?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:19 am

I was about to suggest that myself

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 Empty Meeting with Sim

Post by ItsOnlyGil Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:24 pm

The Sim visited my office late last night and pointed out that it is difficult to get good help anymore. But in fairness, Jay had to input about 300 entries of players, and had very few oversights. Additionally, he had various other tasks to perform and he not only did those efficiently, but he also put together comprehensive reports of the results achieved.
Thank you, Jay!
The Sim also pointed out that he has plenty of red in his cap. And he chose to remove Heilmann from outfield duties, in favor of Sosa because Heilmann is relatively immobile, and he can get away with that in few positions. And the facts bear out that Sosa did a good job in the field, and although he did not hit for average, he did hit for power. wow

It was my intent here to determine how 19th century players would perform with the sim programming. The pitching staff was small and included three early National League "ironman" moundsmen, a top notch deadball hurler, and a mediocre pitcher from the 1940s. agree
Although going in the staff ERA is believed to be no worse than the competition's, the performance of the pitchers was poor. And the three eras represented were not distinuishable based on what each pitcher accomplished. It is noted that the ironmen pitchers each had less than 300 innings pitched in the sim season, while a typical season for them included over 400 innings pitched. Additionally, because of this, the other two hurlers were taxed beyond their history indicates that they can perform. That is, in real life, neither the deadball nor the 1940s pitcher ever achieved the number of innings in a season that they were required to do in the simulation. I am not sure why this is.

From a hitting perspective, the 19th century batters did almost as poorly as the 19th century pitchers performed. That is, they hit more than fifty points on the average worse than they did as indicated in Baseball Reference. The deadball hitters, however, performed well. Most recording averages similar to those attained while they were playing.

It is recognized that the sim is a commercial product. And as such will maximize its profitability if it incorporates features which are popular. I think that 19th century players are not popular, nor is it clear how to analyze their play.

ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by slidekellyslide Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:31 pm

Interesting results - one of my starters must have missed a good amount of time because for some reason Dan Quisenberry started 12 games. Shocked
slidekellyslide
slidekellyslide
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://www.freewebs.com/nebraskadiamonds/

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:33 pm

Gil, I set your manager preferences to a 3 man rotation with Hecker as a spot starter and Roe as the reliever. It didn't help muh as far as winning. The starters got around 50 or more starts and 350+ innings.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Thu May 01, 2008 11:02 pm

sabrjay wrote:I ran 10 seasons with just the default settings.

Pray for Rain and the Dunderheads won their respective divisions 7 times each. Other winners included 3 division titles by the Orioles, 2 by the Spiders and 1 by Field of Dreams.

The Dunderheads had the best overall record 7 times including the most wins with 108. The orioles had the best record twice and Field of Dreams and Pray for Rain both had the best record once.

Jay

Attention contenders and wannabees!

Check this list below, and if it is not your second baseman and center fielder shown on this list, PM me and I will tell you why. And how to change that. It could be just the edge which you need.

League batting leaders -- FC Historical FBBL
Regular season -- as of 11/18/2008
Batting average

Cobb RMB .338
Gehrig Bal .328
Lajoie RMB .322
Delahanty,E Win .315
Terry,B BM
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu May 01, 2008 11:33 pm

Gil, I wouldn't worry too much about making trades. This is basically a flshing out process for the next draft. People will now have an idea how players will perform and what will happen. This will allow people to adjust their draft stategy accordingly.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri May 02, 2008 12:46 am

Yeah, well I need to sign up for the Remedial Understanding class.
The way I figure this is the Blundering Dunderheads are repeatedly winning the honors, yet
place in the bottom half of the league (7th & 8th) in ERA and batting.

So I got to figure that the team manager and official scorer got a special understanding going on.

But seriously, Id like to see what can be done with the Medevial B.B.C.
We've got some good stuff in the hopper.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri May 02, 2008 1:01 am

If I had a vote,
I would prefer to not go through a draft again.
Keep what we have,
make trades,
discard what we no longer want to the "minors",
pick up from the "minors" anyone new we want at any time.
Go for a new season.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri May 02, 2008 3:38 am

There are a few reasons for having another draft. No one really knew what would happen with the sim and with an eleven team league, it makes for an odd number to work with as far as standings and scheduling, etc. I'd like to see a 16 team league with two divisions. We'd be hard pressed to add one team who has to draft leftovers, let alone get 5 teams.

With a new draft we will be able to get a round number of teams for the league and people have a better understanding of how the sim works and they can change their draft strategy accordingly.

I ran a bunch of seasons again just to see if you observation about my team was correct. Yes, my team generally finished in the middle for BA, but my team wasn't designed around that. The season that is posted seems to be an aboration as far my pitching goes. In the batch I ran, I never finshed worse than 5th in ERA and was usually top 3, but that isn't what my staff was built around.

I'd say more about the way I drafted, but I don't want to tip my hand too much before the next draft.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sun May 04, 2008 1:33 pm

An alternate approach to drafting, which some consider cumbersome, is to select all time teams. And put together the best roster from each teams history, and pit one against the other.

Of course, the Yankees may win every time. But they may not win every time.

This approach can be implemented comparitively quickly.

I like the A's, 'cause I like the Beast:

Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 F-g10

R311 Leather

................. go ahead, you tell him that he can't catch.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun May 04, 2008 2:04 pm

Actually, the way the players are broken down on the disk is by team. Some teams, like Yankees can field two teams.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Sun May 04, 2008 2:36 pm

Personally I really enjoy the drafting element, but I wouldn't be ready for another draft for a few months at least. In the meantime, it would be fun to run the sim with our current teams after adjusting tactics/lineups, as well as Gil's idea of matching up all time great teams in the sim.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun May 04, 2008 7:57 pm

as soon as I get everyone's preferences, I'll run the sim again.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 Empty Jay....

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Sun May 04, 2008 8:00 pm

As for preferences, do you need what our manager will do in every situation?

I think i know where the thread is that breaks each decision a manager will make.

thanks
Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Results from 2008 season with default manager settings - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun May 04, 2008 9:49 pm

There is a thread for posting manager preferences. I listed each option and each on has a choice from 1-5. 1 being something you want done a lot, to 5, something you don't want done very often.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2