Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer?

+8
pariah1107
TheBig6
sabrjay
cccc
ullmandds
terjung
jbonie
Bosox Blair
12 posters

Go down

Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Empty Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer?

Post by Bosox Blair Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:08 am

Hi Folks,

Interested to hear your views. In building my E92 Dockman set I have acquired 2 Sam Crawford cards - an SGC 4 and a PSA 4.

I'll attach large scans, but (if you are interested in playing) I'm curious which of these two you prefer, and why. The scans are from the same scanner with the same settings. The images accurately reflect the appearances of the two cards.

Here they are:

Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Sam_cr14

or this one:

Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Sam_cr15
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Empty Re: Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer?

Post by jbonie Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:17 am

The PSA one is cleaner but a bit funny-looking on the registration. Seems out of focus. I'd go with the SGC.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Empty Re: Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer?

Post by terjung Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:20 am

SGC due to registration
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:28 pm

I prefer the PSA!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:24 pm

his face is funny to start out with...psa

sgc has worn corners/soiling like modern day lindsay lohan. psa is a little side-eye but more like 'mean girls" lindsay
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:47 pm

SGC, I really detest out of register cards.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:24 pm

The PSA one is leaving trails like Mark Farner did in Long Beach 1970
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:30 pm

Is it me or does the PSA look like he has a double-image or "blurry" face, as if it was meant to be a lenticular card? I like the SGC face but the PSA borders, is that fair?
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:47 pm

cccc wrote:his face is funny to start out with...psa

sgc has worn corners/soiling like modern day lindsay lohan. psa is a little side-eye but more like 'mean girls" lindsay

Hahaha! I like the LiLo analogies!

Thanks for the responses so far...it really is a question - I think - about which condition features you value more. As you have all pointed out, the negative of the PSA card is registration. I think other than that it has superior corners, cut and brightness.

So far it looks like the slight majority prefer a better registered card, and will accept softer corners, a bit uneven cut and discoloration to get a sharper image.
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by seablaster Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:34 am

In this instance, I'd say PSA over SGC.

As previously mentioned, it's not like this depiction of Wahoo Sam is spot on. The registration is not far off in my opinion.

The SGC card has a diamond cut, stains in the upper left and lower right corners, and isn't centered as nicely. Come to think of it, I think the grade may be a tad generous.

This question should be posed to a noncollector. A nonpartisan wife/fiancé/girlfriend who has no interest in cards would do nicely. My money would be on their response being PSA 4.
seablaster
seablaster
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:07 am

I personally would go with the SGC, the registry on the PSA is annoying.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:18 am

I don't know, I'm still leaning towards this one.

Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Lindsay-lohan-passed-out
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:03 am

would take either the sgc or psa over this one.

a non-collector judgement is a good idea, although imo they wouldn't even notice the blurred registry (i've seen worse).

BigGuy219 wrote:I don't know, I'm still leaning towards this one.

Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Lindsay-lohan-passed-out
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Your Opinion - Which of These Crawfords do You Prefer? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by MSTEELE Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:05 am

Hi Blair,

I would go with the PSA model.
MSTEELE
MSTEELE
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down