Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

September Pick-ups

+12
bowlingshoeguy
LucasRiley
t206head
pariah1107
seablaster
Bicem
terjung
BigGuy219
sabrjay
cccc
ullmandds
jbonie
16 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

September Pick-ups - Page 2 Empty RE:

Post by seablaster Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:54 pm

Eddie made the rounds. Seems he parted ways with Jay in 2009 and now he's joined my motley crew.

September Pick-ups - Page 2 Plank

A couple of miscut T205 Cubs because miscuts seem to be the flavor of the month.

September Pick-ups - Page 2 Cubs
seablaster
seablaster
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
September Pick-ups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100September Pick-ups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

September Pick-ups - Page 2 Empty Re: September Pick-ups

Post by sabrjay Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:20 am

The Plank is a great looking card for the grade. for those wondering why it got a 2. There is a touch of paper loss on the back but doesn't affect the type.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
September Pick-ups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100September Pick-ups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:56 am

I agree, I like the Plank. Great look on his face. Very nice card. Congrats!
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
September Pick-ups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100September Pick-ups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:10 am

that plank has logged some miles this past month. went from canada (ben), to me (cali) to mike (oh?), and onto its current destination.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
September Pick-ups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100September Pick-ups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:12 am

Yup...great plank! Most cj's are beauties!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
September Pick-ups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100September Pick-ups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:26 am

ullmandds wrote:Yup...great plank! Most cj's are beauties!!!

Agreed. That's an awesome set. A part of me has always wanted to collect it, but my wallet has declared that I can start no more new sets after the Diamond Stars. Speaking of which...
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
September Pick-ups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100September Pick-ups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:28 am

September Pick-ups - Page 2 Kgrhqz10September Pick-ups - Page 2 Kgrhqr10

Good ole Mr. Traynor. I particularly like the hitting tutorial on the back of the card. "Remember, the ball must cross some part of the plate to be a strike." I know of some umpires who could use a refresher on that lesson.
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

September Pick-ups - Page 2 Empty RE:

Post by seablaster Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:11 am

Thank you gentlemen. As Jay mentioned there is very little paper loss on the reverse. He has some sauce on his shirt on the left as well, but it blends in nicely. I can only identify it in the scan after having seen it in person. With how cost prohibitive Cracker Jacks have become, I'm happy with 2s that look like this all day long.

cccc wrote:that plank has logged some miles this past month. went from canada (ben), to me (cali) to mike (oh?), and onto its current destination.

This is akin to a "Where's George?" report. Canada -> CA -> TX -> GA. I hope he got frequent flyer miles.
seablaster
seablaster
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
September Pick-ups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100September Pick-ups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:14 am

great plank! ben struck a private deal for a bender he needed and the card never made its way onto the auction block. glad the card found its way back over here.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
September Pick-ups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100September Pick-ups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:31 am

cccc wrote:great plank! ben struck a private deal for a bender he needed and the card never made its way onto the auction block. glad the card found its way back over here.

Sounds like Ben is well on his way to a pretty incredible Bender collection!
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
September Pick-ups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100September Pick-ups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:12 am

September Pick-ups - Page 2 T2ec1616September Pick-ups - Page 2 Kgrhqj11

Officially reaching the halfway mark on the 'Subjects Only' set, with a southern leaguer thrown in. Not a bad Wednesday night.
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:16 am

"subjects only"? does that mean only 1 card of each player?
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
September Pick-ups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100September Pick-ups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:24 am

ullmandds wrote:"subjects only"? does that mean only 1 card of each player?

Correct, sir. Not one of every card, but just one of every person featured in the set. Saves me from purchasing all the Cobb's, all the Cy Young's, etc. As long as I have the person, I have a set. Took me several tries to narrow down the total number of participants, but 392 seems solid based on several authorities (beyond myself). And I've now acquired 196 persons, with 196 to go. Now, the reality is that I'll never acquire two of the remaining 196 (won't get Honus Wagner and probably won't get any grade of Eddie Plank), but we must observe the numbers to keep this hobby on some kind of measurable platform.

At any rate, feels good to be 196 into The Monster. The second half will prove more costly than the first, but either is worth celebrating. bananarama
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:08 am

The nice thing about the "subjects only" concept is that once you are finished, you can start on completing the rest of the set (minus the big four).
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:01 am

Man were barely into the month and a big haul already. Pete must have had the bottom of booze out again.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
September Pick-ups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100September Pick-ups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:12 pm

Just a formality...

September Pick-ups - Page 2 Whitne10
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:51 pm

Believe I have mentioned this before, but never tire of seeing it; damn, that card is sharp!!!
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:26 pm

pariah1107 wrote:Believe I have mentioned this before, but never tire of seeing it; damn, that card is sharp!!!

Thanks Ty, I appreciate it. The card came this morning; it does not disappoint in person. I've been real careful - viewing it with a blacklight so the image doesn't get any exposure at all. It is really something, I must admit. I'm lucky to be able to own it. yes
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:02 am

"I've been real careful - viewing it with a blacklight so the image doesn't get any exposure at all."

Seriously? Are you wearing gloves when you handle the slab too?

You should crack it and take it for a ride around the block in your spokes!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:12 am

That's a good idea about the gloves - thanks for the tip! Razz
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:08 am

ha i know how jamie feels. when i had a couple n172s i hate looking at it through sunlight, and scanning it was of course off-limit. i just felt the image getting lighter every day...the ocd got so bad i had to sell 'em.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by CARDMAN Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:05 am

Love the Ruth card , he is by all means my favorite baseball player of all-time , hope to have one that old one day myself .

Richard
CARDMAN
CARDMAN
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
September Pick-ups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100September Pick-ups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

http://oldcards.weebly.com/wood-burning--drawing-page.html

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:40 pm

My first Carl Horner. The mount has seen better days, but the image is still superb IMO.

Sorry for the large scan. It's Jon Richmond's doing. My USB is out currently.

September Pick-ups - Page 2 CarlHornerDanMcGann
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:36 pm

Incredible images - both on that Whitney & dog and on the Horner cab.

Congrats, guys!
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
September Pick-ups - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100September Pick-ups - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:08 am

Thanks, Brian.

Beautiful image on that Horner Cab, Chris!
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next