Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby?

+3
fisherboy7
cccc
BigGuy219
7 posters

Go down

Sports collectibles are...

Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Vote_lcap27%Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 4 ]
Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Vote_lcap73%Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Vote_rcap 73% 
[ 11 ]
Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Vote_lcap0%Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 15

Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Empty Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby?

Post by BigGuy219 Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:11 pm

For the sake of argument we'll lump sports cards, sports autographs, and sports memorabilia together.

There are a lot of problems in our hobby. I don't want to give a laundry list, but certainly anyone who posts on this site is aware of them.

My question is ... are we dirtier, less dirty, or about the same as other hobbies?

I suppose that any 'collecting' hobby like coins, stamps, entertainment collectibles, etc. has some darkside ... but I certainly haven't heard of anything on the level of what I've heard about our hobby.

And I suppose that any 'recreational' hobby like flyfishing, golf, crocheting, etc. is fairly 'safe.'

What say you?
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Empty Re: Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby?

Post by cccc Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:31 pm

scammers and scumbags are everywhere, where there's money that's where they'll show up. i don't think it's any better or worse. i got into watches for a bit and there are plenty of 2-bit scams on 4-5 figure watches all the time. they just dress and smell better, usually with a tan and have a foreign accent, unlike some of the uneducated slobs you see in our hobby.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Empty Re: Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby?

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:35 pm

I think the forgery and scamming in the art collecting world is far more extensive and sophisticated than what we see in the vintage card biz. Likely because it's motivated by much more $$$.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:42 pm

fisherboy7 wrote:I think the forgery and scamming in the art collecting world is far more extensive and sophisticated than what we see in the vintage card biz. Likely because it's motivated by much more $$$.

Ben, have you ever seen How to Steal A Million with Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole?

It instantly came to mind when you mentioned that.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:56 pm

Chris - nope, but I just youtubed the trailer. Good flick?

There have been some incredible art heists over the past few centuries, some even very recent....the most famous being the Mona Lisa theft in 1911. Of course it was recovered and returned to the Louvre a few years later, but still you gotta wonder...how does one get away with something like that?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:22 pm

fisherboy7 wrote:Chris - nope, but I just youtubed the trailer. Good flick?

There have been some incredible art heists over the past few centuries, some even very recent....the most famous being the Mona Lisa theft in 1911. Of course it was recovered and returned to the Louvre a few years later, but still you gotta wonder...how does one get away with something like that?

I enjoyed it, but I'm a sucker for Hepburn.

If I remember the plot ... her father is a legendary art forger and one of his pieces is going on display at a museum and she fears her father will be found out as a forger so she and O'Toole steal it.

It's the usual 60s fare, but the casting is great and there are some funny bits and lines.

But it does really run the gamut of problems in the art world. Forgeries, theft, etc.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:57 am

All you have to do is look at religious relics to see how rife that field is with very, very good forgeries. If they brought that level of sophistication to our hobby, it wold be decades before anyone caught on.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:59 am

fisherboy7 wrote:Chris - nope, but I just youtubed the trailer. Good flick?

Multiple thefts of "The Scream"...the Gardner heist (Boston)...very sophisticated forgers...fine art has it all.

Fine wine also has some scammers...a very recent arrest on charges of massive fraud via wine counterfeiting: http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/46509/

Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Are sports collectibles the 'dirtiest' hobby? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:45 am

Being located near the hundreds of Yakima Valley wineries I agree with Blair the wine industry is rife with counterfeiting and general corruption. The art industry is plagued by theft, fraud, and an eager black market. Rare coins and precious metals have been appropriated, or heisted and resold under the banner of neutrality during the atrocities of World War II. Religious relics have been stolen, fought over in courts for decades, and lead to distrust of outside "collectors".

The baseball card, memorabilia industry is not harmless, but with open sites and discussion many unscrupulous individuals can be uncovered.

pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:16 pm

In view of yesterday's revelations, if any of you would like to change your votes, feel free. nahnahnah
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by m-mac Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:17 pm

The book, coin, and stamp hobbies, at least, have well-known and long lived collector or dealer associations that promote knowledge and have standards for fair dealing. Whether or not they are successful is somewhat answered by their longevity. The sports collectibles business may have had attempts at such an association, yet it is telling in regards to this hobby's reputation that a recognized association has failed to gain traction. Oh, and pardon me if there is an existing association. Proves my point.

m-mac
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down