Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shipping insurance

5 posters

Go down

Shipping insurance Empty Shipping insurance

Post by BigGuy219 Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:49 am

So I went to The UPS Store the other day to ship out a bunch of cards that I had sold.

Naturally I wanted to insure them, just in case some lowlife making $7.80 an hour at a processing center decided to take a walk with my box.

I attempted to insure the package, when I was told that I could not insure them because "sports cards did not have a set value and were worth only what someone was willing to pay."

His supervisor confirmed this to me, and they placed a phone call higher on the food chain, who echoed their sentiments.

This is the first I have ever heard of this and when shipping one or two cards with the post office I have always been able to insure my packages, and in fact, I've never even been asked what it was that I was insuring.

I also swear I remember receiving winnings from various houses shipping UPS and I distinctly remember paying the house for insurance, though I freely admit in my exuberance in tearing open my packages I never stopped to actually look at the label.

Is this accurate, or did I just encounter a couple of idiots?
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Shipping insurance Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Shipping insurance Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Shipping insurance Empty Re: Shipping insurance

Post by sabrjay Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:47 pm

UPS will insure them. The problem is dealing with the UPS store. They are not actually owned by UPS (similar to FedEx Office) but are franchises and allowed to set their own rules and rates. When they do offer insurance, it's higher than if you take it to a UPS center.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Shipping insurance Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Shipping insurance Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by spacktrack Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:57 pm

Every auction house carries private insurance that allows them to ship items via USPS, FedEx, UPS, or other carrier fully insured without having to go through that carrier. A company like Collectibles Insurance Agency will cover UPS shipments while UPS generally limits collectible reimbursement to $100. Your best bet if you do a lot of shipping is to get a CIA policy as it pays for itself, but otherwise, I always use USPS because they'll insure anything up to $25K.

spacktrack
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Shipping insurance Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Shipping insurance Right_bar_bleue

http://www.sterlingsportsauctions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:05 pm

To echo what Brian said, CIA is worth it if you do a lot of shipping or are transporting high value stuff. For occasional shipping of high value items, I recommend using Registered Mail through USPS. It takes longer, but they insure it up to $25,000 and it is signed off on every step of the way and sits in safes overnight. I'm told that the Hope Diamond was sent to the Smithsonian via Registered mail.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Shipping insurance Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Shipping insurance Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:17 pm

Thank you, this is helpful advice. I didn't know that C.I.A. covered shipments. So if you only ship registered, is it still worth it to get C.I.A.?

Also, do you trust the post office to come through with the money if a registered package is lost or stolen?
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Shipping insurance Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Shipping insurance Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down