Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Chief" Bender & Jimmy Claxton

5 posters

Go down

"Chief" Bender & Jimmy Claxton Empty "Chief" Bender & Jimmy Claxton

Post by pariah1107 Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:42 am

http://digitum.washingtonhistory.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/boland&CISOPTR=27&CISOBOX=1&REC=3

Ran across the above photo in research on Tacoma baseball 1924. Obviously the Bambino in center, but was shocked to see bottom row, second from the left, looks like "Chief" Bender. Then I ran across an article on a Jimmy Claxton no-hitter pitched versus the 23rd street Skidoos (June 22, 1924) in which "Chief" Bender made two sensational outs in center field.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
"Chief" Bender & Jimmy Claxton Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100"Chief" Bender & Jimmy Claxton Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

"Chief" Bender & Jimmy Claxton Empty Re: "Chief" Bender & Jimmy Claxton

Post by fisherboy7 Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:21 pm

Moved this thread to hobby talk; technically, it's on-topic.

You sure that's Bender on the bottom row second from left? I don't see it, but maybe it's just a weird pic of him.

"Chief" Bender & Jimmy Claxton Bbende10

"Chief" Bender & Jimmy Claxton 2826245542_eb6a4786f0
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
"Chief" Bender & Jimmy Claxton Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100"Chief" Bender & Jimmy Claxton Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:55 pm

That is what I am trying to find out, but nearly positive it is THE Charley Bender. The Tacoma Industrial League in 1924 was pretty damn good baseball (step below PCL), and the uniform indicates "LWA", the Tacoma Longshoreman Union. The others are from teams in the same league including the K Street K's, Tacoma Avenuers, and Fern Hill Chicken Raisers (I'm serious). Bender appears numerous times in articles on the Stevedore team, but unusually only in the outfield (one relief appearance). He couldn't hit a lick, but seems to appear regularly for sparkling defense.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
"Chief" Bender & Jimmy Claxton Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100"Chief" Bender & Jimmy Claxton Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:35 am

No way that is Bender. Complexion looks too light and if you look at the eyes, Bender's brow is very straight. The brow is noticeably slanted in the other pic.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
"Chief" Bender & Jimmy Claxton Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100"Chief" Bender & Jimmy Claxton Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:54 am

I don't see Chief Bender in that picture.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
"Chief" Bender & Jimmy Claxton Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100"Chief" Bender & Jimmy Claxton Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:11 am

OK, trust your opinions (no indication on rear of original). Now I am having a hard time. Research can be beyond frustrating. A gentleman named "Chief" Bender played outfield for the Longshoreman Stevedores (1924). He did not hit well, and had one relief appearance (played in 30 of 33 games). Is anyone familiar with the REAL "Chief" Bender's bio in 1924?
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:59 am

Bender appears to have been in New Haven, CT. This is the second time I have run into this, the first being Ty Cobb in Nevada. Ty Cobb (b.1915 - ?) was a Nevada State Journal sports writer in the mid - late 30's (I believe his son is a current State Rep). Always fishing, sorry for the trouble.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:31 pm

No trouble. This how you learn. Especially the obscure details because they usually aren't easy to find.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
"Chief" Bender & Jimmy Claxton Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100"Chief" Bender & Jimmy Claxton Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Abravefan11 Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:37 pm

FWIW - The first half of 1924 Bender coached at Navy. He signed with New Haven on July 3rd.
Abravefan11
Abravefan11
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down