Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels

+9
ullmandds
sabrjay
ValKehl
3-2-count
Bicem
bowlingshoeguy
Abravefan11
pro9
r337man
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do you think the A.W.A. was a misprint or another legit issue?

Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Vote_lcap20%Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 2 ]
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Vote_lcap80%Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Vote_rcap 80% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 10

Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Empty Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels

Post by r337man Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:10 pm

These do not belong to me but a very good friend of mine who I haven't seen in a long time. He is a long time collector who enjoyed the hobby before 3rd party grading cancered it. It was great to hear from him! And very kind of him to allow me to share these gems with you. Enjoy the eye candy!

Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Awh2_b11Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Awh1_b11
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Empty Re: Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels

Post by pro9 Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Wow, what a collection! Am I mistaken or are no two backs shown the same? How many different e222 backs are there?

edited to add: I think I see one dupe.

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Empty Re: Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels

Post by Abravefan11 Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:34 pm

pro9 wrote: How many different e222 backs are there?

Not counting color variations there are 7 different back designs know. Six different A.W.H. backs and one A.W.A. Six of the seven are in this collection. Also this collection has 10 of the 12 known subjects. (Ison and Guiheen are missing.)

Prior to these two A.W.A. backs there was only one known. When I wrote an article on this set for OC last year I surmised that the A.W.A. was more than likely a type set error. These two examples definitely cast doubt on that but I can't say for sure. When I have time later I will go through my notes and post more information on another candy maker that may have been A.W.A.
Abravefan11
Abravefan11
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:59 pm

I seriously don't know how to vote on this. Why would there be so many different backs from the same company?

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Abravefan11 Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:08 pm

bowlingshoeguy wrote:Why would there be so many different backs from the same company?

Because they were not printed by a large company like American Lithograph but two brothers running a small print job shop out of the family home.
Abravefan11
Abravefan11
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:18 pm

wow.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:56 pm

Bicem wrote:wow.

I'll second that...... Wow!!
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by ValKehl Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:21 am

As I am sitting at my PC reading today's posts on Full Count and the other board, I felt like I was falling asleep (it's been a long day) until I got to this thread - I still hadn't fully awakened until I got to Tim's post in which he mentioned the two previously unknown A.W.A. examples pictured above, as I hadn't even noticed them initially! Now that I am fully awake, I say WOW + 2!!

I think it would be neat if we can show all 12 known players in this thread - here's my Guiheen (along with Hooker, who just happens to be in the same scan) - Can anyone add the Ison?
Val
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels E222aw10
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels E222aw11

ValKehl
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ValKehl Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:29 am

BTW, the other known A.W.A. back is also a McCauley card, however, the color on the front of the card is different - it's blue.
Val

ValKehl
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ValKehl Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:45 am

Hey Dan - Does your friend also collect WaJo cards? If so, please let him know that I have some scarce ones that I just might be willing to part with for some E222s! flaglol
Best,
Val

ValKehl
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:31 pm

Great group of cards. Thanks for sharing them with us.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:21 pm

He is primarily a set collector Val, I don't think he individually collects Walter. Thanks for the scans. I think the only one I own may be Ison, I have to dig out my hacked up type card.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:02 am

That's awesome to see such a grouping of AWH/AWA caramels!!!!! I've always wanted one for my type collection.

I can't remember the player...but there's a pose of him fielding a fly and you can see a few fans in the background...I love it...and WANT ONE!!!!!!

Awesome stuff...if he has those...he must have an amazing collection!!!!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:37 am

Pete, I think you are thinking of a t209.

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:07 am

There are no action poses in E222. My guess is that Pete's thinking of the D380 Clement Osborne.

Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels 10D380_Osborn_A

Last edited by fisherboy7 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:17 pm

Tim, can you share some more e222 knowledge. Are the backs consistent with the player and/or color on the front?

