Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old Judge Collecting Strategy?

+2
ullmandds
browncow75
6 posters

Go down

Old Judge Collecting Strategy? Empty Old Judge Collecting Strategy?

Post by browncow75 Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:30 am

Hey Guys!
With the many ways to collect this HUGE set, what strategy do you collect them by? One example of each (not rediculously rare) available player, by pose, team etc? I am really beginning to love the set, and Im just interested to see how other collectors approach the set. Im thinking of going with a St. Louis subset, along with a Star/Hof'er subset. Of course, after that, Im unsure where to go next. Spotted Tie subset? Players' League? Calfornia League (lol, Just kidding!). For those of you who collect OJ's, Whats your approach?
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Old Judge Collecting Strategy? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Old Judge Collecting Strategy? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Old Judge Collecting Strategy? Empty Re: Old Judge Collecting Strategy?

Post by ullmandds Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:58 pm

I have 2 of them for my type collection...a Brown's Champ...and a nice commoner. I suppose theoretically...I'd ultimately like a 2 player pose...and a pinkish hued one...but I'm more of a 20th c collector...although I've been liking OJ's more and more lately!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Old Judge Collecting Strategy? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Old Judge Collecting Strategy? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by hrbaker Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:56 pm

Don't collect them per se but only as they intersect with my HOF type collecting. If I were to start based on what I have seen I would focus on nice picture quality, not get too concerned about the backs and stay away from the extremely faded and pinkish ones.
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Old Judge Collecting Strategy? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Old Judge Collecting Strategy? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:57 pm

Image is everything for me when it comes to collecting OJ's. Regardless of what # is on the flip, (as long as it's not altered, trimmed, etc)
If the front displays a nice dark rich image that's all I'm looking for as far as strategy goes when picking them up.
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Old Judge Collecting Strategy? Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Old Judge Collecting Strategy? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:48 pm

Agree w/Tony...as Andre Agassi used to say...image is everything!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:12 pm

A good technical grade will pull a higher price, but image is imo really important. Browns subset is great, I would start there, then go for a different subset, whether team, spotted tie, etc. You can't go wrong, just enjoy the collecting!
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Old Judge Collecting Strategy? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Old Judge Collecting Strategy? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Old Judge Collecting Strategy? Empty Old Judge book

Post by johnnycrab Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:00 pm

Be sure to look for the Goodwin and Co. Old Judge book that shows almost all of the Old Judge poses and players. It sometimes pops up on eBay. Here's a link to its Amazon page: http://www.amazon.com/Photographic-Baseball-Goodwin-1886-1890-baseball/dp/B0029PAOLE

You can get great sub-set ideas from looking at the poses. Thanks to the book's photos, I started collecting catcher poses. Their gear was a bit medieval.
Graves_front
johnnycrab
johnnycrab
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Old Judge Collecting Strategy? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Old Judge Collecting Strategy? Right_bar_bleue

http://fielderjones.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down