Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting?

+4
Bosox Blair
sabrjay
bowlingshoeguy
BigGuy219
8 posters

Go down

Well, which one?

Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Vote_lcap59%Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Vote_rcap 59% 
[ 10 ]
Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Vote_lcap12%Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 2 ]
Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Vote_lcap6%Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Vote_lcap0%Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Vote_lcap23%Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 17

Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Empty Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting?

Post by BigGuy219 Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:10 am

This is a loaded question.

I'm trying to add more uniformity to my collection and give it some focus now that I've been collecting pre-war for a decade. Looking back over my cards I see an evolution of when I started working part-time (beater T206 HOFers), to when I started going to the show in White Plains in college (mid-grade '30s, '40s', and '50s), to a T201 partial set that stopped becoming fun once I nailed down Cobb, Mathewson, and Johnson, to some higher end cards I've purchased since getting out in the real world and earning a decent wage.

Anyway. As Mike at SGC told me when I made a dropped them all off at the beginning of this year, I have a "very nice type collection." Problem is, I don't really want to be a type collector. If a man is defined by his collection, then I would be identified as a man who cannot make up his mind. Lots of stops and starts, but no finished.

I intend to continue the M110 set, but since the Lajoie, Chance, and Chase I need may not be on the market for months (or even years) I feel the need to do something for the sake of doing something. To my amazement, my relationship has evolved to the point where I no longer have to impress her and can relax around the apartment watching a movie and cooking. So, I actually have a card budget again.

The length of this post is evidence why I shouldn't sit down at the computer when I'm over-tired at 3 AM. Anyway, if anyone read this far (and I can't blame you if you didn't!) I need opinions.

I'd like to revisit this era and pick up some star and HOF players. I've selected a few sets for you to choose from based solely on what I define as 'accessibility.' Meaning my primary concern is availability in the marketplace. I've already picked my difficult to obtain, wait every year for a big auction set to drive me nuts.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Empty Re: Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting?

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:04 pm

I think the main answer is T206 but if you want a little variety I think the E95 set is quite accessible.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Empty Re: Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting?

Post by sabrjay Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:26 pm

I say m101-4/5. You get the best of the Deadball era and the newcomers that would ring in the lively ball era. Plus there is a football HOFer in the set too.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:43 pm

That football HOFer isn't too accessible. Lots of HOFers though.
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:46 pm

It was this past year with more examples offered for sale in 2010 than the past 5 or so years.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:39 am

I picked T205 as truly "accessible". They are readily available, and the set can be actually completed (without having to say...except I don't have the Wagner or the Plank or the Doyle...)

I think it is a bit easier to buy T206 commons, compared to T205. But overall, I'd call T205 more accessible.
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:25 pm

I agree with a few viewpoints here...t206 is most accessible from a sheer # standpoint...but in terms of ability to complete the set...the t205 is easier and cheaper...although not that easy and cheap!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:12 pm

T3 - when baseball meets art. Widely available.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnnyHarmonica Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:21 pm

I would just keep getting different cards you like, what looks cool, hof, any issues you don't have. If you are getting tied down to one woman no need to do the same with your collection.
JohnnyHarmonica
JohnnyHarmonica
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:06 pm

JohnnyHarmonica wrote:I would just keep getting different cards you like, what looks cool, hof, any issues you don't have. If you are getting tied down to one woman no need to do the same with your collection.

This is the approach I orignally took when I set down this path. T206 Cobb, '33 Goudey Ruth, '41 Play Ball DiMaggio, etc. and hitting key HOFers from a variety of eras in a variety of sets. But, with no particular rhyme or reason. Essentially I was a "HOF type collector."

At shows and auctions I tended to bounce around like someone with ADD (no disrespect intended towards those who suffer from it) and always saw older, mild mannered gentlemen with their neatly folded checklists. No matter what they saw they were unphased and stuck to buying condition sensitive examples on their list, and looked as if death would surely follow if they strayed from the path!

I've come to admire people like that, and I wonder if the focused sense of collecting they have is a common factor that leads to hobby longevity.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:23 pm

Bicem wrote:T3 - when baseball meets art. Widely available.

You're probably the only one who'd tell me to do this, but the more I look at cabinets, the more I am drawn to them. They really are, in most cases, quite spectacular. I feel the lithographs are top notch, and when you look at the same images on their contemporary S81 large silks, they're all the more striking. Oh, how I wish the image of the S81 large silk Grover Alexander had found its way onto a T3 Turkey Red.

There's no impossible card in the set. I think I'd be happy with VG specimens if I were to go down this road, and I don't think I'd have particularly difficulty locating or affording (thank God for steady employment in these dark days).

Plus, when they're in the SGC slabs with the black matte, many of them could easily be considered "ready to hang art."
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:23 pm

Here are some interesting followup statistics from the SGC set registries.

These are not complete sets. In fact, many are nowhere near complete. However, it does provide some insight into the mindset of collectors as to which sets they feel are 'accessible' and worth attempting.

124 - 1909-11 T206 White Border
47 - 1933 Goudey
39 - 1911 T205
27 - 1909 Philadelphia Caramel (E95)
21 - 1909-11 American Caramel Co. (E90-1)
20 - 1911 T201 Mecca Cigarettes
18 - 1912 T202 Hassan Cigarettes
18 - 1934 Goudey
17 - 1915 Cracker Jack
16 - 1910 Standard Caramel Co. (E93)
15 - 1912 T207 Brown Background
13 - 1910 E98
13 - 1913 Fatima Cigarettes (T200)
12 - 1933 DeLong Gum Co.
12 - 1934-36 Diamond Stars
11 - 1914 Cracker Jack
11 - 1941 Play Ball
10 - 1909-10 Briggs Co. Lozenge Markers (E97)
10 - 1910 Philadelphia Caramel (E96)
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bbcard1 Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:08 pm

Although I have not gone for all the back variations and I have about 100 skins among the collection, I have been able to dust off a t205 set in very low grade in about six months for under $3000...Which I am exceptionally happy with.

Best 'accessible' pre-war set for HOF collecting? Th_tinker

bbcard1
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:02 am

Very nice.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down