Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I can't find a darn thing to buy!

+4
ullmandds
benjaminplante
sabrjay
BigGuy219
8 posters

Go down

I can't find a darn thing to buy! Empty I can't find a darn thing to buy!

Post by BigGuy219 Tue May 29, 2012 12:07 am

It's been a long time since I've posted simply because I've had nothing to contribute. For six months now I've purchased nothing. Not a single darn card. And it's not for lack of trying!

I get every major auction catalogue, tons of spam, and live on eBay. Yet nothing I'm interested in has come to market. I have a want list over on VintageCardPrices so I can get notified when cards I'm interested in come up for sale ... and it's virtually empty.

Has anyone gone through a dry spell like this? Does the economy have people holding back from listing? Is it just me, or are other people experiencing this?

I'm not looking for anything crazy. Even the T206s and '33 Goudeys in the grades I want aren't showing up!
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
I can't find a darn thing to buy! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100I can't find a darn thing to buy! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

I can't find a darn thing to buy! Empty Re: I can't find a darn thing to buy!

Post by sabrjay Tue May 29, 2012 12:40 am

When the economy is bad people don't want to sell for fear of taking a loos. They only sell when they have no other choice. Was like that in the early 80s. 52 MAntle hit $4 in 1981. Economy went south in '82 and you didn't see many of them because no one wanted to lose money. Same is true now. Lots of collectors bought their cards during the boom market so they have a lot into them and don't want to sell unless they really have to.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
I can't find a darn thing to buy! Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100I can't find a darn thing to buy! Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by benjaminplante Tue May 29, 2012 5:29 am

I wish I had that problem... I'd be saving lots of money! In the last 3 months I started buying dozens of graded '33 Goudey hofers, then I bought a PSA Gretzky RC (i'm not a hockey fan) and now I'm collecting 50's football stars to include several unitas, starr, hornung and berry rc's... I need a dry spell!
benjaminplante
benjaminplante
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
I can't find a darn thing to buy! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100I can't find a darn thing to buy! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed May 30, 2012 2:05 am

yes...yes...yes...i can relate...it's so frustrating. I am wanting to spend thousands of dollars on certain cards that arent "that" rare...and I just can't...they are not available. certain cards I've been looking for for 5-10 yrs...are just not appearing. it's causing me to stray and buy other issues I may not have in the past...like going for an n43 set...how ridiculous!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
I can't find a darn thing to buy! Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100I can't find a darn thing to buy! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Wed May 30, 2012 2:44 am

Not to hijack my own thread, but I went back to VCP and edited my want list. I collect SGC slabs and therefore my want list is set to only list SGC graded cards. When I changed it to also list PSA cards the number of cards on my want list increased dramatically.

It doesn't help me, because I've heard too many horror stories of crossovers gone awry. I can't help but wonder where the SGC graded examples are.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by hanksta Wed May 30, 2012 2:40 pm

I hear ya, it's been a while since I've added anything to my Cravath collection...almost long enough that I've started contemplating selling the collection to amp up my beer production...
hanksta
hanksta
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
I can't find a darn thing to buy! Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100I can't find a darn thing to buy! Right_bar_bleue

http://www.millcitycards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed May 30, 2012 3:07 pm

yes...beer...beer...beer!!!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Wed May 30, 2012 4:04 pm

Did somebody say Beer? beer

pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by hanksta Wed May 30, 2012 6:01 pm

Beer it is!

I guess I can name one of the brews Gavvy Ale?
hanksta
hanksta
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

http://www.millcitycards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Wed May 30, 2012 9:41 pm

Wouldn't Cactus Ale be a better name? Even got your slogan; "Dying of thirst? Try Cactus Ale" Gavvy is too close to gravy, Gravy Ale... yuck, don't think I'd even drink that. It would remind me of that horrible Jones Soda turkey and gravy flavored concoction.

Sorry for the thread derailment. Heading to the Washington State Sports Card collectors show this weekend in Seattle, so I hope to end my lengthy drought soon. I haven't bought a card in a few months. Plenty of w's on fleebay but WAY OVERPRICED.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Thu May 31, 2012 1:52 am

BigGuy219:

I wanna throw in my two bits to try to re-ignite your passion for the hobby. This evening, I've finally acquired a much-coveted card (see the standard Recent Acquisitions thread), and I'm overly-juiced to post. That having been said, ya just gotta hang in there. The set I won from tonight had sat inactive on my want list for six months, but only a few minutes ago I scored the second biggest card in the set (behind the inimitable Babe). So just hang in there. We all go through dry periods, but eventually it always breaks. You just have to keep searching.

Your card is out there. And the seller doesn't know how bad you want it. How can he? That's the beauty of an auction.

Good luck, sir. Looking forward to a post on the Recent Acquisitions thread soon where you've landed a card as exciting as the one I toppled tonight. And all apologies if anyone reading this was outbid by me. '-)
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
I can't find a darn thing to buy! Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100I can't find a darn thing to buy! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:29 am

chris--wish i have your problem. i find my interest keep expanding within the hobby, and i truly get excited about every purchase i make, big or small. i actually have ebay saved searches like "1989 topps bill bene signed" (he's a tough auto and facing prison time) and i look forward to getting my 99cent monty fariss signed card in the mail...WTF??? i need help.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
I can't find a darn thing to buy! Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100I can't find a darn thing to buy! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down