Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels

+9
ullmandds
sabrjay
ValKehl
3-2-count
Bicem
bowlingshoeguy
Abravefan11
pro9
r337man
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Do you think the A.W.A. was a misprint or another legit issue?

Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels - Page 2 Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 2 ]
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels - Page 2 Vote_lcap80%Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels - Page 2 Vote_rcap 80% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 10

Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels - Page 2 Empty Re: Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels

Post by ValKehl Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:07 am

Tim - Thanks for this great info and all your great research (you are the best at this!). I just noticed another unusual aspect regarding the back of the Otey card (the AWH card directly above with the stains, that one that you circled the lower left flower in red). Take a look at the flower in the upper right corner - it points straight up instead of pointing at a 45 degree angle like the 3 other flowers on this card. I have never seen this anomaly on an E222 with this back design. FYI, I have a pic of another Otey card (not mine) which has the same back design, but all 4 of its flowers are pointing at a 45 degree angle - this Otey card has black printing on the back, and the front is rose colored. I don't think that consistency was Fulton Press' strong suit!!
Best,
Val

ValKehl
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels - Page 2 Empty Re: Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels

Post by r337man Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:57 am

You are correct, there are tons of rare RAW UNSLABBED cards out there that vintage chat board members have no clue about that reside in long time collector's collections.

POP reports are a joke, period!

But I will argue that there aren't many 1 of a kind cards out there, well there may not be many, but there are some. As of right now, and I have the luxery of knowing many long time collectors and I stay up on recent happenings, I would venture to say that 26 of my 28 1910 Washington Times cards are currently 1 of a kind though there are 2 doubles out there which prove more were made.

The 1894 Alpha Photo Engraving cards are all 1 of a kind.

The 1914 Baltimore News Guy Zinn card is currently standing alone as well.

It is a very interesting hobby, and Tim has done some amazing research on this oddball little set that is very TOUGH!

Dan
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Abravefan11 Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:05 pm

Thanks Dan and Val for the kind words.

I found this article from a 1921 newspaper and the last sentence definitely answers my question about Mr. Antoni's middle name.

Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels - Page 2 Pl_008232011_0958_19797_141.pdf%252520%252528applicationpdf%252520Object%252529%252520-%252520Mozilla%252520Firefox%2525208232011%25252095934%252520AM

He may still be A.W.A. and I will be doing further research to see if I can say with more certainty one way or another.
Abravefan11
Abravefan11
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by andybecker Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:14 pm

awesome thread Dan! thanks for sharing.

Tim, incredible research! i have learned and look forward to learning more.

thanks so much, both of you!

andybecker
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:55 pm

I think you can add the Allegany cards to the 1 of 1 list too, Dan.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ValKehl Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:58 am

Dan - Aren't all of the known W573 Leader Theatre cards (all Wash. Senators?) one of a kind? Is the same true for the W575-1 Leader Theatre cards?
Val

ValKehl
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:09 am

I do not know that information Val as they are so scarce. I don't ever remember seeing a duplicate but you would have thought they made multiples no? Good question though, Leon would probably know that better as that is a tough type issue that he is knowledgable about. Dan.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:35 pm

Yes Allegheny's are all one of a kind for sure, that one I do know. Dan.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2