Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum

4 posters

Go down

Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum Empty Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum

Post by pariah1107 Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:10 pm

"Woman in Blue in Front of Fireplace", by Matisse (1937) was returned to the Rosenberg family by the Oslo Museum yesterday after looted by the Nazis. It's never too late to put things in their rightful place.

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/arts-theater/article/Matisse-painting-stolen-by-Nazis-is-returned-5338738.php
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum Empty Re: Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum

Post by ullmandds Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:38 am

That's awesome!  Just yesterday I went to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts to see the MAtisse exhibit...on loan from the baltimore museum of art...matisse followed me here from baltimore!!!

Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum <a href=Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum Unname10" />
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum Empty Re: Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum

Post by cccc Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:18 pm

from the article, was the painting abandoned...or stolen? is there a difference? i could read about art history all day.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:58 am

The article only indicates the painting was "purchased in good faith". Not sure what is meant by that, but you raise interesting questions: What is, or is not considered pilfered art?

Here's an article that blurs the lines further. A relative of the former curator for the Nazi party, Gurlitt, was found to possess more than 60 Renoir, Monet, and Picasso's in 2012. He was exonerated, but if that is not looted, what is?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/11/stolen-nazi-paintings-austria-germany-picasso-renoir-monet
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:44 pm

fascinating stuff ty, too bad there's no pic of the artworks! keem the articles coming when you find them. for a period there i was obsessed with venetian high renaissance art of titian and giorgione.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:18 am

cccc wrote:fascinating stuff ty, too bad there's no pic of the artworks! keem the articles coming when you find them.  for a period there i was obsessed with venetian high renaissance art of titian and giorgione.

I'm not sophisticated enough for the Venetian high renaissance art, but I love impressionism. Some of those french 19th Century artists were just brilliant. Sure makes baseball cards pale in comparison. Sigh.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Matisse returned to Rosenberg Family by Oslo Museum Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:11 pm

Q, Thought I'd share, not sure if you heard about this recent recovery in LA Dec. 2014:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/19/us-usa-art-heist-idUSKBN0JX2D420141219

pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down