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:34 pm

oops...my bad!!!!! But that's the one...d380 osborn...thanks for the correction. That's 2 types I need!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by canjond Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Unbelievable!
canjond
canjond
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Left_bar_bleue3 / 1003 / 100Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Right_bar_bleue

http://www.baseballandtobacco.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:16 pm

so much for leon having the only awa back? Just goes to show...there are likely very few...if any "one of a kind" cards!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:45 pm

Spoken like someone who might own one Razz
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Abravefan11 Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:02 pm

While I was researching the set I looked for a candy maker with the initials A.W.A. that was in business at the time the set was issued. Going through the Richmond city directories I came across one name that could be it, Andrew Antoni. He was a candy maker with a shop on 9th street. The last year he had a business listing in the city directory was 1909. According to the 1910 U.S. census which was taken in April he was retired which explained his not being in the 1910 city directory. Once I had the name I set out to determine what Mr. Antoni’s middle initial was. I saw his name on census records, insurance papers, property deeds, his marriage license and his death certificate and a middle name or initial was never used on any of them. I ended up at the cemetery where he was buried thinking it may be on his headstone but his grave didn’t have a name on the marker. It’s very possible the he didn’t have a middle name but if he did I wasn’t able to determine it.

So without the middle initial I looked at the timeline of the sets issue and Mr. Antoni’s retirement. The earliest possible creation date is marked by the issue of T206’s with Hindu cigarettes. This was the first time that ATC had produced cards of players from the Southern Leagues including the Virginia State League. It was their intention to print all 48 southern league subjects at this time but a limited print run reduced the number issued to 34. There are a total of twelve VSL players in the T206 set but only eight were printed in the limited Hindu run. These are the eight T206 images used for the E222 set. The first Hindu advertisements to include southern league subjects were run from mid August 1909 until the first week of September and give us an earliest issue time for the E222’s. I don’t know if Mr. Antoni was still in business this late in 1909 or if he had already retired. But given only one A.W.A. was known at the time I wrote the article I thought it more likely to be a typeset error than a second company but it could be possible it was Andrew Antoni.

Here is a map showing the proximity of the two candy makers and Fulton Press. The markers left to right are Andrew Antoni’s shop, Arthur W. Havens shop, and Fulton Press.

Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels A.W.H.%252520%252520Interactive%252520map%252520on%252520Pinmaps.net%252520-%252520Mozilla%252520Firefox%2525208222011%25252011652%252520PM

The now three known A.W.A.’s all have different color fronts, but the same color backs. The Ryan is only the third of this subject that I am aware of. One is in a private collection and the other is in the Burdick collection. I plan to check with the collector that owns the Ryan as I believe this card may have the A.W.H. counterpart back to the A.W.A.

Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels AWATrio

As previously stated A.W.H.’s are known with six different backs not including different colors. The A.W.A. backs have only been found with one design which has an A.W.H. counterpart.

Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels AWA%252520AWH%252520Backs

Of the cards I have seen with the A.W.A. back and it’s A.W.H. counterpart, they all have the same print flaw. The flower in the bottom left border corner only has one dot and not two. The lower dot is missing from all I have seen. Other backs using the same design with a different font in the text show both dots. This is a possible indication that the A.W.A. and the counterpart A.W.H. backs were printed at the same time.

Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Recently%252520Updated159

I’m uncertain if the A.W.A. back was Andrew Antoni or a typeset mistake. I believe if a card surfaces with an A.W.A. back with one of the other back designs or color it would show the typeset was intentional. I plan to do further research and hope to find a date when Mr. Antoni sold his business which could be a determining factor in whether he could have been involved or not. It’s a fascinating set and a great group of cards in the OP.
Abravefan11
Abravefan11
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:43 pm

Wow! Great info, Tim!
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Wanted to share some AWH and AWA Caramels Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:11 pm

great info Tim...thanks!!!!!

Jay...I'm sure...someday another rowdy red cross loudy will surface...just a matter of time!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:02 pm

Yup, there are two Blackburne's now. So it's just a matter of time.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:09 pm

I heard ol' lena was a double print?!?!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next